The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Vacation in Nashville, TN, and would love suggestions.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4164 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The title tells all in this family vacation epic.

My wife, myself and my daughters (11 & 13) are going to Nashville in March, and would love some suggestions for things to do, places to see, restaurants to eat at.

We'll be buying the travel guides, of course, but there is nothing better than inside info.... Some of you guys made my last vacation even more special with your great suggestions.

Even if something interesting is a couple of hours away, let me know.

Thanks!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
I know this is gonna sound kinda weird... but the Opryland Hotel is something special to see.. The water ballet at night centre court is stunning. The Opryland theme park was fun but I found the Grande Old Opry kinda overrated.

Also some of the paddle wheeler tours are okay to pass some time and the Ryman auditorium.

Plenty of places to shop for cowboy hats if that suits your fancy...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14067 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I too recommend The Opryland Hotel. In all my life, I have never seen such a beautiful paradise on earth. it's like a lush tropical jungle incorporated right into the hotel itself. it's astonishingly beautiful.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Yes! be sure to visit Opryland hotel it really is something to see. Go see the Nashville Predators play NHL hockey at its best. The downtown area near the new stadium is nice, just to walk around. If you play guitar or always wanted to this is your chance, some nice guitar stores.
Tim
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11174 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
One more vote for The Opryland Hotel. I have worked conventions/trade shows there, and you cannot ask for a more beautiful hotel. Bring your walking shoes! It's a huge place! Opryland theme park closed around 1997, though.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24289 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Most people do not know that there is a full-sized replica of the Parthenon in Nashville. Be sure to visit it.

If you are driving and you pass through Memphis, be sure to stop at the welcome center just inside the state line. There are two huge statues of kings there.

One is BB King. The other is Elvis.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
If you like country music, you can check out the Country Music Hall of Fame. If you like history, Andrew Jackson's home, the Hermitage, is right there. Institutions of higher learning? Vanderbilt. There are quite a few things to do, while you are there.

Enjoy.
Mark
"Go Browns!"
usg353d
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of usg353d
Opryland
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4164 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Lots of good advice there, thank you!

Anyone have a favorite restuaurant? I'll be reading through a couple of travel guides, but thought someone might have an 'off the beaten path' suggestion.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Quote:
Opryland

As Michael stated, unfortunately Opryland (the Theme Park) is no longer in Nashville. The Opry Mills Mall has taken its place. The park was a MUCH more place to visit!

Some ideas to visit:
**It's Magic! magic shop - one of the neatest and best magic shops you'll ever have the privilege of visiting (seriously!);
****it IS a magic forum, after all, so I HAD to include at least ONE link;
**Most Sundays, It's Magic! has a Sunday afternoon (usually 3pm) magic show;
**The Parthenon (in Centennial Park) and the statue of Athena (inside the Parthenon);
**the Hermitage;
**the Grand Ole Opry;
**the Frist Center for Visual Arts;
**Adventure Science Center;
**General Jackson Riverboat cruise;
**Tennessee State Capitol;
**Bicentennial Mall (just off the capitol grounds);
**Riverfront Park;
**Fort Nashboro (on the riverfront);
**Franklin (just south of Nashville - about 20 minutes) has a number of historic Civil War homes and battlefields;
**Shiloh (site of the bloodiest battle of the Civil War) is about 45 minutes west of Nashville;
**Chattanooga is about 2 hours south of Nashville and has a TON of things to do, the new Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is quite impressive;

Some ideas (to eat):
**the Bluebird Café;
**BB King's Blues Club(downtown);
**Old Spaghetti Factory (downtown);
**General Jackson Riverboat cruise;
**Wildhorse Saloon (downtown);
**Chaffin's Barn; and
**Miss Marples' Dinner Theater (downtown).

Whew! That's a pretty decent list for ONE vacationing family. Hope it helps! Smile
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
With the exception of the Opry, I agree with almost everything he said.

The Opryland Hotel is beautiful. The landscaping is stunning. There is all sorts of stuff to do, However, at 2883 rooms, there are about 2200 more rooms than they can service efficiently.

Oh, and don't look to buy Kodak film there...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Vacation in Nashville, TN, and would love suggestions.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL