The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Switchcraft (185 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..19..32..45..58..71~72~73 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 20:38, ElliottB wrote:
Good point. But then, all my reviews will be unavailable to the public. Is there a way to move only part of a thread?

Yikes!!! Smile

Elliott

I may be able to start a forum for SC if you would like. I have to find out about it though. Would you be interested? I have your book.

John Cesta
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Hi John,

Thank you very much for your generous offer.

The book has done a lot better than expected; however, I don’t think there’s much a need for a special forum…YET.

In mid April, I’m probably going to re-evaluate things, and may see if I can still take you up on your offer.

Thanks again,

Elliott
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
Hello,

I posted this review in the Inner Thoughts section but realized that many don't have access to it there. So here's my two cents on Elliott's Switchcraft book:

My name is Ben Cummings. Some of you may know me as the creator of Conversations With Mind Readers. I purchased Elliott's book Switchcraft after hearing many nice things about it.

Well, after purchasing it I assure you it is the bargain of the year. I can't even tell you how many times in my life I have spent $20+ on a single effect only to be utterly disappointed by terrible instructions, stupid method, poor construction, etc. However Elliott's ebook is the clearest I've seen on how to do billet work in the "real world."

And no, I have never met Elliott nor am I getting any financial incentive to write this. In fact, I'd never heard of Elliott prior to purchasing his ebook. I purchased it and am now sharing my enthusiasm for his work. Good work Elliott, and hopefully you'll consider shooting some video showing the billet switches in action as well (although the photo's you provide are already quite clear.)

If you've been on the fence with this purchase... my advice is to get it. Highly recommended.

Best,
Ben Cummings
Author of "Conversations With Mind Readers"

Over 40 hours of interviews with thirty-two Top Mentalists & Mind Readers.

For more info email me at bencummings1@yahoo.com and I will email you a detailed Prospectus.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks again Ben!!!

Regarding video, I already have LOW quality instructional footage for most of the moves (the videos are not in the book.)

A long while back (when I was actually giving this stuff away for free), the instructions had no pictures. People had trouble understanding my gibberish, so I borrowed an old digital camera (the same one I used for the pictures in the book) and shot some videos. It was pretty easy.

One of my goals for a tentative summer update, would be to shoot some new video footage and figure out how to insert the clips into the PDF. Right now, I have no idea how to do that, but how hard can it be?

Thanks again,

Elliott
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Elliot has received some great reviews and comments on Switchcraft, and deservedly so! I am a HUGE fan of billet work and Elliot’s great book on switch-work will eventually rank right up there with other classic tomes on this theme. The switches are very clearly explained and are accompanied with clear color photos. About ten easy and visually deceptive switch variations are taught. His folding and refolding switches are worth the price of the book all by themselves. Great job, Elliot!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-01-02 23:51, ElliottB wrote:
Thanks again Ben!!!

Regarding video, I already have LOW quality instructional footage for most of the moves (the videos are not in the book.)

One of my goals for a tentative summer update, would be to shoot some new video footage and figure out how to insert the clips into the PDF. Right now,

I have no idea how to do that,

but how hard can it be?

Thanks again,

Elliott

The way technology progresses, by the time you want to do it there will be a way for it to happen by itself. And, even right now it is fairly simple to make it happen. Hey, if Michael Close has been doing it for a few years ....

John
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks John,

A fine fellow PM’d me with instructions for embedding video into PDf’s. If I knew it was that easy, the book would have video footage right now.

As it stands, I think I’ll make video one of the primary goals for a tentative summer update mailing.

Most folks seem to have no trouble understanding the written instructions, but I think some video would be a very nice addition.

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 11:03, mindhunter wrote:
Elliot has received some great reviews and comments on Switchcraft, and deservedly so! I am a HUGE fan of billet work and Elliot’s great book on switch-work will eventually rank right up there with other classic tomes on this theme. The switches are very clearly explained and are accompanied with clear color photos. About ten easy and visually deceptive switch variations are taught. His folding and refolding switches are worth the price of the book all by themselves. Great job, Elliot!

Bryn

Thanks Bryn,

I got some really nice mileage out of your Business Coin prediction, so I’m quite glad I was able to return the favor. As discussed I’ll be adding your quote to my site (with the switch names) later tonight. I REALLY appreciate it.

The E.B. Fold Switch and E.B. Ultimate NCP are two of my favorite moves, so I am happy you liked them.

Incidentally, those two moves were taught in the book only because of the generosity of Allen Zingg and Millard Longman. Thanks Allen and Millard!!

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I just added a tip to the updates page. This one concerns the refold switches.

Thanks,

Elliott
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
Elliott,

If one has purchased Switchcraft already how do we access the update page? Thanks and keep up the good work. (I'm having some fun applying your work to some of Gary Kurtz's billet routines that previously were beyond my comfort level.)

Best,
Ben Cummings
Author of "Conversations With Mind Readers"

Over 40 hours of interviews with thirty-two Top Mentalists & Mind Readers.

For more info email me at bencummings1@yahoo.com and I will email you a detailed Prospectus.
gaafman
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of gaafman
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
The best thing about Switchcraft is that after reading it I came up with a lot of own routines. Well done, Elliott. Switchcraft was my best purchase in 2006.

Do you plan to release a second edition containing routines by satisfied purchasers? Smile

Gábor
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks Gabor!!!

One of my goals, was to present things in a manner where creative folks could easily write billet routines of their own. That’s why your post really made my day.

There are no guarantees, but I plan to send out revised editions from time to time. I want to correct some minor errors, possibly add video footage and maybe even include some new routines.

Time is very tight through mid-April (I am a CPA by profession), so the earliest opportunity for an update would probably be Summer-2007.

Reader contributions of material would definitely be appreciated and, at my discretion, may end up in the next update. In fact, I have already received one excellent reader contribution. A French mentalist has also mentioned the possibility of contributing both techniques and routines.

If you own Switchcraft and wish to contribute a routine for the tentative update, please send it to the email address listed on page 112 of the book. Please also include any required credits. I can’t guarantee that the routine will end up in the book. However, if it does, you will be listed as the author. By sending a routine, you are, of course, giving me permission to include it in a tentative future update (and distribute at my discretion.) Routines may also be edited or formatted.

Due to “Busy Season”, I am a bit short of time right now. Therefore, it may take a little longer than usual for me to reply to emails. However, I’ll try to be as quick as time permits.

Also, if anyone would like to send a quote for the web-site, that would be great too.

Thanks again,

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2007-01-09 23:29, Ben Cummings wrote:
Elliott,

If one has purchased Switchcraft already how do we access the update page? Thanks and keep up the good work. (I'm having some fun applying your work to some of Gary Kurtz's billet routines that previously were beyond my comfort level.)

Best,
Ben Cummings

Oops. Sorry Ben. I somehow didn't see your question. It’s really great to hear that you’re getting good mileage out of the techniques. Thank you!! The link is all the way on the bottom of the main site. However, I see that gaafman already took care of things. Thanks gaafman!!

Elliott
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi
In the Read section, U........ M..., I am a bit confused.
Do you insert between the 2 closest to your palm or
the 2 closest to you
I've tried both and because it is hard to do, I want to make sure that I learn
the right one lol
Using both, I find it hard to avoid flashing
So I assume that the working hand is out of the spec's view?
TJ
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
The two folds farther from your palm (and closer to you.)

The move is easier if you pre-condition the business card by doing the U.M. a few times.

I also PM'd you with some additional information that you may find useful.

Thanks,

Elliott
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Regarding flashing, I never do the U.M without cover (table, back to spectator, loose pocket, pad etc.)

Otherwise, I would need really giant hands.

Back in the day, mediums used the U.M. when placing a billet into a hat.

To me, it’s just a way to perform a certain action a little quicker (and with one hand.) At least, that’s the way I’ve been using it.

Therefore, at least to my knowledge, TJ's assumption is correct.

I’m curious. Does anyone use the U.M. (without extra cover) as a full blown “in their face” Read?

Maybe, I still have something to learn about this classic technique…
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-01-16 23:49, ElliottB wrote:
I’m curious. Does anyone use the U.M. (without extra cover) as a full blown “in their face” Read?

That WOULD be a good one
Let's see if anybody answers lol
Thanks for the advice
TJ
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I would have to relate the "in your face" read as some of Richard Busch's handlings on some of his peeks. I wouldn't relate them directly to the U.M., but he gets very bold.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thanks Johne,

Gotta check out Richard’s stuff one of these days...

Thanks again,

Elliott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Switchcraft (185 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..19..32..45..58..71~72~73 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL