The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Small wireless PA questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I demonstrate and sell (pitch) pocket magic tricks at street festivals and craft fairs. I’m now investigating a few different PA systems for next season. My goal is not amplification, just “sound reinforcement” –- I need to be heard without shouting, but cannot be so loud as to disturb nearby vendors. I need to talk almost constantly for 6 or more hours, and want to be heard clearly without straining my voice.

So I need a small, wireless, battery-powered rechargeable 15-30 watt PA system with a lapel or collar mic, so that I can work hands-free. It should also have more than one receiving frequency (to avoid possible conflicts and interference), because I eventually hope to use it for trade show work as well. Ideally it would either sit on, next to or even under the pitch table, and would cost less than $500.

I looked at the Florida Magic system, which only has one frequency, needs an external battery, and didn’t receive many favorable reviews on the Café. The Passport P10W is a 25-watt wireless system that looked good, but also only operates on one frequency. The Paso system at 30 watts and 11 pounds fits all of the above requirements, but has seen some negative comments on the Café about its reliability, especially in colder weather.

I also looked at the Anchor Mini-Vox, a 15-watter that runs about $600 but presumably only operates on one frequency. Also, it runs on 9 optional rechargeable “C” batteries, which costs another $75 and sounds a little dicey. Another contender and perhaps a better value is Anchor’s MegaVox 6000U1, about $630, a 20-watter with a built-in rechargeable battery and multi-frequency reception. However, it’s somewhat industrial-looking (remember, this is probably going to sit on my pitch table) and a bit on the heavy side at 20 pounds. But if it’s reliable and durable, that would be a definite plus.

I’d appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with any of these PA systems, or any other suggestions for me to explore. Thanks! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I use the Florida PA system in my b-day party shows and have used it in library shows a few years ago before using a larger system, it worked fine. I have also always used the Florida system when I do street magic in Downtown Augusta, and it does very nicely - it's light and the battery last a long time. Of course, there is only one frequency, but I have never had a problem with that. Hope that helps a little.

I have seen the small fender system in action as well and it would work - it's not quite as loud as the Florida system ,but it does a good job for what you are wanting it for.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Pyle Pro PWMA120 Smile

Best.

Rich
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
Fender PW-10
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Get a Fender PW-10 system, run it on single frequency and run it with wireless headset.

Get another headset, with it's own transmitter and receiver of a different frequency. Plug the system into Fender's audio input jack.

In that way, you will always run on ONE frequency and if you want to change frequency, plug in your alternative headset.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I believe the Crate company that made the popular Limo amp now makes a smaller one.
The Crate Limo is popular.
The Carvin StageMate seems like a killer buy for $350 or so.

The Carvin and the Fla. system are the same price.... there is no comparison.
The fla system sounds like a cheap transistor radio compared to the Carvin.

3 words would come out of your mouth if you could compare them side by side....

"oh my god"

I think it's worth getting the larger box for better sound. Much more useful in different venues.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I second the Carvin Stagemate. Had it for about two years and have never had a problem. Order the second battery. It will double the charge time. A little heavier, but well worth it. Check it out here:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.ph......CID=SYS1

Great customer service as well....

Ken
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
Ken,
What wireless mic did you use with the Carvin?
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
SethB:

What you are looking for is a little system made by Anchor that is called an AN130. It is very loud, sounds great and is very reliable. It does not come with a built in battery but otherwise, it has everything you need. It comes with a built in receiver and your choice of mics. You can even get it with a little head worn mic. that looks like a countryman.
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
I second the Pyle Pro PWMA120! This little battery operated unit comes with three wireless mics, a headset, a lapel and a hand held microphone. The price ranges from 119 to 130 US.

Cheers,

Robert.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On 2006-12-22 21:54, donsmagic wrote:
Ken,
What wireless mic did you use with the Carvin?

I use a hard wired mic for now. I'm looking into the wireless mics in the near future. Any advice?

Ken
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, folks, for all the responses and helpful PA information.

I did look at the Anchor 130, which meets all my requirements except for the fact that it has no battery. I suppose I could get a marine battery and an AC converter, but that would defeat the purpose of trying to have an all-inclusive unit.

The other Anchor battery-powered units look nice, but on closer examination, I saw that a transmitter and mic are extra, which pushes the price up well beyond what I can afford at the moment. [I'd have to sell an awful LOT of Svengali decks and Magic Fuzzles to pay for that!] The Carvin StageMate looks nice, too, but is pretty heavy to lug around, and has more capabilities and power than I really need at this point.

So it probably looks like it will be the Paso system by default at this point. I'll let everyone know what I think and how it works out. SETH
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
FYI, if anyone is looking, I have a Pyle Pro PWMA120 for sale. I have only messed with it a couple times, never have needed it for any of my shows. $100 shipping in the US. Send me an email at magicofdand@centurytel.net if interested. I have pictures as well.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan
The Magic of Dan
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Hi Seth,
I use the Anchor Mini Vox. I never leave home without it. All Mini Voxes have 2 frequencies that you can choose from and you can buy a wireless headset/lapel mic for it. I love it!! Smile

JIM
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Hi gang I skipped to the bottom of the list so I hope I'm note copying another suggestion. Califone makes some very good products that would work for this situation. Their main market is the school market so the products are built to last, most products will have a 2 to 3 year warenty. Check them out http://www.califone.com

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
2jacks
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of 2jacks
I use the AmpliVox Portable Buddy, hands down beats the Anchor and Califone systems. Better sound coverage, clear voice projection, longer warranty and more wireless options. Can use a/c, regular and rechargable batteries which I liked over the other systems.

Todd75 and mghia used one and turned me onto it. They loved it. See http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30 page 2 (bottom).

I think their web site is http://www.amplivox.net and you can buy right on their web site.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks again to everyone for their helpful thoughts and information.

As I noted above, I decided upon the PASO system, ordered it last week and received it yesterday. I've set it up and am experimenting with it; I also have a craft show next weekend, and will put it to the "real world" test at that point.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a review of the system and will post it once I've had a chance to get my thoughts together and a little more experience with the unit. But I will tell you that my preliminary impressions are generally good. SETH
abbylondon
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of abbylondon
I use a wireless mic with an appollo system (available at Staples online). Been cartint it around for years and I've really beat it up, dropped it an so on. It works great. Only costs a few hundred.

Abby
http://www.abbylondon.com/
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, Abby, this is helpful information, I was not aware of this particular brand.

As I've noted elsewhere, I decided to go with a PASO system, which has somewhat more wattage, because I generally work outside. We'll see how it performs as soon as the weather warms up a bit and my Spring bookings start coming in. SETH
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
Has any one bought the small P.A. from hocus pocus and if so how is it. The cost is 390.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Small wireless PA questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL