We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Gimme a Stage! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
There seems to me to not be very many stages that a classic manipulation act can be presented on. So far I have only performed my Act on difficult stages (angles!) in grotty bars in caberet acts (which don't pay) and at magic events. My act is not funny, so I have stayed away from approaching Comody clubs (and they don't really pay too well either).

So in the post-music hall days, where do you present your act?

Paul
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Ahhhh, the search for a venue! Yes, the eternal answer seeking a question! This is a great point to make. The answer really revolves around what your performing goals are.
If you wish to make money from your craft, you will need to figure out who would buy your services, why they would buy your services and how you can get yourself into "the loop" with them.
For most of us, the regular money comes from being very flexible in where we can work; parties, outdoor festivals, country club events, banquets, schools, each of these type situations has money for entertainment we can try to get.
If you do a very specialized kind of presentation; like a hardcore manip act or black art or fire or whatever, then your needs upon the venue make life much more difficult.
Now you have to go get your own venue. Rent your own stage, promote your own show, done your way. It can be very rewarding but it is also risky money wise. Perhaps you can develop some "bullet proof" material that you can do at the more common gigs, make some money and invest in your own show as you go. I understand your troubles.
There are some folks who have tried methods to staging to help the angles by bringing thier own backdrops, etc in order to gain control to a degree but it is a tough issue to overcome.
So...first question; what kind of venue would you like to perform in and what would be the requirements of the performance area?
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Well, my requirements I don't think are too harsh, just a small 'stage', music, and angle wise, I can work pretty broad, but not with folks under my nose!

For material, I can work in any venue, I have done street shows, to proper stage, to close-up. But the thing is, my favourite thing to perform is the manip act, but it's what I perform the least too. There is just too much stacked against it, not just stage, but it's a short act of 10mins, so you're not going to be hired for an evenings entertainment alone.

And the dream of your own venue! Ah, someday! I'm actually hoping to go on to Cruise Ships, in about a year or so, so at the moment I'm trying to develop different material, and get more performance experience. I'm starting with the 10mins I've got solid, and in the background trying to figure out what to do to develop a full evening show. I guess I'm at an awkward stage in the growth to a pro, wondering where do you get experience performing stage work in order to develop the full show.

All the manipulators who have their full-show seemed to start with an Act, McBride and his Masks, Lance Burton and Roy Davenport with their FISM winning Acts... I wonder where Lance presented his Act before taking it to the competitions?

Perhaps, I'm just having a grumble,
Paul
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
You go Paul. Good luck and "stage" the perfect act!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
I say go ahead and take it to comedy clubs, schools, anywhere. The point is you want to do the act. You can't sit around and wait for the perfect venue to come up. What Jeff uses today in his mask act was developed over a time period of an hour and a half train ride to a comedy club and back for measley $50.00 bucks. And you are right, you can't charge a good sum of money for 10 min. So have this be your awesome opener for trade shows, corporate gigs, everthing. I once was asked to open for a traveling magicians and comedian at the local comedy club. All of the audience drank and I didn't think they would like my act. All I had been working on recently was my parasol act. Fall over dead, they loved it. All of the druk, rude people gave me a standing ovation. Go figure.
"The problem is we don't aim too high and miss, we aim too low and hit it." - Michael Angelo

Matt
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1702 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Good advice from above!

Use your manipulation act as either an opener or middle section of your 35-40 min show that you will develop over time

we all perform different effects for various shows-I have a completly different street act for festivals & market days/paradesetc-I also have a cabaret show & a full stage show

Advice-create a longer act-get out & perform anywhere for experience & in time you will find what you like as an act may not be what a lay audience will like!!

so then comes the decision to drop favourite effects & pusue an act that is viable to clubs, corporates, stage etc & you may also find most of your manipulation act will still be used!!

This is what I did over many years-take note-many years!!

Now when performing I know its an act that audiences will enjoy through my trial & error & big crowds-

attached pic is 1 of 4 nights we had over 700 in the hall each night-half of audience is not even in the pic!!

next day I was performing on the street for 25!!

Good luck

Click here to view attached image.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
You can either change the venues you perform at or you can change your act to fit the venues you currently perform in. I did the latter.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1702 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2006-12-23 03:01, Alan Munro wrote:
You can either change the venues you perform at or you can change your act to fit the venues you currently perform in. I did the latter.

Alan sums up exactly what will be a success for you at some stage of your career

I also changed my act to suit the venues

Thanks Alan
Metone
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Metone
It is also good to have different acts to accomodate the venue I have several and can change depending on what is required anytime.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
I've seen paul do some work on the street and in doors and it's stunning, it seems a shame he'd have to change it,to fit some of these venues we as manips dread workin for bread and butter...but I think its true,to a degree we all gotta eat...and its always good to get booked alot,and to acually be gettin paid stage time.

I remember my agent telling me to wear a tux and produce rabbits{to my dread} so I went and bought a tux I liked. and low and behold I started gettin all the gigs I could do.....only did the rabbit once!

that said tho I know europe is more cabaret oriented then the states and I would hope paul,that you could find or make the nitch so that the manip parlor tradition in the form we've all come to love, could go on.

infact there could be a trend here some how, look how blain [settle down!]changed not only tv magic but tv it self [exp.- reality shows].

I know eddie izzard started by renting a hall......i dunno I'm a dreamer,and not a rich one, so I guess this should be take with a grain of fingernails....uh salt.
Metone
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Metone
Now you got me thinking there Jimmy. I will post my thoughts soon.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Thanks Jimmy, you're most kind.

It was a while ago since I vented my frustrations here on the café, so let me update you as to where my frustrations have lead me...
I'm still working Cabarets, but I've made it up a rung on the ladder, starting to get paid Cabaret work, and doing more, and posher venues. It's still a fight to get a stage, but I'm doing better.
But it seems as though my efforts are not going unnoticed. I've had 2 big breaks: the chance to get to Vegas, and being asked to be the magic for the biggest magic show London has seen for 50 years. Neither are dead certs, but it's a long way off where I was 1 month ago, and there are smaller things going on.
There are stages around, but you've gotta work hard to get there, be patient, and stubborn. So I'm still doing Cabarets, got a competition next week, and I'll be at a few more over the next year or two. Hopefully all my dreams will come true and I'll get a stage in Vegas, do some ships, do China, and then bring all my experience back to the UK. UK was the home of magic in the early 20th Century, no reason as to why magic can't make a big come back...
Another poor dreamer... for now!
Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Gimme a Stage! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL