The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Question about Mnemonica (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Nathan Coe Marsh
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
14 Posts

Profile of Nathan Coe Marsh
Quote:
On 2007-04-02 13:06, Richard Osterlind wrote:
I also PM'd Bill Hallahan and he, like Dennis Loomis, admits has never read either my "Memorized Breakthrough" or my "Guidebook Number 4." Both these books deal with the issues discussed here and I find it fruitless to debate with people who wish to talk about something they have not researched thoroughly. I stick by my own arguments as I do own and have researched the other named references.

Richard

Richard,

This is a very strange response to my post. The post you quote has nothing to do with the conversation about mathematical systems vs. memorized decks. I was simply correcting the notion that the stack independent material in mnemonica works with any "cyclical" stack.

As to that discussion, I have read the newest edition of the BCS book where you address some of the issues, and have viewed your DVD on the BCS where you also discuss these issues. I also performed for a year with the BCS, and for two years following with a memorized stack.

The core of the card magic that I have performed professionally has been with a memorized stack. My experience is not nearly as extensive as that of yourself, Michael Close, et. al -- but I do have solid experience with both approaches in the heat of performance.

From that experience, I can say that the memdeck is a better solution for me. Others will, of course, come to their own conclusions. A fact, that should be known before making the decision, is that memdeck is more versatile. Everything that can be done with a stack that is just cyclical, can be done with a memorized deck. Additionally, there are powerful pieces that can be done with a memdeck that cannot be done with a cyclical stack.

For myself, the memorized deck is far more secure than the mathematical system. I make far fewer errors with memdeck and it takes me far less time to get the target card. I am, at this point, so inside the stack that the moment I peek I know the target card. There is no hesitation, and no pressure to make a correct calculation.

Richard, obviously, is much more comfortable with basic math than I am...so I don't want to pretend that my experience of increased confidence and ease with memdeck is going to be universal

Bill,

Once a Stebbins stack has been memorized it is, of course, no longer simply a Stebbins stack. The point is that the material in Mnemonica is not for stacks that are just cyclical.

Best,

N.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Question about Mnemonica (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL