The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Chinese coin minus black paint (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of caubeck
As we have referred to Chinese coins several times recently, I wanted to mention something I have done to mine in the C/S/B set.

I don't like the bicolour Chinese coins, which look pretty unauthentic with their black painted centre and brass trimmings (no real coin has ever looked like that). So I carefully scraped the black paint off both (the insert and the whole coin), leaving two very attractive, golden-looking Chinese pieces, which contrast well with the silver half dollar and the dark copper Mexican coin.

I then scrubbed both the Chinese coins with a wire brush, giving them an aged appearance and disguising some scratches on one. The result is much nicer than the original, and closer to the real thing.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Been there, done that...HOWEVER, I like the wire brushing idea, thanks for the tip!

peace, charlie
chada13
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of chada13
Interesting touch. I may have to try that also.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Good tip! I saw someone on a video (Scotty York maybe?) Using a C-S-B set with the naked brass Chinese coin, I liked the way it looked. What I'd really like to do is find a way to make the coins resemble the greenish, pitted look of real Chinese coins.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
You might want to check with a certain coin craftsman who now has perfect "Chinese" coins minus the paint available only from him.
caubeck
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of caubeck
Here the Chinese shops sell real Chinese (i.e., made in China) coins at various sizes quite cheaply. There are magnetizable silver-looking ones and also some old-looking coins but the latter are rather thin and tinny. The local coin market sells authentically old Chinese coins with all the blue/green look, not at too high a price.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Yea, I have some real Chinese coins and use them for some effects. I guess what I meant to say was I'd like to make my Johnson brass coins and inserts resemble the real thing more, while still retaining their size, thickness and "fit" in the various gimmicks.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Chinese coin minus black paint (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL