The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » What is your: impulse purchase point price? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12588 Posts

Profile of John C
In other words, at what price would you be willing to pay without thinking about it? At the drop of a hat!

I mean, maybe a little thinking, but if you are on a forum and everyone is raving about a PDF that is going to take you to the next level (i.e., be the next Svengali perhaps) would you buy it if it was $50.00? $35.00? $30.00? $25.00? $20.00?

What is the max amount of money you would drop--that moment--after reading all the hype (and, perhaps, some of it from forum users you have come to respect!)

Mine is between 14 and 19 dollars.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
$12.95. How's that?

Mark.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
John,

Is it a "one-trick effect? Or is it a book of 395 pages?

One trick wonders? Maybe $5-10

A substantial e-book with multiple effects or with multiple topics or sub topics)? Maybe $15-25.

That said, if the author is unknown or is known for par or below par material, at best, I'd go for the low end of each price point. For an author of known above par material I'd go for the high end (or maybe even a little bit higher).

My real concern is that these "one-trick wonders", no matter how good are beginning to exhibit "inflation-creep" and the prices you used to be able to buy a high quality hard cover book of many pages and much information between the covers (i.e., $35-60) is now seeming to become the price norm for "one-trick wonders". Why is that? Why the trend towards release of "one trick wonder" ebooks for almost the same price as a good high quality hard cover book of about 10 years ago?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I bought "Stuck" on impulse and it was $10... $10 very well spent. I love the trick and Greg does an amazing job explaining it on the download.

I bought Dave Forrest's Smoke Rings without even blinking and that was $20. But I love the linking card plot and I know Dave's work so that was also a no brainer.

Something over $20, unless it's a fantastic ebook with multiple effects by an author I know, is pushing it for me.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12588 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-12-18 19:13, Turk wrote:
John,

Is it a "one-trick effect? Or is it a book of 395 pages?

One trick wonders? Maybe $5-10

A substantial e-book with multiple effects or with multiple topics or sub topics)? Maybe $15-25.

That said, if the author is unknown or is known for par or below par material, at best, I'd go for the low end of each price point. For an author of known above par material I'd go for the high end (or maybe even a little bit higher).

My real concern is that these "one-trick wonders", no matter how good are beginning to exhibit "inflation-creep" and the prices you used to be able to buy a high quality hard cover book of many pages and much information between the covers (i.e., $35-60) is now seeming to become the price norm for "one-trick wonders". Why is that? Why the trend towards release of "one trick wonder" ebooks for almost the same price as a good high quality hard cover book of about 10 years ago?

Mike

I wouldn't consider a substantial purchase such as a 395 page ebook an "impulse buy"

That would require some research before the purchase of course.

I am referring to say you are reading a hyped up item and it sounds real good. You have the opportunity (say it's 3 am) to go and "make the buy" what is the max you would be willing to spend on impulse?

How much would you be willing to "lose?"

John
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Apparently twenty bucks.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
$5 bucks, or the even better $4.99 Smile
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Lol.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
usg353d
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of usg353d
No more than $30.
Judah Vee
View Profile
Special user
of the JV Naughty Vanish....
884 Posts

Profile of Judah Vee
I guess I am the odd ball here but I say between $50 and $60. ( I think I need to find a job that pays less!!!!LOL!!!! )
I don't care how fast or slow you are.... As long as I am faster.. -J-
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
385 Posts

Profile of oagwood
PDF? 5 bucks--no thought.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17288 Posts

Profile of joseph
$9.99 + tax.. Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2349 Posts

Profile of todsky
$20, but it has to be real good. $10 for those more impulsive buys.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Why does one ask ? Do you have something "Up your sleeve" ? If so , you being some what of an "Unknown" like a lot of us, I'd go up to 20 bucks. Looking for the next miracle. Kind of an interesting question. There is no perfect answer. Everyone in magic wants a DEAL. cheers, Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
It's a hard question to answer because it depends so much on the content and the author. I'm generally the type to wait for the reviews to start coming in before parting with my cash, be it in single-digit or four-digit amounts. Then again, last night I impulse-bought a 42-page, softcover book, whose existence I hadn't even heard rumors of before that moment, for $100 -- because I think that highly of the author.

The perceived usefulness-vs-price is also a big factor. I impulse-bought Mindbender (the bending card) for $30, because I knew that if it was as good as they said, I would use it a lot. (It is, and I do, and I'm glad I bought it.) In contrast, I never expected to even attempt to actually use Steve Fearson's self-vanish (and I haven't), but it was worth the lousy $7 just to be in on the joke and see what everyone else was laughing at. (If Steve is reading this, thanks for the comic relief!)

Another factor: I would impulse-buy a good deal of Bob Cassidy's material in the $35-$50 range -- if I thought there was a glimmer of a chance I'd actually receive it. (How's Contact coming along, Dr. Bob?)
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12588 Posts

Profile of John C
Here is good example of what I am talking about:

http://www.trickshop.com/magicseen12.html

I just read the post and immediately went and purchased the item. It was 5.95

If it was, say, more that 9.95 I would have thought about it, and maybe if reading posts in a week or two went and purchased it.

But that is a good deal. I don't know ANYTHING about their magazine, the ads for it look good. But, for 5.95 that's a lot of reading material and if it's junk, so what, it's only 5.95

John
CALENIG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of CALENIG
Hi Guys Magicseen is agreat Mag- full of reviews, effects, everything you could want from a Magic mag. At the price I think you cant go wrong. Great thread guys!!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Good call, John.

I really love trickshop.com. I have bought many things from them. I think they really know their price points. (grin)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
$20, but it has to be real good. $10 for those more impulsive buys.
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Interesting fact: The more obscure the price the better it will sell.

For example, something priced like £11.13 will sell better than something like £10.50.
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » What is your: impulse purchase point price? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL