The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Secret Santa worst gift (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Starbucks Gift Card, great for the person who hates coffee or even the smell of it so the chances of their even setting foot in the shop is nil.

So, what garbage gifts did you get?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Last year I was involved in a gift exchange at work. This was a catholic school and the instructions were to spend up to $15. I got a cocktail towel with a picture of a nun drinking a martini. I thought it was terrible. A nice person traded me for their gift, a $12 steam iron from pick and save.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Last year one of the guys at work sent a LED torch, the type with a button cell in where you squeeze it to light it up. The previous week another guy returned from a trade show and handed out a load of them he got for free from the stands!

I got lucky, a couple of magic books!
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 15:46, Cliffg37 wrote:
Last year I was involved in a gift exchange at work. This was a catholic school and the instructions were to spend up to $15. I got a cocktail towel with a picture of a nun drinking a martini. I thought it was terrible. A nice person traded me for their gift, a $12 steam iron from pick and save.

Did the towel by any chance have a caption that read "Another Martini For Mother Cabrini"? (Ah, that Lenny Bruce!)
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
No, it was sister someone or other.
Magic is like Science,
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 12:09, folksingmagic wrote:
Starbucks Gift Card, great for the person who hates coffee or even the smell of it so the chances of their even setting foot in the shop is nil.

So, what garbage gifts did you get?

I got three or four of these Starbucks gift cards last year for Christmas. I don't drink coffee at all, so I re-gifted the cards to other friends of mine who do drink that stuff. Nothing wrong in doing that, I guess....
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4141 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have had 2 incidents:

- My Sunday School class had a DVD gift exchange. Not advertised as a white elephant. Someone brought a pre-natal workout video.

- My old boss wanted some clip art. I bought him a cd. A few days later our offie had a white elephant gift exchange. He brought the cd as his gift. I couldn't believe it. We exchanged a brief glance - his 'look' said, "I guess I shouldn't have used the cd as a W.E. gift, huh?"
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27147 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Sorry... a "pre-natal workout video"?

wow
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
What the heck is this White Elephant thing?

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
The term white elephant refers to an unwanted or useless gift. I don't remember the exact origins of the term, but I do know that in one country (I think it's India) White elephants were considered rare animals and had some religious signifigance. At any rate, the person who received such a gift was obligated to take care of it and could not give it away. As a result, the cost of keeping, housing, maintaining and feeding the animal could get to be quite expensive. Some people ended up going broke trying to care for it. Hence the term.

As for the boss giving away a gift he had begged for, especially at the same office, was both tasteless and tacky. At the very least he owed you both an explanation and an apology.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
A previously used chia pet
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The term White Elephant, in its' common use today comes from P.T. Barnum. He bought an albino elphant to use in his show thinking it would be a big draw to bring in customers. It brought in almost no one. Thereby making it useless to him. Further, when he tried to sell it as a loss, no one wanted to buy the thing.

Today's terminology that comes from good old Phinneas Taylor, is "something you have no use for that you cannot get rid of."

P.S. Barnum is also responsible for the words "raincheck" "jumbo" and the call "Ladies and Gentleman" at the beginning of a show. He also originated the "Circus parade". There are more things he originated, but those come to mind just now.
Magic is like Science,
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Quote:

wow

I'll second that wow.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4141 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2006-12-17 20:44, Patrick Differ wrote:
Quote:

wow

I'll second that wow.

Fortunately, I did not end up with it.

One W.E. gift I did end up with, and was glad to end up with, was a green porcelain (sp?) frog. It had a large hole in the bottom where you would put a roll of toilet paper. The paper was 'threaded' through its mouth. When you needed toilet paper, you pulled on the paper which was hanging out of the frog's mouth. For Christmas, I wrapped it up nicely and put my wife's name on the card. When we all opened presents, I filmed her opening it. We all had a great laugh - fun memory.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Muckey Spleen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Muckey Spleen
I have a white elephant gift in reserve for just the right occasion - it's a plastic, battery-powered peppermill shaped like a waiter in a white tuxedo. You twist his head to grind the pepper, at which point he yells, "You're breakin' my neck!"
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2201 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-12-18 00:26, Muckey Spleen wrote:
I have a white elephant gift in reserve for just the right occasion - it's a plastic, battery-powered peppermill shaped like a waiter in a white tuxedo. You twist his head to grind the pepper, at which point he yells, "You're breakin' my neck!"

Gotta love Spencer Gifts LOL
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
A Christmas tree orgnament with a nice picture of Michael Bolton... No thanks... next!!!!!!!!
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Not only do I have that same waiter/peppermill, I also have a cow and pig salt & pepper shaker set that mooes and oinks when you shake them. I collect such things and got them for their novelty value. Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I once got a can of spam from my dad for Christmas no joke that's all I got from him .and he wasn't joking. lol
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
This is not a "secret Santa" gift - this year from my sister (who is a physical therapist, and by no means poor) my wife received an empty "TOOL" "10,000 Days" CD case. The CD packaging for 10,000 Days consists of a thick cardboard-bound booklet partly covered by a flap holding a pair of stereoscopic eyeglasses, which can be used to view a series of images inside. Just the case, no CD (I should send her an empty cereal box next x-mas). She gave me a scratch & sniff x-mas book for kids. Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Secret Santa worst gift (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL