The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Sensation or Pop It? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Does anyone one use the effect and if you do, do you put the dove in from the side or the top?

Daytona Magic sells one where you put the dove in the top, I did not like the looks of it.

Hank Lee advertises one and I have sent him a e-mail but no answer yet.

I believe Ricky Dunn put the dove in the side.?

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5118 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
James, I believe it depends on who the manufacturer is. I've never seen it done from the top. With mine, you put the dove in from the side and it almost automatically goes where it should. In my opinion, putting it in from the top would be awkward
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
I agree with Dave. I had one at one time and went in from the side. From the top is just a little akward. You have to change the positioning of your arms which makes for more movement, when going from the side is a more natural movement and easier.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The ones I make from Dollar Store supplies go in from the side, as the original described in the Encyclopedia of Dove Magic (Volume 2) does. My version has some slight variations that allow me to transform the dove into a flower (or flowers) or other items besides a silk.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I use one from Hank Lee that you put the dove in from the side. It has always worked great for me.
Zaubern Smile
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Thanks everyone for the info. Hank Lee e-mailed me back and said that the one he sales is a side loader.

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Good for you....that is probably the one you want...a side loader....
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hey Guys,

How much stress is put on the bird during this effect? I've never owned one or done it, but I do remember watching someone years ago perform it and it looked like when he popped up the white silk, the motion had to be rough on the bird. I see Hank advertises that it is perfectly safe for the bird.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Rob
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5118 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Rob, there's no more stress on the dove than there is with the tail vanish, if you're familiar with that. You put the dove inside, then just open the mat with a slight snap. The dove really doesn't even move unless you hold the opened mat at the top after the change and let it hang. Even then, the dove only moves a short distance. It's less traumatic than producing from a body load.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
True...even more less stress than an IDH production.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Thanks Dave
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Speaking from personal experience, the one available from Hank Lee is 100% safe.
Zaubern Smile
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I was doing some research in order to list sources and credits for my Dollar Store "Silk To Dove Mat" and discovered that the version Daytona Magic produces is very likely the "Gambini Dove Vanish" which can be found in Ian Adair's Encyclopedia of Dove Magic (volume 1). The dove indeed is loaded into the top of the folded banner in that method.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I've spent too many years living in New Jersey. That name in the above post should be spelled "Gambani," which is the stage name of Irish magician Derrick Latham. No relation to the Italian "Gambini" family.
Professor Spellbinder

brycol24
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of brycol24
Does anyone know of a video to see someone performing this illusion? I am interested in seeing it performed before I go out and get one.

Thanks,

Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Sensation or Pop It? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL