The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Who was Norman? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Great, Tony! Now if someone can just come up with a photograph of Norman Hazeldene to complete his biography:

Scroll down to Hazeldene
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Sorcerer
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of The Sorcerer
Is this the same Norman who wrote "Successful conjuring for amateurs?"
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
No,

That was Norman Hunter.

Mark
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Spellbinder
Please ammend - as I said above I never knew Norman. He was a neighbour, but not next door. Had he been I would have known him for certain. Thanks.

I've phoned around various contacts, checked out phone booka and the like and there's no trace of any family.

No one has a picture of him. He wan't a recluse or anything. Like me, he never mixed. When you're a pro and have things which are yours you tend to be careful.

Too many people will steal from you. Odd isn't it?

The thieves always 'borrow' ideas, routines, verbals.

Thos who have things 'borrowed' always say STOLEN.

The eaasiest way is not to let people see.

That's perhaps why so many pros are most comfortable with other pros from unrelated aspects of the business. I like to talk to people from circus, or from the horse and farming world.

Horses and I go back a very long way.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Tony,

The additional information and insight you shared about Hazeldene and others was very fascinating.

Thank you!!

Regards, Mark Damon
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Mark Damon sent me some information from Abracadabra which verified that a photo of Norman does exist somewhere.

Adil of Prestatyn apparently sent a photo of Norman to Associate Editor Donald Bevan of Goodliffe's Abracadabra Magical Weekly, August 30, 1975 (Vol. 60 No. 1544 P. 157) in which it is mentioned, but it seems they had no way to reproduce photos for Abra, so it was not published. If either Adil of Prestatyn or Donald Bevan are still around, they may know where to find the photo.

Edwin Hooper's Obituary notice for Norman in an earlier edition of Abra (P.95) states: "Will Goldston devoted a whole chapter to Norman in one of his locked books." So that's another clue that needs to be tracked down by someone who owns the Goldston Locked Books.

Thanks for all your help, Mark and Tony, for helping to set the records straight for future generations of magicians who may want or need to know this stuff.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I'll talk to Donald this week sometime. They've recently moved office so there's just a chance it may have turned up - or maybe slung out.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:

There are a few British magicians with the name Norman, two that you may have heard of are, Anthony Norman, who wrote Basic Card Technique, and Norman Hazeldene (The Great Norman) who invented The Hippity-Hop Rabbits trick.

Regards, Mark Damon

Hi Mark,
I'm wondering what you can tell me about Anthony Norman? His book is one of my favorite card books, and I have always wanted to know more about him, but I have never run across any information.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Wish I could help you out, but all I know (or could find) is that his real name was Norman Binns, and that he wrote Basic Card Technique. Maybe some of our friends from "across the pond" can help us out on this one?

Regards, Mark
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2006, chanor wrote:
Bought this from a midwestern USA antique shop. Who was he? There was also a 20th century English magician named Norman whose identity is a mystery.

Here's a photograph of "Norman the Wizard" (R.N. Menge) from The Linking Ring, May 1953.

This other photo (from Linking Ring Sept 1944) is from the brief partnership of U.F. Grant and R.N. Menge ("G & M").

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Who was Norman? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL