We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Conjunction - linking business card (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1116 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2007-01-09 17:57, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Naw! Jeff!

I too have very unique, distinctive, and expensive cards.
But that's not deterring me.

I'm having an alternate set of cards made,
with just a "clever" message line, and my web-address.

This is just too powerful a give-away to pass on.
Reconsider!

Magically,
Walt

I'm with you here, Walt. I just placed an order for "Conjunction" and I plan on having some business cards made up just for this effect. I'm becoming more and more interested in adding unique giveaways to my repetoire instead of adding more tricks.

As a side note, I just purchased Robert Neale's wonderful "Folding Money Fooling" to learn the Bunny Bill (Rabbitt from the Hat origami dollar bill fold) and I'm also printing some business cards on Bicycle Playing Cards (blanks) so as to morph a 'six of hearts' playing card into my business card by way of Masuda's "WOW".

Thank you Mr. Quinn for another valuable giveaway item for magicians!
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Just a quick note to let everyone know that my initial batch of the booklets has sold out. All outstanding orders have been shipped, so if you've ordered one it's on the way. I've ordered more, and I should have them within a couple weeks. So I'm still accepting orders, but know that if you order now you'll have a little bit of a wait.

Jerome, no, never performed it on TV.

Shawn, I'd love to see what kind of design a real graphic designer comes up with for the card.

MJ Marrs, glad you like it!
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
Joshua,

I have it and love the effect. It actually suits my existing cards perfectly - conclusive proof of my extraordinary powers of premonition.

I must comment on the writing of the booklet. Apart from being well produced and very clearly explained, I really enjoyed it just for the read. You are a funny guy!

Fantastic!

Lynne
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
I know some people out there are having problems finding the right paper for this wonderful routine, so I decided to see what I could find. I have access to hundreds of paper samples, so here are the current results.

I have not been able to track down the Tomohawk paper that Quinn refers to in the book. I've heard it has been merged with another product. I am looking into this.

Domtar Feltweave (www.domtar.com) is not bad. The 65# (pound) is a little better than the 80# because it's easier to fold and tear. They both hide the "work" well. The Natural color seems to be the best.

The Fox River Sundance paper is pretty good as well. I don't know that the Navajo or Maize (as Quinn suggested) is the best choice as they have added recycled fibers to the paper which will make disguising the work a bit harder. Instead try the bright white or natural white. I would also try the 65# AND the 80# cover.

I think the Passport Sundance Felt is pretty good too. The three colors that Quinn mentioned are readily available. I'm going to get some samples of each and try them out.

I came across two others:
Synergy Felt by Smart Papers (www.smartpapers.com) in the white, natural, or ivory.

Another that may work is Oxford Paper in the the Holly Hunt Collection from Gilbert Paper (www.gilbertpaper.com). They are not a traditional felt but they may work. Try the White, Innocent White or the Cream.

I haven't tried these, but I plan to get some samples and will let you all know.

That's what I have so far. I hope this helps.

Best
shawn
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I received mine about a week ago.

First of all I was dead impressed with the quick turn around of placing my order and it flying across the Atlantic and through my letter box. Awsome service!

Ok, so conjunction. Is it any good?

The simple and most straight forward answer is YES! its brillient.

It opens up a whole new way of thinking about stuff. Not just business cards, but things in general. Brillient.

If you're considering getting it, you really have to make sure you follow the steps exactly as written. Don't do what I did and go straight for the tear. It won't work out.

After realising my mistake, and going back to the beginning, following the instructions was easy. They are clearly written and very understandable.

The feeling that you get after making your first link is totally unbelieveable. Whilst making it I still had that tiny doubt in the back of my mind that it wouldn't work. But it does!!!

Everyone I've shown the links to have been blown away.

They all ask how it was done, and I find it so hard not to tell them. The method is even more devilish than the finished product.

All I would ask, is now I've got mine can you stop making them please?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Lynne, I'll bet you say that to all the guys about whom it is plainly, blindingly, self-evidently true. Such a compliment from Lynne is doubly flattering because, though she's too modest to mention it, she is a gifted writer herself with numerous published works to her name, one of which I'm thoroughly enjoying at the moment.

Shawn, thanks so much for that valuable info. I've just heard from another Conjunction user that a recent batch of Passport paper didn't work so well (apparently they changed it somehow from the stuff I got). And since Tomohawk is apparently no longer made, I'm really glad you've found some other options. I'll be getting in touch to ask about your results.

Roslyn, so glad you liked it. Let us know how you get along with performing it while balancing a keg on your chin.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
Some new updated info for all conjunctioneers:

Tomohawk paper by mohawk has a new name. It is called VIA Felt.
You can go to http://www.mohawkpaper.com and order up to 5 sheets of each color and weight for free. That's right FREE!

Enjoy
shawn
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Quinn,

Any updates on the next batch?

Cordially,
S.D.Long
Hello.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Stephen and everyone else waiting for a copy: long story short, there was a printing glitch, and this batch got delayed. I'm expecting them in about three weeks from now. Apologies all around for the delay. The upside is that the new batch will have updated information about types of paper and where to get them.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2007-02-09 12:05, Quinn wrote:
Stephen and everyone else waiting for a copy: long story short, there was a printing glitch, and this batch got delayed. I'm expecting them in about three weeks from now. Apologies all around for the delay. The upside is that the new batch will have updated information about types of paper and where to get them.

Hi Quinn,
Can you please email or PM me (other buyers too), where to get them?
Thanks,
Harish
To believe is Magic.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of papawemba
At first, I was a little afraid seeing all the step to achieve the final linked cards but I really loved the final product (the description are really excellent with pictures etc..). Now that I had more time, I actually try it exactly as describe and was successfull in first try Smile Show it to a friend who know everything about everything but had no clue how this could be done ! My second try was even much better and of course easier.
And now it even get fun to fold and tear this card Smile
This is a must to have ! Quinn, congratulation on this, you must have worked a lot to achieve and understand all this fold/tear for such an excellent result.

Nicolas
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Nicholas, I'm glad it's working for you. I know doing the work in front of people can be scary at first, but you have to remember, they have no idea what's coming or what to watch for.

Harish, I missed your post above until just now; sorry for the late response. Basically, the Sundance paper mentioned in the book is still good, and now gets my top recommendation. Tomohawk paper is no longer made, and has been replaced by a product called Via Felt paper. It works, but it's not quite as easy as the old stuff. The Flax and Jute colors are the best. And Passport paper has apparently been changed and is no longer as easy to work with, so I've axed it from the book.

And just to let everyone know, the next batch has arrived, so all outstanding orders have been shipped, and I've got them on hand and ready to send out once again.
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I got my copy of CONJUNCTION a few weeks back, and went right into rehearsal for a show, so I haven't had a chance to write up any kind of review or evaluation.

But boy do I have one.

Uno: This is marvelous, in the dictionary sense of the word. It evokes marvelling, confusion, amusement, and (in a select few) the kind of "oh I know how he did that" response provided by people who hate not knowing how things work.

Dos: Practice. Practice. Practice. I actually started 'working out' with Avery ink jet business card stock - a box of 1000 cards will run you about $20 at your local office supply store. It helps that this is what I've been using for my business cards (on account of I am cheap). Thus, you can shred as many cards as you want for a fairly low cost.

Tres: There are 3ply cards out there which totally confuse and befuddle me. F'rinstance, the cards my Day Job gives me (begins with a Y and ends with a !) are wonderful three-ply card stock which turns anyone attempting to 'put the work in' into a frustrated gibbering wreck.

Fours: While practicing, go slow. No, slower than that. Noooo... slower than THAT. What you want to be able to do is put the moves in with *accuracy* first, then work up your speed.

Five: Some of us can't tear a straight line to save our lives. I'm one of those people. So I grew out my right thumbnail a bit to act as an "edge" to facilitate tearing. Of course, having a slightly longer thumbnail is useful for other things too, but...

This is one of those things which is certainly not an 'out of the box miracle', but, it's worth the time and effort. Totally.
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Mike Giusti
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Mike Giusti
Hey, all.

Joshua Quinn, creator of Conjunction, will be my guest on the Mike on the Mic Show Tuesday, February 27th at 8:00 PM PST. I'd love you all to tune in at:

http://www.magicbroadcast.com
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
I have a question about this effect......

Isn't what you are doing possible? Is it really magic? or just a puzzle.

Immediately after watching the demo I thought it was possible.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2007-02-26 19:58, Drizz wrote:
I have a question about this effect......

Isn't what you are doing possible? Is it really magic? or just a puzzle.

Immediately after watching the demo I thought it was possible.

This is one of the very few effects, where you get actually get what you pay for. NOTHING is hidden, no HOLE IN THE HEAD needed, no PROTOCOLS to follow, no BIGGER THREE to wait for. You can actually have the business card torn and two frames (rings as Joshua calls) linked permanently. It takes Joshua about two minutes to perform. Its all in the way you perform the trick. The end will justify the means, in this case.
To believe is Magic.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
I hope I don't come across as too negative, because this is a cool 'stunt' for lack of a better word, but I cannot figure out why this effect/trick is baffling people. I can only think of one way this can be accomplished, and if that assumption is correct, it seems to me that it wouldn't take much inspection for the spectator to know the 'secret'. Maybe I'm missing something? If my assumptions are wrong, I'd be thrilled! I'd love to ask a blunt question about the appearance of the paper rings when the trick is done, but I'm affraid that would lead to exposure. Grrr
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
You are missing something Smile- the manuscript!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Yeah. What he said.

This arrived a with me yesterday. After having read the manuscript and played with the thing for a few hours now, this is my verdict: Joshua Quinn is some kind of strange genius. I love this. It's one of the most brilliantly satisfying things I've come across since I've been involved with magic.

If I were wearing a hat, I would quite literally take it off to Josha Quinn.

SDL

P.S. Anyone know of a good U.K supplier of nice card stock?
Hello.
GeneTony
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of GeneTony
Quote:
On 2007-02-27 20:27, Dr Spektor wrote:
You are missing something Smile- the manuscript!

You're absolutely right Smile Guess it's time to add it to my wish list.
Some think Houdini used trap doors in his act, but he was just going through a stage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Conjunction - linking business card (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL