The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Opening trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
EranRaven
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EranRaven
What opening trick do people use in a bar/restaurant setting to get peoples attention and establish your self as a "quality" performer?
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I do crasy man hand cuffs or coins through the table. Somtimes I just do my AB card routine
When I first get to the table I talk with them so how ever that interaction goes then I decide what routine to do from there.
Sometimes I do just 1 routine at that table so The opener is the show..
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
From my observation and first hand opinion, the opening effect in a bar/restaurant setting MUST be highly visual and somewhat quick.

I've found a basic handling of "Between the Palms" is simple, quick, and effective.
Author of "Conversations With Mind Readers"

Over 40 hours of interviews with thirty-two Top Mentalists & Mind Readers.

For more info email me at bencummings1@yahoo.com and I will email you a detailed Prospectus.
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I would NEVER do a card trick. I always do something with coins. Quick, visual and great.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Ben Cummings
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Ben Cummings
Ben,

That's a great point re: not opening with cards, unless you're positioned as a resident magician, etc. from the beginning.

If you must walk in 'cold' to a table (something I abhor and avoid doing at all costs - it's unecessary with correct positioning from the establishment) then I absolutely would agree with you. Whipping out a deck of cards is NOT the best approach initially.

Thanks for the clarification. As I've mentioned in other posts, I would give serious consdieration to re-thinking the manner in which you are presented, billed, and how it affects your magic and how seriously you're taken from the start.

Have a geat one!
Author of "Conversations With Mind Readers"

Over 40 hours of interviews with thirty-two Top Mentalists & Mind Readers.

For more info email me at bencummings1@yahoo.com and I will email you a detailed Prospectus.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I am not sure why people say (and I use to say it myself before I did it) Never open with a card trick. Why ? I do ! sometimes I only do 1 card routine and only 1 routine at the table, like deep astonisment or my ab card routine. these are 3-4 mins each and after I take time to talk to them (interaction) I have been there a easy 6-8 mins. If I want to show them this card routine them I must open with.
I am not sure maybe it's because I just don't walk up to the table and start doing tricks. I talk with them ask them how they are any thing special about tonight? How was thier Christmas etc... If I were to walk up and blast out a trick then I would say don't do a card trick. I establish myself with personallity and interaction and not with magic.
I think it is all in how you present yourself and how strong your card routines are.I worked last night and I can recall opening with cards at least 5 times. Granted these were tables of adults..
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I open by talking to the customers and telling them a quick joke. That shows them my personality. I then perform a relatively quick coin effect where a lot of magic happens. That shows them my ability. IMO, though, there's nothing wrong with opening with cards, as long as you do something quick and visual...for example, Mental Photography cards would fit the bill perfectly, and it's one of the few card effects that's good not only for adults but for young kids as well because of the extremely visual nature of the effect and the fact that kids don't have to know the values of the particular cards.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1718 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
You shouldn't open with a card trick but your first routine can be a card trick. You *should* open with an introduction to establish a rapore with the people.

Here in England, we have to work against people's thoughts about magicians, let alone card tricks. If the rule says don't open with a card trick, then I'll open with a card trick!

What I do is not important. How much enjoyment for the audience it faciliatate is important.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I would do that Jim Pace trick were he steals the glasses off the table. I think Diceman would be prefect to open. Just because it is so scary.

Hope this helps

Lee
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Just for fun, last night before I left the restuarant, I was about throw out my remaining cards and realized I still had enough to perform "The Twins"...

I had already packed everything else up so I grabbed "The Twins" and just went table to table asking everyone...

"Did you hear about the twins that married twins."

It worked out very well as an ice-breaker/opener and got great reactions. I usually don't even use that effect in my table-hopping repitoire but perhaps I shall.

Anyway, people seemed interested in this strange story. I theoretically don't like opening with a card trick either but when you open with a question like this, I believe that cuts through the pre-concieved ideas about them.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sponge Rabbits. When the customer finds an extra rabbit in their hand, it breaks the ice. And it doesn't take long for this to happen. It makes it easy to perform the rest of the routine.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Flourish Dude writes: "I am not sure why people say (and I use to say it myself before I did it) Never open with a card trick. Why ?"

Well, there are a few reasons.

First of all, some people might have personal or religious aversions to cards and you can't possibly know that until you've got to know them a bit (and, if you are reasonably skilled, by the second or third trick, you SHOULD know them a bit).

Second, many families have an Uncle Yodar who, after too many trips to the Christmas punch bowl, does his annual card trick, which he usually gets wrong the first two or three times and bores the socks off everybody anyway!

Third, many people know at least one card trick and are likely to say something like, "hey, I know a trick; let me see the cards for a minute." Since this is your first trick and you don't know the table yet(see above), you're pretty much stuck -- say "yes" and there goes the next hour; say "no" and there goes the table, leaving the management more than a bit upset!

Fourth, card tricks are VERY difficult to do entertainingly. Only about one magician in 10 who thinks he is entertaining with his card tricks actually is! The rest are garnering "mercy applause" or "pity attention" or something like that.

Fifth, well, four reasons should be enough!
Smile
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I couldn't completely agree with Peter more. Also I hate hearing those dreaded words from a spectator... "Pick a card, any card". Or what's even more ridiculous when I have a person pick a card they are saying "Oh I know this one" or "Oh I like this one" Good God, they don't even know what trick I'm doing! LOL! Also, coins are visually catching to the eye a little more in opinion. So there ya go.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1718 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I will sometimes ask the group if anyone things card tricks are boring. If someone says "yes", I tell the person that I agree. Card tricks ARE boring, but II'll see what I can do to make this one a *little* bit more fun. Then I have that person choose a card. I have 5 or 6 fun bits of business with having the card chosen and signed.

Before the card trick, I have done my intorduction and got to know the group. They have also got to know a little about me. This is why I can do a card trick first. I even have a set that consists of Double Back, Ambitious Card Bill Switch and Card to Box. 3 card tricks and a money tricks for a bit of variety.

What we have to realise is that everything we do is boring for people. Magical but intrinsically boring. It is up to the performer to make is entertaining for people.

If you are a strong performer, you can do anything.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've lately been testing out walking up and opening with Bill Simon's "Business Card Prophecy"

It's great!

Here's my presentation in a different thread. Search for 'Prophecy' in that thread...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&23
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Well I may be blinded by my own wonderful thoughts about myself but I feel like the way I open (if I do use cards) is good and entertaining. I still feel much like Jon I open with myself and my interaction with them. I might also offer this I work at a Mexician restaurant and the food comes VERY fast I really don't have much time to do 3-4 effects. I do 1 or 2 so heres the question if I do only 1 effects are you saying I can not do a card trick?
www.magicalmemories.us
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1718 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
What you use to entertain people is up to you. Cards are inanimate objects that become something magical and interesting (2 different things!) only when they are in your hands. If you are boring, so will the cards be and vice versa.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
The CHICAGO opener just like the name implies..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
I like to open with something very visual. For example, a bit of flash paper turns into a coin. Then I produce another coin, and with this I start a routine of my own invention using some click passes and variants.

MAGO68
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
I used to question the 'don't open with cards' rule but I had never even considered the possibility of people having any kind of aversion to them - (religious or otherwise)

thanks for the words of wisdom Peter.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Opening trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL