The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How should I sell a routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I have a routine that I am very pleased with and have developed over 10 years. It uses about £50($85) worth of props but most magicians will probably have most of the props anyway. It lasts about 7 minutes and works well with children aged 3 to 8. It isn't difficult to perform and is easily adaptable so that you can make the routine your own. How should I go about selling it and what should I be charging?

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Good question. Can you tell us more about it?

If so, it might be easier to help.

Mark.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The question you need to ask is WHY should you go about selling it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
The WHY is quite simple, I'd like to make money from it. My primary business is as a comedy juggler with magic as a side line. So I'm never going to make that much from me performing this routine. It works very nicely and I'm proud of it but children's shows are getting to be less and less of my work so I'm not that worried if other people start using my routine.

I'm loathe to say too much about it because the way that I mix common props is part of the routine but I imagine every magician has some version of the props (if not what they actually need to perform the full routine). And it doesn't involve anybody else's proprietory ideas.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
All you can do is try. If you never try, you'll never know.
Aim To Amaze
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Montimagic is right. Go for it and see what happens.

Can't really say how much I think it should be worth since I don't have any idea what it is. If you're going to provide the $85 worth of props with it, well there's your starting point.

Good luck Nigel. Let us know where you put it up for sale. What are you planning to say in the advertisement for it?

Mark.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am always discouraged that the first reaction is to sell ideas and secrets.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
If you send it to me I'll reply with what kind of price it should be
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Dannydoyle,

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you discouraged that anyone wants to sell ideas and secrets rather than giving them away? Or that once someone has an idea they first think to sell it? I think that I've answered the second question well enough, I've had this idea and developed it for over 10 years it's about time it started working for me outside of my show.

If you are thinking that I should be giving it away rather than selling it, why? I, like most of the magicians out there have spent a small fortune on magic props over the years and it's about time that my experience started the flow of money going in the other direction.

icentertainment,

there's the rub, this is the internet. I know nothing about you other than I've seen your name posted here a number of times. I'm not about to just post my routine to somebody I have no knowledge about. If you were a reliable magic store this would be different.

Everyone,

I asked two questions at the start, how to sell this idea and how much to charge. Should I be approaching a magic shop? writing an e-book? putting the routine on DVD and posting it to the client? or some other means that I haven't considered?
How much would you pay for a routine (ignore the props for the moment) that fills up at least 7 minutes of your show?

Nigel

www.itshim.co.uk
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ignore me Nigel, it is a conversation for another thread.

You can NOT ignore the props. THAT is the point. What you get is all part of the price.

You have told us you don't trust us enough to say anything about your trick, and yet you want us to help. This is really a tough thing to do, even if we are not insulted by your unwillingness to trust. How can we POSSIBLY be expected to come up with some price for this thing if we have NO idea what the heck it even is?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
I've told you what it is. It's a routine.
The props are a part of the routine but it is the idea and the patter that make a routine not the props. Nothing in the routine is inherently difficult. If I were to say for example that I have a routine that combines a zombie ball, a TT, and a finger chopper (not that my routine does) I'd doubt that anyone here would fail to have most of those props but mentioning them in combination would give people an idea how the trick might work. If I am selling an idea then it is hard to talk about the idea without giving a lot away. If I give too much away I no longer have anything to sell.

Nigel

www.itshim.co.uk
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Gee wiz everyone is sooooo serious
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Yep. When I am thinking of parting with one of my routines for cash I have to be serious. I came on here for advice on selling a routine. Let me ask the question a different way.

How much would you like a new tried and tested routine that fills up 1/4 to 1/9 of your children's show?

How would you like to obtain it?

How much would you be prepared to pay if you already had the props?

Nigel

www.itshim.co.uk
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
How about something that can be used to create 100% of your total show? I'm talking the entire show. Complete. It can be any show. Children's magic, parlor, walk around, close-up, stage...you name it. And NOT just one "routine." Instead, how about hundreds of routines?

What if I told you that the above is totally true and can be had for less than $20? Would you be willing to spend less than $20 for an entire show? I'm talking tried and true, workable, refined over thousands of performances and from one of the biggest names in magic? Would this be something of value?

If so...here it is. And I'm going to GIVE this tip to you for FREE!!! Enjoy.

Mark.

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Wilsons-Compl......;s=books
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
Well, for starters, let's look at the different sides of the coin. On the one hand, as mrunge pointed out, you can get the Mark Wilson course which is chock full of solid routines that can be used to build an entire show. You just have to provide the props. This book costs about $20.

On the other side, you have John Kaplan, who just put out his 'Mind Reading Orange' not too long ago. This is a solid routine that also comes with all necessary props, although the props are fairly common and could be obtained at very little cost. This sells for about $80.

Now, just looking at it from a 'cost per routine' perspective, the Wilson book is a much better value. However, both perofrmers are selling the time it took them to perfect these routines over the years. What does THAT cost? If you look at it that way, both are underpriced and should cost hundreds of dollars each.

What are you seeking to accomplish? If you just want to publish the effect and establish it as your own creation, but don't care baout who does or does't do it, you can price it high to keep it out of the reach of the merely curious. But you probably won't sell very many. If you are looking to make an income stream off of it, price it low so you will sell a lot of them.

I personally will spend $20 on a routine I am merely curious about. More than that, however, and I will usually not buy unless I have personally seen it or gotten a review from a trusted source. Also, based on your statement that you are basically sellign the routine, because the props are common, I assume there will not be a demo clip of this. Demo clips also seem to help sell product.

Anyway, just some food for thought. I dunno how much help I have been. The bottom line is, only you can decide what your time and intellectual property are worth to you. Then it is up to potential buyers to decide if it is worth that price to them.
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea figure out what you want to sell yourself for. THEN you have a perfect benchmark.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1296 Posts

Profile of nucinud
7 minutes using $85 worth of props? Most magicians can do 7 minutes with a rope and a scissor. if I need to use $85 worth of props, I would like to get at least 20 minutes. But seriously, it is not the cost of the props that count, it is the routine. Sometimes I get 2 minutes from a $180 prop. Or 10 minutes from $75 prop.

The way to sell your routine is to describe it just like in the magic catalogs. You have to create interest. To judge the price of the routine, see what other routines are selling for. In real estate, that is known as a comparable.
Or you could contact some one like Meir Yedid to see if he would publish your routine and sell it for you. Or sell it on eBay in the magic section, buy it now catogory as a PDF.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
If you are not going to give a description of the routine how do you expect people to buy it? That's like picking a routine out of a lucky bag, you don't know what your getting! You say your selling the idea and the patter, so in other words the presentation, why can't you give a description of the routine? That's not going to give away your patter.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1569 Posts

Profile of Futureal
If it's a routine using common props I'd recommend selling it as an eBook for $10-$20.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How should I sell a routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL