The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Approaching Corporation regarding Walk-Around Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Any ideas on how to and whom to approach. Corporations are often having workshops and seminars. I think close-up magic and walk-around magic would be great to sell to them. I am a stage performer primarily and do walk around gigs when called upon, Christmas time especially...but I am curious if anyone has a good method on whom to approach, how they go about doing so and who they contact.,,,...ie. HR department, owner, manager....?

Any help would be appreciated as I am interested in learning new methods .... also any books that have chapters specifically on this???

Thanks.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
The corporate marketplace is a tricky nut to crack because it is often difficult to find and/or reach the person who is actually responsible for allocating funds for a particular meeting, i.e. the economic buyer. Furthermore, they are not interested in talking to a person doing a cold sales call, and often have a subordinate collecting information about vendors for a particular meeting. You can spend a lot of time talking to someone who doesn't have the power to hire you.

The HR Department is a good place to start and I suggest that you go about it through a "back door." Nearly all HR Directors belong to the Society for Human Resource Managers. You can learn all about them at http://www.shrm.org/

Do a search for the local chapter closest to you. Visit their website and find out when their next event is - awards dinners, holiday party, annual conference, etc. Then approach the chapter President and/or Program Chairperson about performing at that event. If necessary, barter your services in exchange for an annual membership and/or a few ads in their newsletter. Use that event as a showcase for your talents and bring lots of business cards.

The other approach is through professional meeting planners. Use the same strategy with Meeting Professionals International - http://www.mpiweb.org.

But before you do any of that, however, make sure you have a professional caliber act and promotional materials. And start locally with smaller companies getting experience before chasing after the Fortune 100 companies.

Break a thread...

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I agree. The best place to start would be the Human Resources Department.

Re-read what Jim said above. He has lot's of great advice that you should really consider. You might also check out his site. He has some info that could save you lot's of time and trouble.

Good luck. Mark.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20190 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is a wicked tough market to crack.

But here is a tip that may or may not help.

Many many companies are conglomerats. American Brands for example. IF you can work for one of them, get some references and then track the names down of sister corporations, AACO, Titilsit, Foot Joy, then you can be the guy for all of them.

Trust me this works well. It takes research though. And a heck of a promo pack.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Approaching Corporation regarding Walk-Around Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL