The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Need help with bill switch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
garcia00
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of garcia00
Although I have 30+ years exp., I have never learned the bill switch. I started last month, and have perfected it with one exception. That is the reinsertion of the bill into the gimmick, under the cover of the 3rd unfold, and the handling of the gimmick thereafter until it is in its final destination. The inverse trip of the gimmick is perfect, which makes this part so noticable and I am not making progress. Not sure if it is the position of the gimmick, how it is moved/held during each fold, or something else.

Hope this is not exposure, I don't see how it could be. If you fear exposure, please PM with any help.

Thanks.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I will PM you as I am not sure how my response would be taken.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Check out the switch book? or do you have that? it has many many swiches in great detail
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Michael Ammar's CLASSIC RENDITIONS DVD (I forgot which volume) is the best (IMO) video for this effect that I have been doing for over 15 years.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It's actually much easier without a gimmick. There are a number of commercial handlings - I'm sure that The Switch Book has a few.

There's also a good, gimmickless handling in Jarle Leirpoll's Pocket Power.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 07:17, Alan Munro wrote:
It's actually much easier without a gimmick. There are a number of commercial handlings - I'm sure that The Switch Book has a few.

There's also a good, gimmickless handling in Jarle Leirpoll's Pocket Power.

It is highly a mater of opinion, many people think a TT is better.

Bob
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
A bill switch with a TT means more stuff to hide. It is way easier without one.
FredrikS
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of FredrikS
Is a mater of taste.. I can highly recommend THE SWITCH, their you can toy around with handling's of both with or without a tt. Plus you will get many good routine´s

All the best!

Fredrik
"Fly me to the moon"
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2007-06-17 23:29, THEGUY26 wrote:
A bill switch with a TT means more stuff to hide. It is way easier without one.

I have no problem with you thinking bare handed is better FOR YOU, but to say "It is way easier without one" is narrow minded. I have used (and demonstrated in a magic shop) both for many years, and for many people the TT is better FOR THEM. I am able to show both my hands open as I start the fold down.

FOR ME that outweighs the small inconvenience of dropping a TT in my pocket as they are examining the bill. This is hardly my biggest worry about ditching things.

Bob
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
I'm totally with bob on this one. No matter how smooth your switch is or how good your presentational skills are; some people will always look for a second bill. This is exactly why some magicians stay away from the bill switch.

The gimmick works very disariming for these kind of people. You can show your hands cleanly and empty in a very subtle, convincing way.

@ Garcia00:
I think this is a proble that we all have. I must admit I haven't seen a magician that does this very naturally. Even 'big guys'like Jay Sankey and Ammar. This is another reason why some people stay clear of the koslowski bill switch. In mine opinion it's a flaw in the handling.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

I think it would be easier for someone new to the bill switch.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If you decide to use a TT, make sure it's slipery. The Japanese model is great for silk work but you'll need one that allows paper to slide along the surface.

I took the wrong style to a show last week and became stuck at the critical moment because the TT was the wrong composition of material. However, I like the TT better then the no TT method because I have a little coin pocket inside my pants pocket which keeps the parts exactly where I can get to them in an orderly mannor.

One last point, color should have NO efect on the performance. If you use it correctly it could be green with white rhine stones attached. I have even used a dye tube when someone requested to see the trick and had not planed to present the it that day.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Just get the Vernet Classic Thumb Tip. That is the standard for bill switches.
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
The Vernet Thumb Tip works the best for me. The bill switch is one of my staples of close up magic.I never leave home without it.and have been able to escape from being busted.I don't have a problem hiding or ditching the tip. I take the borrowed bill and ask who gave me this bill? and at that time one hand goes in one pocket and the other in the other pocket, I drop the bill in one and the tip in the other.,everybody laughs and then I give the bill back to it's owner. Just my 2cents
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Another reson I don't like the Thumb Tip, is because I would have less pocket space. The bill "change" I use is the Juan Bill Switch. That one is also in The Switch Book.
CaptRitz
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of CaptRitz
Quote:
On 2007-06-23 21:21, magicdoctor wrote:
I don't have a problem hiding or ditching the tip. I take the borrowed bill and ask who gave me this bill? and at that time one hand goes in one pocket and the other in the other pocket, I drop the bill in one and the tip in the other.,everybody laughs and then I give the bill back to it's owner. Just my 2cents

I like that one...
It's a natural/
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I use a slippery plastic TT, made in Germany by a contact-not Vernet-not smooth enough but I have used them

On the third fold the TT is slid into the right hand-all part of the natural movement of the fold

On the third move unfolding the bill the TT is slid back into LH-easy & smooth

I also lick my right thumb so you can have a better grip on the paper etc before I start-helps a lot!!, I change a blank piece of paper to a $20 Bill-I have many precut to the same size & the effect of a blank piece changing to a green coloured bill is visually strong & gets a great reaction

I have used this for many years in close up & street performances surrounded & never had a problem ditching the tip-just don't do it straight away-theres no need!

as mentioned in many above posts-If you are comfortable with a method & any gimmick that you use-this effect is so strong for lay audience

I must perform this casually 8-10 times a week in shops etc-& have booked many shows soley through this effect being shown to someone!!!

Cheers
OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
Classic Renditions Volume 3 is said to be the best resource for the TT bill switch. Ammar's site has the lowest price I've seen for it and I just ordered mine last week. I really need to improve my horrible handling for Mismade Bill.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I also have trouble using a TT, my skin is dry, and I get no traction.

Brent: is there an online store that sells these slippery TTs?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
TheAstonishingLarry
View Profile
Regular user
I aspire to more than only
183 Posts

Profile of TheAstonishingLarry
In response to the original question, I believe that Ammar's variation of the standard fold will solve your problem. I too am finally getting around to learning the switch and came across MA's handling in his book, "The Magic of Michael Ammar." It's one of those solutions that'll have you thinking, "Now why didn't I think of that?"
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Need help with bill switch (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL