The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Classic American Clown DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
Hello .....where can I find a dvd source with some classic american clowning ...Lou Jacobs,Emmit Kelly...etc...
I saw the lou Jacobs clown car act on youtube ...but I need more thanks for your help.....
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
It's been a while since I've watched it, but I believe it was Frederico Fellini's classic film, The Clowns, that features some of the greatest European clown artists of our time. It's an older film (1971) but may have part of what you're looking for.

If I remember correctly, you can also catch some of Emmett's and Lou's routines in the film The Greatest Show on Earth; including Lou's Rabbit Hunt and Minicar routines and Emmett Kelly's Spotlight routine.

Emmett was also featured in a 1955 autobigraphical TV film titled The Clown that might still be floating around out there somewhere. I believe Emmett, Lou and Otto were featured in a 1947 documentary called Here Comes the Circus but I'd bet that's hard to find these days. You might want to check Amazon or the Library of Congress.

Emmett also appeared as Weary Willie on episodes of The Carol Burnett Show (Ep.#9/1970, Ep.#4/1976) and the Ed Sullivan Show (Ep.8/1955, Ep.9/1956, Ep.13/1960). Check some of the boxed collections at Amazon for these Episodes.

Mickey Rooney starred in a 1981 TV movie recounting the life of Chicago Clown, Jack Thum. The name of the film was Leave them Laughing and deals more with Jack Thum's status as a prominent foster parent and proponent for children's rights as well as his lost fight with cancer. But it has several of Jack's wonderful routines and bits of information included.

Red Skelton incorporated a lot of the classic clown routines into his Freddy the Freeloader and Clem Kadiddlehopper characters. You might check for some of those episodes.

I don't have any listings for other films with Otto Griebling, Lou Jacobs or the other greats. Emmett was a pioneer and reached beyond the circus ring to TV, Film and Broadway while the other Greats were fairly content with circus life. Hope
these give you a starting point.

Skip Smile

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
Thank you so much Skip !!!!
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
Well If you ever in Memphis I have half a house full of them, So if you ever have a couple of weeks come on downand we will do move night!
but seriously
I am on you tube and I "favorite" clown clips when I see them
you can check out my page there!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=justLarry
Also check out
http://www.clownalley.net/
Is there specific gags you are looking for, or just want to see some good old fashion clowning?
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
Thanks for the invite ....and thanks for the links ...I'll let you know if down your way........
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
227 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
There's a charming DvD called Funny Bones that you might look for. It features Jerry Lewis and Oliver Platt. The film has some pretty cool clowning.
Owen Anderson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Clowning around » » Classic American Clown DVDs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL