The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Penn and Teller ... Mystery tour (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brainman
View Profile
Special user
879 Posts

Profile of brainman
I saw an magician in India who was playing trumpets on/with his neck.
Any info on this stunt would be great-
T
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2909 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I'll ask P & T about this.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2625 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I haven't seen this show/dvd, however, I do know Dunninger's magic book has some fakir tricks exposed. in it one fakir does play a single "tube" horn. this could be the same effect.
s
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2909 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I haven't heard from Penn, but Teller reported that they were never told how he did the stunt. I haven't seen the footage, so I can't venture a guess.
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
The Chinese man who did all of the instantaneous mask changes was one of my favorites in the Mystery Tour. Despite those who are worried about Penn and Teller 'exposing' magic, the series had good respect for the magicians that they visited. You left with a sense of wonder and appreciation for the magicians.

Of course, in the bonus features, the fakir who pretended to catch a bullet in his teeth inadvertently let the 'secret' be captured on film. But other than that, the film footage didn't go prying into how the tricks were done.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Perhaps the performer utilized the "handfart" technique of capturing small pockets of air on his skin and squeezing it through the instrument.... just really really fast so it becomes seamlessly musically sound.

Or it's a trick.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
The mask changer in the special features also gave away the secret for me, though maybe not so badly as in the bullet catch, he just didn't do it as cleanly as the person in the actual film. I vaguely remember the horn guy, but I'll watch the dvd again and see.
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
Okay just watched the horn guy again and I have no clue, But I think the "hand fart" idea wouldn't cut it since he is playing a little too well for that. Before he does it though he blows into it with his mouth and cannot produce a sound (or at least he claims this). My first thoughts were that he has a hole in his throat or the horn is able to amplify the vibrations he makes in his throat. My girlfriend's idea is that he has a mouthpeice and that is whats making the noise. Honestly all these explainations seem far-fetched to me...
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Heh heh.. the "hand fart" idea was just for fun... but hey, ya never know!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
I was fooled by the trumpet trick as well. I'm also still trying to find one of those spinning tops.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4456 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
The whip tops? Try Hawkins bazzar (under the trade name of Tobar). They do a foam version for kids that give the basic idea. Fairly simple but much fun.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Check out the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus. Keith Nelson does a stunning top act.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I'll second that. Keith's act is tops!

Yours,

Paul
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yeah, he really whipped it into shape! Nobody's a better spin doctor! He sure knows his lines! Although not a conservative, he's an expert at pronation!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Penn and Teller ... Mystery tour (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL