The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need to learn some good Forces.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
scrapdizzy
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of scrapdizzy
I only use one right now, very simple Card under deck, pulled up with Thumb.

Can someone steer me in the right direction to learn another 1 or 2?

PS: I don't do books, cant learn from them for some reason.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
First of all change your attitude about books. Some of the finest stuff ever written will never be experienced if you don't.

Try the riffle force, very easy to do. The Hindu force (same as the shuffle) is another easy force to learn.

Start working on the classic force as soon as you can. It's very good but it does take practice to do it.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
scrapdizzy
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of scrapdizzy
Jimmy...where is the best place to learn these? Is there a DVD out that is good about Forces?

As for books. I don't read them. But thanks for trying to convert me Smile

Found some good ones on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2uG0Kl3PIw
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Wow. You've dismissed books and gone straight to freebies off of You Tube in one thread. That is not a good way to receive help and advise on these forums. I would advise you to pick up Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, but as you "don't read books," I suppose this wonderful resource would be a waste of your time.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1542 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
For a good "video" source for forcing a card, try Darly's Encyclopedia of card sleights vol.# 4. This teaches just about everything you need to know about card magic. It was the first set of video's I purchased on card magic along with jeff McBrides stuff too.

Another great source for a great force is Paul Greens "classic force" dvd. This is The best force in my opinion. A close second is the hofzinger under the spread force.

Good Luck!
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Well, he will not be doing magic very long unless he finds a teacher. He will loose interest, unless he is a genius like Andrus and creates his own methods he will hit the wall.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
But simply dismissing all sources of books because you "don't read" is equivalent to trying to be a master chef by solely watching the food channel. Sure, you CAN, but it's much more likely that you'll coast along with the bright shiny new tricks, never learning the necessary fundamentals that make magic entertaining. Most of the stuff I do now is stuff I've learned a while ago, in print. That's where the awesome effects are. Too often, the videos are badly produced, and quickly put to market for sheer profit.
scrapdizzy
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of scrapdizzy
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 18:52, ToasterofDoom wrote:
But simply dismissing all sources of books because you "don't read" is equivalent to trying to be a master chef by solely watching the food channel. Sure, you CAN, but it's much more likely that you'll coast along with the bright shiny new tricks, never learning the necessary fundamentals that make magic entertaining. Most of the stuff I do now is stuff I've learned a while ago, in print. That's where the awesome effects are. Too often, the videos are badly produced, and quickly put to market for sheer profit.

So would you say the Illusionist DVDs that ive currently been doing some awesome tricks ive learned in them is junk and worthless then?

I guess I'm just the type of person who just does'nt really post on forums for the purpose of arguing but rather to see about getting an answer to my question.

Like, "DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD DVD TO LEARN FROM?"

This would be different than a book. Which I'm sure is the BEST. But I'm not interested.

Hopefully that's more understandable.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 18:38, scrapdizzy wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 16:03, mkiger wrote:
Well, he will not be doing magic very long unless he finds a teacher. He will loose interest, unless he is a genius like Andrus and creates his own methods he will hit the wall.

Who are you referring to?

Sorry, that came off a little harsh. I was trying to say that unless you acquire the skills to extract the information in the literature you will never know how much you are missing. Magic is not easy, you know that, video can be very helpful, but it will never have the depth that the book has. For you to become a great magician you will need to create your own effects, or make the effects of others yours through adapting them to fit your own style. For every trick you see on a video, there are thousands in the books. Some forgotten, abandoned, impractical for the technology of the time, but waiting for some else to look at them and reclaim them.

Look at books as yet another sleight, if this stuff was easy, it would not be magic.
scrapdizzy
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of scrapdizzy
Ive got about 20 tricks in my aresenal right now. 15 of them from the Illusionist vids. Very happy with them.

I just hoped to get some more Forces. That vid on Youtube was actually good, you can see the person teaching it learned them right but has'nt practiced them enough. But still the principals are there. I picked up a couple more good ones.

Thanks guys.
mkiger
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mkiger
Not useless, limited. David Roth's coin videos are excellent, the full set will cost you several hundred dollars. Nine or ten videos, and still they do not have everything in his book and that is what I mean.

It is your money, spend it as you will. When I buy a video I always buy the performer's book first.

To answer your original question, Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleight has several forces, as do Ammar's Easy oMaster Card Miracles. You can check the web site for the listing of what is on each of Daryl's if you do not want to buy the entire set.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Another great DVD set is Carroll Baker's Exposed series. The ones I would recommend for you would be "Card Forces" and "Ordinary Deck". The other name for the series is "Secrets Revealed".

If you should ever get to the point where you decide books might be worth a look, get "The Royal Road to Card Magic" and the R. Paul Wilson DVD's of the same name. They are meant to be an adjunct to the book.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
352 Posts

Profile of TKE
40 ways to force a card
docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
118 Posts

Profile of docmagik
Another vote for Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Slieghts Vol. 4. Good stuff in there on forcing.

And as you want to learn other aspects of card magic, you can pick up the other volumes as you go.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1542 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
From a technical stand point, Darly's encyclopedia of card sleights is hard to beat. 8 volumes that cover every aspect of card magic from true beginner to advanced.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
There is a wealth of knowledge in both books and video. Some people simply cannot learn from books, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Daryls collection is great. Also check out Michael Ammars Easy to Master Card Miracles series, he is a wonderful teacher, you'll love the videos.
Aim To Amaze
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
A word (or two) on youtube vids - especially if you are a beginner. How do you know that you learn doing things the correct way? Invest into the real stuff and get the basics right.
Cards never lie
Robert-o
View Profile
New user
Sunny Glendale, Arizona
39 Posts

Profile of Robert-o
I will admit that youtube is what actually got me here on this forum. It sparked my lifelong love for magic enough to get more seriously involved in it.Now this site is enjoyed with my morning coffee every day. I have purchased Mark Wilsons course in Magic and Fulves books on rope, napkin and self working card tricks. I never read this much in high school.I have not yet purchased any DVD's as I think I get a lot more out of the books. Just my 2 cents.
"Hey... How'd you do that?".
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Robert-o,

that is very good to hear. Way to go from there . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Cross cut
Hindu force
riffle force
backslip
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need to learn some good Forces.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL