The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How much magic do you need for a resturant? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Deuce
View Profile
New user
Okaloma
18 Posts

Profile of Deuce
Hello,

I have been reading about, you not needing to carry much on you. My question is, what do you do when the same people keep coming back?

Right now, here's what I carry:

1 Invisible Deck
1 Reg. Deck, almost new.
1 Brand New - un-opened deck.
1 set of Hopping Halves.
1 set of 4 sponge balls. (I do the color changeing rountine, from one of the members here on the forums.)

I also carry a sharpie marker or two, and that's about it.

Do I need more, or is this enough?

Thanks,
Deuce
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
You got enough! Great job! It's just me, but I would also say to add another coin trick. But that's just me.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Deuce
View Profile
New user
Okaloma
18 Posts

Profile of Deuce
Ben,

Thank you for your advice. I am now working on Mr. Clean Coins across, and a good coin production.

Also, I forgot, I carry a T.T. and 36" silk streamer.

Thanks,
Deuce
rvigon
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
266 Posts

Profile of rvigon
I think that's enough, because you don't want to overcrowd your pockets. But, are we talking functions here or more restaurant work? Because when I do functions, I do the same set on all tables and do all tables.

If someone comes up to me at the end, I may just do a card trick or CMH but in a restaurant you need to be more versatile. This doesn't necesarily mean more things to carry, just lengthen your routine, add a few more card bits and always be prepared for someone asking you for more.

Maybe practice 2 or 3 routines and split your time out per routine, eg... 3 hr gig, 1 hr each, also that way if you do get a standing ovation, you can hit them with another set.

Well, that's my 2 cents, hope it helped
"No brilliance is required in magic, just determination and relatively clean fingernails."
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
If you want to carry more... I would suggest you buy a topit... great place to store about anything....

koz
Deuce
View Profile
New user
Okaloma
18 Posts

Profile of Deuce
Thanks for the help everyone!

rvigon, it is a resturant. People are coming and going all the time, however, there are some that will stay a couple of hours and just hang out with their friends.

tedb, What do you recommend in the way of a Topit? Should I get a video, and make one. Or do they sell them pre-made?

Thanks,
Deuce
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I have an Ammar topit, which is almost an industry standard... however, I like the Cellini topit.... it's easier to deal with.... if you want info on the Cellini topit, you can e-mail me

koz
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I carry a lot. It's always in the same place on my person so I do not feel cluttered....

3 or 4 sponge balls RPP
4 half dollars RPP
2 Safety Pins LJP
Deck of cards LJP
Many Business cards LJTP
Card to Wallet wallet RJBP
RubberBands LPP
Micro Chop Cup & balls RJP
Deck set up for multiple Card Warps LIBP
TT&Silk &Micro Magic Wand LPP
Sharpie and ballpoint pen RJBP

I also wear a fanny pack that has extra decks of cards, rubber bands, etc.
Nobody sees this because it is at my back
under my jacket.

The fanny pack holds everything I use so I just pack it all up when I'm done and it's ready to go for next time.

For the most part, I try to use Peter Marucci's idea of not having more than one trick per pocket. I do this unless there can be no problem getting to each one individually.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5412 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I believe pete is right... don't tell him I said so though... ok

I have a bunch of stuff in my pockets... BUT, I have little pockets sewn into my pockets, so if I'm doing say, a corner tear... I know where the corner is at... never have to look.....

koz....
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Quote:
On 2003-01-03 14:02, Deuce wrote:
Hello,

I have been reading about your not needing to carry much on you. My question is, what do you do when the same people keep coming back?

Right now, here's what I carry:

1 Invisible Deck
1 Reg. Deck, almost new.
1 Brand New - un-opened deck.
1 set of Hopping Halves.
1 set of 4 sponge balls. (I do the color changing rountine, from one of the members here on the forums.)

I also carry a sharpie marker or two, and that's about it.

Do I need more, or is this enough?

Thanks,
Deuce

I would add some rubber bands and some regular non gimmick coins.

Why do you carry two decks, a used one and a new one? If you are going to carry 2 decks use them, have a gimmicked card in 1 for Red Hot Mamma, or, set up a stack with one.

You could also carry a shoelace for a ring and string routine. This stuff you can add and not take up anymore room.

Also you could learn "other" effects with the cards or coins. I do about 4 effects with just cards.

abitious card
cards across
card under seat
multi selection

coins:
coins thru table
coins across
coin under watch
small 1 coin flurry to jumbo coin jumbo coin vanish into my topit
signed coin (.25) to sugar pack.

Also learn other effects, like watch stealing or effects with table stuff, such as sugar packs (TT sugar vanish/sweet~n~low C Andwers), napkins (paper tears/restore spong paper balls, G Wilson), silverware(bending or Sankey ring on spoon), reg pen (recap, G Wilson), Sankey has a great impomtu cup and ball routine with a coffee creamer.

You could do coin in sugar pack or add a jumbo coin for an end production after a coin flurry. Once again this will very easily fit in your back pocket along with something else. You could add twisting arm illusion or the other thing where you cross your arms then turn them over.

The main thing is how you interact with the people at the table.. If they like you they will like what you do..
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
I would definitely pick up deluxe pen thru dollar-I have refered to it a lot on the Magic Café, because I like it so much and it doesn't take up space. It's just a regular pocket item that most people have with them. I like it a lot and recommend it, it gets great reactions-Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
Great ideas. I have a toppit that helps with pocket management. Mine is a hybred between an Ammar and Cloutier toppit. I would really be interested in the Cellini toppit. And I also carry a d'lite for the little kiddies. Smile Smile
Izzy
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
See my "Pro-Files" article on Visions about Restaurant repertoires at:

http://www.online-visions.com/pro-files/0201.html
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Kahless the Great
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Kahless the Great
I am a working strolling magician. I am working 7 nights a week doing table hopping. There is a book called The Restaurant Workers Handbook. Buy it, read it. With the information in the book you have more than enough information to start working in restaurants. The act that I use is all done in the hands( mine or the spectators) for the simple reason that the props are under my control and I do not have to worry about them getting dropped, wet, or damaged. I have an out for every trick and a different way to perform the same act so if I see the same people again they see something different. I do have my special tricks like birthday, anniversary or holiday things like that. My act last about 10 minutes and is quick, visiual, to the point and best of all it is reset at the end.
If you would like to know some advice here is my email darrinfranklyn@comcast.net

Smile
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I carry about 12 effects on me, but I could work all night using only four - - two effects to use at certain tables and two other effects to use at other tables. I carry 12 effects on my only so that I don't get bored performing the same four effects.
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Exactly, if I did all the same stuff all night every night I would get bored
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Deuce
View Profile
New user
Okaloma
18 Posts

Profile of Deuce
Hello,

Thank you all for your help! I am working on learning some more coin magic, and C.M.H.

Also, I will be working on some stuff with rings, strings, ect.

Thanks again!

Deuce
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
I used to carry a virtual truckload of gear in a home depot hardware carrying case.

But then I watched all the magic that was possible with a couple coins and some napkins after watching Greg Wilson's "On the Spot." If you're gearing up to do a LOT of restuarant/wal aroudn work, and you want to see the miracles and audience involvement possible with (literally) a few coins and napkins, getting, studying and learning some of Greg's material will take you very far in this field.

Just my opinion of course...
Author of "Conversations With Mind Readers"

Over 40 hours of interviews with thirty-two Top Mentalists & Mind Readers.

For more info email me at bencummings1@yahoo.com and I will email you a detailed Prospectus.
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
I carry always: two sponge balls for a routine with only two sponge balls, one deck of cards, four half dollar coins and one silver coin and a Jumbo Coin, a magic wand, a silk, a regular thumb tip for some effects with sugar, a magnetic thumb tip for some magic with spoons, and a money paddle. I don´t overcharge my pockets I have everything accesible and I can setup everything quickly.

MAGO68
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
I always used about 10-12 effects per night, but most done with the same things I had with me. If I had ungimmicked half dollars with me, there were three or four routines I could do with those. Same with cards. By alternating the 10-12 effects per night, I could come back the next week with different things in my pockets, and do other effects as well. That way, if we got repeat customers, I wouldn't be in danger of repeating effects. I'd guess that my restaurant repetoire consisted of a total of 40 effects, but used only a few items. I had two different routines I could do with a chop cup. It kept me from getting bored and kept the restaurant management happy because I seemed to have new effects each week. Little did they know it was just variations on a theme, so to speak.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How much magic do you need for a resturant? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL