The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I HAD A MOMENT! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Forgive me for my capitals, but I so rarely <have> moments these days. (I certainly don't seem to have any real performances! Smile )

Here's what happened. I'm at work (Wal*Mart) putting things away when a group of 10-12 year olds come up. One says, "Wanna see a trick?" Raises his hand to me and *woosh* opens his fingers to reveal his empty hand. I'd seen <something> in his had but didn't really get a good look. I said; "Wha-?" and he goes off to the other end of the isle. He comes back and says; "Wanna see a trick?" and does the same thing again, this time I barely see he's got a paper clip in his hand which disappears.

He goes off again and his younger friend says; "He made the paper clip disappear."

I said; "Oh." and called the kid back over. He didn't want to come, I think maybe he thought he'd get into trouble. But he came over and I said; "You're the magician, so you probably have one behind your ear." and pulled out a yellow sponge ball! Everybody goes "Woah!"

Then I say to the kid; "If you're going to make something disappear, you have to make certain they see it in your hand..." toss the ball from the right hand to the left; "before you make it vanish." Then I showed the ball had gone to my pocket. Tossed it <back> into my left hand and said; "Which hand's the ball in?" The "magician" picked the left hand, his friend picked the right. I said; "You picked this hand? (left) Well you were right." Smaller kid looked a little crestfallen to have been fooled and I said; "And <you> picked this hand! (right) Well you were right too!"

I had to stop there because strange as it may seem, Wal*Mart doesn't pay me to perform magic for the customers!

But it was a <great> moment!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Ahhh...don't you love it when magical opportunities arise?

Mark. Smile
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I think this is an appropriate "aww" moment! That's a great story, it made me smile to read it. Way to encourage the kid instead of talking down to him, and then proceed to actually entertain briefly. I'll bet he's still telling his friends and family about it.
majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
I love it. Lesson well tought. You just encountered C.A. wannabe.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Yay! Bunny do good! (Power Puff Girl reference for those who don't get it!)
Ain't life unkind?"
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of The Mac
I'm just surprised the kid didn't go into Blaine mode and say " can..I..show..you..something..." Was he wearing an ellusionist T-Shirt? lol..just kidding guys!
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Talk about making a reputation. I doubt this kid will ever forget that entire experience. Kudos...

Monte
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Sounds like he was using the raven. Shows slight of hand can still beat props.
majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
Quote:
On 2006-12-17 12:10, ToasterofDoom wrote:
Sounds like he was using the raven. Shows slight of hand can still beat props.
I agree with that. there is just somthing about pure skill I love.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to say I am no fan of magic "foisted on unsuspecting strangers".

This is in another catagory for me. Good for you! I bet you almost anything it is not the last time you see these kids. THAT is how to touch people with magic. Thank you for sharing this wonderfull story.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Danny, I love your signature. As far as the kids motius apparandi, I assumed he had the clip on a series of rubber bands. It wasn't the mechanics so much as the fact that he rushed the vanish, making the clip go before I actually saw what it was. I hope I got through to him to "slow down."
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Negative moment! I have a co-worker who seems to be the type who's trying to "catch" you at something. It doesn't have to be magic. He'll ask a question and keep nibbling on the answer until you want to <kill> him! I also keep forgetting this aspect of his character.

He asks to see a trick. I do Henry Hay's "Card to Pocket" from TAMH. It's important that he pull off a block of cards, look at the card that's there and put the whole block back on the deck.

I say; OK, put the cards back on top, and turn around, he's got the body of the deck in his left hand and is trying to put the block back in two pieces! *cy* Already I can see where this is going, but trying to continue, I fan the cards and take one out and put it in my pocket. Asking him the number he counts to, he tells me and I count down to that number. Turning it over, I show it isn't his. I ask what his was and he says; "Six of Hearts," one of the other two guys in the room looks puzzled; Hey! You showed us a 'king.'

I pull the card out of my pocket and it's not a king or a six. I don't know what he did, but I can see if I'm going to do a card trick for him, it better not involve him actually choosing a card and being trusted with its identity!

So he says; OK, do something else. And I do a tranposition I developed after watching John Scarne perform something similar in a beer commercial. But I do it for the "other" two guys in the room! <That> blows him away and he wants me to do it again. I might have tried it a second time, but not for him.

Now earlier this evening, he comes up with a couple of girls from the Toy Department and he wants to see that trick again. (Been a day or two, so OK) I do it again and he's blown away again. He wants to see something else so I do a variation on twisting the aces where the ace two three and four of clubs turn over in the packet. That leaves him cold, but the girls liked it!
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I HAD A MOMENT! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL