The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Most outrageous explanations. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
danielhunley
View Profile
Regular user
Middle of No Where KY
168 Posts

Profile of danielhunley
Hello,

Every time I perform, there is always one person that tries to explain what he saw. What are the most off the wall claims people said you do?

For example, I did cards from mouth to one of my friends and she swears that I had the 15 or so cards in my mouth the whole time Smile I almost died laughing inside and let her keep believing that. Smile Smile Smile
Jack Of Hearts!
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Well I can't remember the funniest, but one was when I was doing disappearing water to my bro's friend (using super gel) and he said it was fake water ... idiot...

Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
Pencil number two.

Its rubber ink!!!
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I can't decide if this is funny or just plain frustrating...

Performing for youngsters, I heard this shouted from my audience --"You cheated, you used magic!"
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
I performed Kollosal Killer for my neighbor (a card only thought of is cleanly removed from an everyday wallet). Her jaw dropped and she said.. "but I picked number eight (or whatever) because that's Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Number and I picked hearts because I love him... there's no way you read my mind!"

I love listening to explanations for mental magic... People so often try to explain how you read their mind and forget any other possible, conceivable way... Smile
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I just had a guy come up to me yesterday who told me he just saw a magician performing at some local event in his town, so I asked him what he did in the show. Here's what he said... "Well their big trick was sawing a lady in half while standing up" (Obviously Modern Art)

Then he said... "Oh, but I know how they do that-they use two mirrors that slide into place and make it look like she is cut in half. I know cause I saw those shows where they reveal how everything is done!"

I chuckled to myself, and said... "yep that's how they did it. Man, you're good."

Just goes to show how ineffective those shows really were. He probably remembers seeing the zigzag, but remembered the secret of the vanishing elepahant.... how else can you explain such stupidity? Where in the heck would the mirrors slide into? LOL! Bizarre!

I had someone try and tell me that we used 2 sets of twins to pull off the subtrunk. I said to the guy, "Well then, what happened to the original twin after the switch, I must have made them disappear!"

He said... "Oh, yeah.."?? Smile

You have to love that sort of thing; it puts a smile on my face. I could go on and on... but I would be writing for hours... LOL!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
A friend of mine I used to perform card effects for, once stated that he thought I could tell how much ink was on the face of a card by how heavy it was (after a lot of practice, he added) and could feel the spots with my fingertips and read them like braille. That explanation was just too good to deny.

-Reg{*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
After performing "Crazy Man's Handcuffs" for a co-worker, she said "Wow, that's like real magic. I didn't know that if you rub rubber bands together that they go through each other."

She is still trying to rub them at the right speed to get it to work.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2003-01-16 00:12, bigwolf wrote:
A friend of mine I used to perform card effects for, once stated that he thought I could tell how much ink was on the face of a card by how heavy it was (after a lot of practice, he added) and could feel the spots with my fingertips and read them like braille. That explanation was just too good to deny.

-Reg {*}

Funny. That's the exact explanation that I give to specs when I do one of my tricks!!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
554 Posts

Profile of vernon
Like chris... I had 3 kids trying to explain a ring and rope effect after I had done it. Upon putting 2 kids on the spot... albeit politely and with respect, the third kid said... you must be using magic...
Priceless
Vernon
Jack Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh UK
130 Posts

Profile of Jack Bryce
I personally think that most lay people watching a magic performance make up their own mind how that effect is achieved, if you ask them to relate to you the performance of another magician or even to relate to you what they think happened during your performance they would substitute their explanations in the right places where the magic happened.

This can be quite amusing at times, as you may sometime overhear a spectator as he relates to a friend what happened during a magic act, the lay person has no idea what magic principles, slight of hand or miss-direction was used to achieve the magic so they see the effect in a completely different way in which we as magician see the same effects.

Sometimes a spectator will offer an explanation that is totally wrong and this will be his guess on how he thinks the magic was achieved. For example, during the early days of my close-up act, I would sometimes have someone say that I had coins or cards up my sleeves.

I then read Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz, this is a great book! In the book it says that most lay people will form some ideas rightly or wrongly on how an effect is achieved, if you dispel that myth by proving that what they were thinking couldn’t possibly be the case then you make the effect even more magical and unexplainable.

If we take the example of cards or coins up the sleeve, I get round this now by using short sleeved shirts, during my routine I say that some people accuse me of hiding the coins up my sleeve but today I decided that I wouldn’t wear any, and I will then pull back my jacket sleeves to reveal that this couldn’t be a possibility and carry on with the routine.

Sometime I wouldn’t need to say anything, in the act of looking for a coin that has just vanished I will pull back my sleeves and this will silently dispel the myth for me. Smile
http://www.jackbrycemagic.co.uk

I never forget a face but in your case I will gladly make an exception...Groucho Marx
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I once had somebody suggest that the secret to the Chinese Linking Rings was that one ring had TWO gaps in it!
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Hey, I like that, Mark; if we could find a way to make a key ring with TWO gaps, we could make millions! Smile

One of my favorites came from a non-magical friend of mine years ago, while watching a stage levitation.

"Oh, that's nothing," he said, "the guy's just using invisible wires!"

Smile
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
One really weird one was just the other day. I did a pulse manipulation, making my pulse speed up then slow down and stop. The thing is I did this to a nurse, and she said

"You must be using magnets to do that."

I asked her how could magnets possibly affect my pulse and she said,

"The iron in your blood."

Do you think that could work? Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
The other day a stage manager on our ship told me that it was so easy to figure out my "Hospitality" routine.

I said "Really?"

She said "yes, the drinks are coming out of your tie."

Another time a person told me the glasses were already full and I was just holding them in a way to hide the fluid.

Once people make up their mind how something is done they think they are right. I wonder why they can't just enjoy the entertainment value and not have to come up with a method?
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Because some people just don't like being fooled. Most people like thinking they're right and smarter than you are. When they're wrong the result can be hilarious. I finished a cut and restored routine where I cut one piece of rope into three pieces and then restored it. Someone blurted out right at the end that I had a trapdoor in my thumb, which was where I had hidden the other two pieces. I was laughing so hard I had to sit down. I admit fully I don't have perfect performance presence, but the way he said it was just so smug I couldn't help myself. Smile
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
I did the disappearing red silk in thumb trick and a wise old gentleman came up to me at the end of the show and said "I know how you did that trick, the silk turned into liquid and ran down your arm." I said he was right as I didn't want to disappoint him.
Smile
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
I love watching people try to get the linking rings apart.

One I just got while doing a "now you see it, now you don't" routine with a quarter was, "I know how you did that, you threw it up in the air and then caught it..."
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
One time I was performing Misled, the part where the pencil melts through the bill. As I was performing it one guy said that I was just using two bills. When the pencil had melted through the bill I said "Yeah, but if I blow on the two bills one of them will disappear". He just shut up for the rest of the show.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Once when I cut rope with my fingers I was accused of having blades in my fingers. Another time when I performed Galaxy (self working pretty much) I was accused of doing bottom deals and all sorts of amazing sleights. I let him think that. I almost forgot, my rope is made out of play dough as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Most outrageous explanations. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL