The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Rene Lavand DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ahalim
View Profile
New user
Australia
18 Posts

Profile of ahalim
Dear all,

Hi, could someone who already has this DVD set give me some information on the content?

A friend of mine mentioned that some of the routines in the DVD's are not explained, e.g: Divining and The Deck is Feminine from DVD 2 and maybe a couple of others in the 2 DVDs. Is this right?

Is there any other routine that is not explained too in the DVD's?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Best regards,

Adipoetra
Michael Graves
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
150 Posts

Profile of Michael Graves
Quote:
On 2003-01-05 12:31, ahalim wrote:
Dear all,

Hi, could someone who already have these DVDs set give me some information on the content?

A friend of mine mentioned that some of the routines in the DVDs are not explained, e.g: Divining and The Deck is Feminine from DVD 2 and maybe couple other in the 2 DVDs. Is this right?

Is there any other routine that is not explained too in the DVDs?

Thanks in advance for your information.

Best regards,

Adipoetra

I do not have them as of yet..but these are a must have, the man in amazing and beyond words..just to have him on DVD is a treasure ..his book is wonderfull also...

MG
Gene B
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento, CA
193 Posts

Profile of Gene B
ahalim--
I've just received the DVD's and they are great!!
I'm not sure which effects are not explained--but many of his great tricks--especially oil & water are explained.
The best benefits are seeing the moves being done both during the show and while he explains--this was most helpful since many of Rene's moves are exclusive to him.
The best benefit is seeing this "Legend" perform his "Miracles" Smile

Get them!!

Gene B
Gravity--It's not just a rule--It's the Law!
ahalim
View Profile
New user
Australia
18 Posts

Profile of ahalim
Hi Gene and Michael,

thanks for your reply.

By the way, does he explain or mentioned at all routines like Divining, The Deck is Feminine?

I have no doubt that the DVDs r good, I am just wondeirng which routine are not explained.

I think Divining is one of his strongest routine in the DVDs.

I also like the bread Crumbs routine.

Adipoetra
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Is " I Can't Do It Any Slower " the oil and water routine on the DVD and explained too?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Gene B
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento, CA
193 Posts

Profile of Gene B
I had to go put the DVD's in the player and pull up the menus--since the box does not clearly outline which effects are explained!

Divining & the Deck is Feminine are performed but not explained.
The three bread crumbs and I Can't Do It Any Slower--(His Oil & Water) are both performed and explained!

Gene B Smile

You can find explanations of both "The Deck is Feminine" and "Divining" in Rene's latest book--"Mysteries of My Life"

Gene B Smile
ahalim
View Profile
New user
Australia
18 Posts

Profile of ahalim
Hi Gene,

thanks for your information, I really appreciate it.

I know that they are available in his book but it is always nice to see it explained in video format. But anyway, I think it's great DVDs.

By the way, beside those routines, are there any other routines that are performed but not explained?

Adipoetra
Gene B
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento, CA
193 Posts

Profile of Gene B
It appears most of the other effects are explained or he goes into the sleights used--pretty extensive sleight explanations on both DVD's.
Hope this helps.

Gene B Smile Smile
sanskara
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
59 Posts

Profile of sanskara
Quote:
On 2003-01-08 11:10, Gene B wrote:
It appears most of the other effects are explained or he goes into the sleights used--pretty extensive sleight explanations on both DVD's.
Hope this helps.

Gene B Smile Smile

I have both, but have only watched volume 1. The problem I see is that while he does explain the sleights, he does not actually go over the routines.

For the Can't Get Any Slower routine, for example, I had to watch the performance, then watch the sleights used section, break out a paper and pen and write out every phase and sleight I could gleen from the performance, so that I could memorize the routine. This took waaaay too much time, not to mention involved some guess work. It seems like going over the routines wouldn't have been all that hard. Just my two cents.
Regards,
James Bostwick
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I believe Mr. Lavand is shooting/planing a new DVD to be released in the near future. I don't believe that these currnet 2 tapes were a planed out project like this next release will be (I hope). The footage appears to be a performance lecture from a few years ago.

I hope the format of the new release is a bit more user friendly.
Drive Carefully
Michael Graves
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
150 Posts

Profile of Michael Graves
well if you are new to magic the slights used on the DVD are very hard, even if you are a practiced card magicican the moves are very hard.

Rene has a style all his own in which I doubt and magician with 2 hands could ever come close to. Its been said that Rene can do effects with one hand that two handed magicians will never do.

The routines are not all explained and to tell the truth that does not bother me at all, I am working on a "few black cards, a few red cards" It cant be done any slower will be years till I get it down and even then I may shelf the effect for respect to his perfect performance of the effect.

Rene is a man who has taken magic and a very hard disibility and turned it into one of awe and utter perfection.

Watch the moves watch the routines but you will never have the pure emotion that Rene puts into his magic.

Michael Graves
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
Even if you never perform any of his effects, the mere experience of watching Rene perform them is (to one who's never seen him) worth the price of the DVD's. Every magician should watch this master work.
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Yes, some sleights are difficult, but the DVD's great. A few red cards, a few black cards is just fantastic. At least that's in my repertoire now.
If you are serious into cards, go get it. Without the least of doubts! Smile
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
I only wish I spoke Spanish so I could understand Mr. Lavand's words for myself! These DVD's are 100% inspiration. You can offer no excuses for yourself after watching them.
Drive Carefully
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Does any one could write a review of R Lavand DVD's ?
Do they really require great skills ?

Thank's

:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
He does all his sleights, second deal, 3rd card deal, etc, and shuffling, false shuffles, etc with one hand. I guess if you use two hands, it wouldnt be that difficult

But the DVDs are works or beauty and his determination to show how he overcame disability and still work miracles with 1 arm. I personally like the part where he says of how he had lost one arm, and locked in a room and that only a right arm can open the door. Finally when the door opened, it was his other arm and he uses this to thank his audience, etc. Its very heartwarming to watch and listen to him speak

Cheers!
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I agree with all that has been said about Rene Lavand. He is an true artist of magic and his trick with the bread crumbs is a wonderful blend of story telling and sleight of hand. I saw him at an SAM convention several years ago, New Orleans I think, and he had Tina Lenart translating for him. She did a good job of not only translating his words but the meaning as well. Rene infuses personal aspects of his life into his magic. He also has a real flair for the poetic. Rene Lavand gives magicians a good name. I would buy this dvd sight unseen, no question.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Rene Lavand DVDs (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL