The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 1st magic lesson last night (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
I went to my 1st magic class last night. It was very good. The teacher is awesome. His name is Michael Paul. Hes a pro Magi. There was 3 of us at the lesson. I learned The Aronson stack. Its a way you set the cards up to do 100s of tricks. Really interesting. Plus he gave me a deck of new Tally hos. Awesome right. The lesson lasted about hour and a half. There 7.00 each time you go. Which is once a week. Im very excited about getting back into magic and taken the lessons. The lessons are a lot better than a lesson out of a book. Just because you have a teacher telling you what you are doing wrong and what you are doing right. If you in the western ma area and you would like to take lessons. Hes the man

Scott
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
That's so odd I know of at least three magicians named Michael Paul. Sounds like a great experience - how much did you say it comes down to for each hour and a half lesson? I'm just curious where his price compares with what some magicians I know offer for lessons. It is great to learn from a teacher instead of books or even DVDs, because you can have someone correct you as to avoid making mistakes right out of the gate that you'd have to relearn later in the process.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
The Aronson stack isn't very useful unless you have it memorized.

If you want to study you can find it on simonaronson.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
FIrst lesson and he's teaching you the "Aronson Stack"? What about the basics?

JMHO

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
It sounds like scottthegreat is getting back into magic again. So I figure he has some foundation/ knowledge of the basic? Perhaps it's a magic class for refresher? Not sure. Or perhaps Arsonson's Stack was one of the highlights on that particular night?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-12-13 09:33, Stanyon wrote:
FIrst lesson and he's teaching you the "Aronson Stack"? What about the basics?

That was my first thought, but then again he says the lesson went really well and seemed faily excited about it so I figured at least he's enjoying it. It's not what I start with when I give lessons, but who knows?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
In rebuttal, my whole thought was that if it was the first lesson, after an absence, I would want to observe what the student already knows...how they handle the cards, what techniques they are already familiar with, what sleights they are capable of executing, what effects they can perform. Wasn't mentioned in the thread!

JMHO

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
I asked the the teacher if he backed tracked he does not. There reason for that is so the newer members will be on the same lesson as the olders members that started before the newer ones. I know all the card basics. Like mechanics grip biddle grip. thumb fan pressure fan tenki palm ect. I thought the lesson was good. The teacher wants use to learn the whole aronson stack. Naming to cards and the locations ect. He told me there 100s of tricks you can use with that system. Oh brian the lesson are 30.00 a month. that's 7.50 a lesson. Plus there a hour. He said they usally go over. And it went to an hour and a half. He aslo gave me a free deck of tally hos. awesome deck of cards. Over all I had a blast. That was worth 7.50

Scott
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Well if he's expecting to memorize the Aronson, he should teach you some good false shuffles.

Also, there may be 100 tricks using the Aronson stack but you can also say there's 100 tricks using a DL or a control. I find that there's a only a handful of MD effects.

And I don't think people can memorize the stack as part of homework. A MD takes dedication and self motivation and I would reccommend you master sleights before going into MD effects. Just my two cents though.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-12-13 11:36, scottthegreat wrote:
Oh brian the lesson are 30.00 a month. that's 7.50 a lesson. Plus there a hour.
Scott

That is an extraordinarily low price for lessons in magic - you're getting a good deal my friend, if he is in fact a quality teacher. Actually, if they are group lesons I suppose its not a super low price, but it is still low. Glad to hear they're going well. Keep us posted!
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

If he gives you a new deck of Tally Ho's each time then it is a great deal.
scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
Drizz I see your point. I mean It is a lot to memorize the whole deck. He doesn't want us to do that in one week. He said It will probley take 6 months to do that. I mean 7.00 a lesson is cheap. even its a group thing with a few other guys it still cheap. I used to take guitar lessons they were 18.00 a half hour. Just think how much other lessons are. Golf lessons dance lessons ect...... So that's pretty fair for a price. I will keep all of you guys posted about the lessons and whats going on.

Check out Michaelpaulmagic.com you can see what my teacher can do. He performs once a month at Monday night Magic. Its a off broadway magic show. Every Monday in New York City. He has 2 new dvds coming out. One with ellusionist and the other is magic ink. Also he performs at the magic Castle in hollywood Ca. Check his website theres a video of him doing street magic and bar magic one there

scott
Suppo
View Profile
Regular user
Indianapolis
101 Posts

Profile of Suppo
Sounds like you have someone to help point you in a good direction. Have a great adventure.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Scott,

Enjoy the lessons. I hope you get everything from them you're looking for. Having a teacher is a great way to learn, or get back into, magic.

Mark. Smile
cajmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, California
235 Posts

Profile of cajmagic
I got started with that magic class

The $7 is for parking - right?

my first class they taught "milking the deck" - Biddle grip and card handeling

I do believe in mechanics first

3 in the class? we had 20
Caj Brejtfus
CajMagic and the CAJ Deck of Magic Gaff Cards
:BIKES:
scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
No its 30 for the whole month. So its 7.50. Plus all props are included. He gave me a deck of tallys for free. We learned the aronson stack

Scott
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Well, you will have a fairly rare ability with the MD, but I am with Stanyon on this. If you need the alphabet refreshed and you get a paragraph from the middle of the book, it will not do you much good.
If your basic skills are good and do not need to be honed, my thought would be that routining, presentation, and performing subtlties from a working pro would be more valuable an esoteric like the MD.
Pick the guys brain for the stuff you cannot get out of books or tapes. I wish I had the chance to get some competant training.

Good luck with it.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Teaching a beginner a stack is certainly unusual - but on a second thought an interesting concept, as there are some mind-buggling tricks that can be performed, once the deck is mastered.

Scott, you might want to look around for a good memorization technique. Ask your teacher for it. With the right technique, you do not need 6 months.

Andy
Cards never lie
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Harry Lorayne has some great information on memory development
Aim To Amaze
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8508 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
If the guy thinks it'll take six months to memorize a dedk, he sure must know what he's talking about. Please!! HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 1st magic lesson last night (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL