We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I take magic lessons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
I was wondering If I should take magic lessons. Theres a new shop that just opened up from me. I was talking to the owner who is a pro magician. The lessons are 30.00 per month plus cost of props. Cards silks gimmiks ect.... that's rate is 7.50 a hour. Hes been all around the world doing his magic. I just recently got back into magic. I want to take lessons. He has an adult class that meets on mondays. I don't want to learn sponge balls or selfworking tricks. I know that stuff already. Looking to lear slights and parlore stuff. I will take to him. He said he does a lot of card stuff. Which I would love to learn a lot more of. Let me know what you think

Scott
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
From my personal experience I try to get as much info as I can on what I want to learn. I have a growing library and video collection aimed at what things I want to excel at. I practise at least 4 hours a day and am constantly reading or watching material to help further my growth. I joined the IBM and my local ring and this has helped nuture my magic. I don't know if I could get the self fufillment from a magic lesson. This maybe redundant because if you purchase a book or video you are paying for a magic lesson. I prefer to learn things on my own and then ask for suggestions on what I can do to better the effect or sleight.
$30 bucks is cheap I say if you have the dough then go for it. If it doesn't work out it will be a lesson learned either way.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
Suppo
View Profile
Regular user
Indianapolis
101 Posts

Profile of Suppo
I would have jumped at the chance to learn from someone with experience. It isn't easy to find outside major metropolitan areas. Heck my parents paid for so many types of lessons while I was growing up and regarding activities I no longer do, this would have been pretty cheap. Given the right person I would still pay for lessons.

Knowing what I know now though, you might inquire as to memberships he has as well as do a search to see if he is what he says he is. Magicians aren't like Doctors, CPAs, or Attorneys where claming something would have legal consequences. Also, I have heard specific stories of beginners holding themselves out as pros just to make some quick money knowing the beginner would have no idea of the difference.

That all said, having someone who teaches you the fundamentals, is as interested in your performance as you are, and helps you do it well is definitely worth that price.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That's an excellent rate. He probably charges more for private lessons, but start off with a class and then you can compare notes with then other students as to how he is as a teacher. If you don't like it, at least you will have learned some more magic and can look for another teacher elsewhere. If you do like it, you may want to learn all he can teach you, both in class and in private lessons for advanced work.

One question to ask him is if he is a member of any magic organizations and if he will sponsor his students to get in to those organizations.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
That is a good rate, and nothing beats hands-on learning. I say go for it.
Aim To Amaze
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
But don't rely on him. Get your own style.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
I say learn what you can from books.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
When someone can show you a few things and tricks of the trade which you will find hard to understand from a book as a beginner, you will find it extremely valuable, plus you have a built in critic who can help you improve your moves. In addition, it will help you to be able to learn from books when you get some of the basic moves down That is an extremely reasonable price. I'd go for it. Instruction of any kind will help greatly your advance and understanding of magic
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Give it a shot. It might turn out great . . . but remember that it all depend on yourself
Cards never lie
scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
Thanks guys. Im going to meet up with him tomorrow. The adult classes are Monday nights at 7:00pm. Hes doing cards coins and sponge balls as I know right now. Theres only 3 other people in the class. So it should be easier to learn. I m the 4th person going to sign up. I will keep you guys posted. Its only 30.00 for the month. I could spend that on a dvd watch it once and It will sit on the self.

Scott
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
820 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Personal lessons are the best. Your teacher will let you see what the spectators see. I am a teacher of slight of hand close-up magic and I can speak for any teacher of magic that realy respects his art. A good teacher and a determiend student makes for a great slight of hand artest in the making. Good luck
Maker of Copper /Silver coin gaffs +

https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Take the lessons and ask your teacher if he knows of any I.B.M. or S.A.M. rings in your area to consider joining.

http://www.magician.org/
http://www.magicsam.com/

Dan
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
346 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Lessons did great for me. Have never regretted taking them. Only took private lessons and started when I was 20 after 10 years of learning and performing on my own. It really expanded what I learned and my ability with sleight of hand. Also improved my incentives and initiative in learning. 30 years later, I still use what I learned and only wish I could have taken more lessons from him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I take magic lessons (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL