The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Call me a Scrooge BUT... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Hehe - "thinly-veiled narcissism." Well said.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-12-25 10:04, MR2Guy wrote:
Being Atheist myself, I think I understand why it was mentioned if it truly offends, but I like the Peace On Earth - Good Will Towards Men thingy, and Santa Claus getting down all those chimneys! Whew! I try not to think about the houses with no chimneys.

*Tink*!

May the double always lift.

Jason

Watch "The Santa Clause," a chimney will "magically" appear out of the radiator if it has to.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Astrid
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
63 Posts

Profile of Astrid
I think this runs on similar grounds as the large controversy that recently ran out here in Seattle at the Seatac airport: In the midst of dozens of xmas trees a rabbi requested that a menorah be displayed in addition (and he offered to donate a large menorah to prevent budget issues) Rather than displaying the large menorah, the airport removed dozens of beautifully decorated xmas trees (I believe the grand total was 44 trees) rather than enter into the controversy of "policital correctness". Travelers passing through Seatac airport were very upset by the "political correctness" of the "all or nothing" attitude. After hundreds of complaints the airport finally replaced the trees in addition to the menorah and several other decorations donated by local groups.

It just seems so silly that in order to be politically correct now-a-days we are required to adapt an "all or nothing" attitude.....I look for any excuse to send good wishes, be it a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannaukkah, Presidents Day, Hump Day, or even just a TGI Friday. As it's been said several times already: Sticks and stones may break my bones....but WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Quote:
On 2006-12-24 13:37, Freak Prodigy wrote:
...me, I believe in nothing(athiest) but I respect others that have a belief system.

Brett.

Why is it that atheists can never seem to spell their 'faith' correctly? Every atheist I've known with whom I've had written correspondence (regarding religion) has spelled it "athiesm."

Regarding the topic at hand...

Whenever somebody wishes me a Happy Valentines Day, I say, "You take that back! I am single and for you to assume otherwise is ignorant and rude! Shame on you and your good intentions. For you to truly wish that I'm doing well on this cold day in February is about the most selfish thing a person could do. Go away! Shoo!"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2006-12-25 17:52, Astrid wrote:
It just seems so silly that in order to be politically correct now-a-days we are required to adapt an "all or nothing" attitude

Actually, WE are not required ... if I want to put Christmas trees and a nativity on my own property, nobody can stop me or make me add a menorah or anything else.

But the GOVERNMENT is required to allow equal access (or else no access) to public space - everybody who wants their religion represented and gets equal treatment, or nobody gets any. That's something that, as a person of one faith, I value both for my own sake and for members of other faiths. If other faiths are subordinated but mine is preferred, it'll come round sooner or later that my faith is the underdog (yes, it could happen and it has happened, even in countries where everyone is named "Smith" or "Jones" - witness England in the days when alternately Catholics and Protestants were being slaughtered, plus of course the Jews.)

I, for one, wouldn't even feel put out if my Christmas tree had to share space with a Flying Spaghetti Monster or an Invisible Pink Unicorn. In fact, I kinda like having those two around - lends a little balance to a dialog that can become awfully overheated.

But I'm disappointed that the airport in question got all stressed out at the idea of having someone bring in a menorah. Can we say "anti-Semitic"?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:

Why is it that atheists can never seem to spell their 'faith' correctly? Every atheist I've known with whom I've had written correspondence (regarding religion) has spelled it "athiesm."

In this case, perhaps, it is fast typing that is the real culprit. Many people, when typing fast, transpose their "i" and "e" letters.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
It just seems so silly that in order to be politically correct now-a-days we are required to adapt an "all or nothing" attitude.....I look for any excuse to send good wishes, be it a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannaukkah, Presidents Day, Hump Day, or even just a TGI Friday. As it's been said several times already: Sticks and stones may break my bones....but WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME.

AMEN!! Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-12-25 21:51, rossmacrae wrote:
Quote:
It just seems so silly that in order to be politically correct now-a-days we are required to adapt an "all or nothing" attitude

Actually, WE are not required ... if I want to put Christmas trees and a nativity on my own property, nobody can stop me or make me add a menorah or anything else.

But the GOVERNMENT is required to allow equal access (or else no access) to public space - everybody who wants their religion represented and gets equal treatment, or nobody gets any. That's something that, as a person of one faith, I value both for my own sake and for members of other faiths. If other faiths are subordinated but mine is preferred, it'll come round sooner or later that my faith is the underdog (yes, it could happen and it has happened, even in countries where everyone is named "Smith" or "Jones" - witness England in the days when alternately Catholics and Protestants were being slaughtered, plus of course the Jews.)

I, for one, wouldn't even feel put out if my Christmas tree had to share space with a Flying Spaghetti Monster or an Invisible Pink Unicorn. In fact, I kinda like having those two around - lends a little balance to a dialog that can become awfully overheated.

But I'm disappointed that the airport in question got all stressed out at the idea of having someone bring in a menorah. Can we say "anti-Semitic"?

I'm not certain I want to bandy the "anti-Semitic" phrase around on this evidence. It could just be a "camel's head in the tent" scenario where the manager thought; "OK, here comes the menorah, who's going to want what next? Better to just take down the trees than take the chance." Stupid reasoning, but no malice.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Astrid
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
63 Posts

Profile of Astrid
Quote:
On 2006-12-25 23:24, mandrake01 wrote:
Quote:

I'm not certain I want to bandy the "anti-Semitic" phrase around on this evidence. It could just be a "camel's head in the tent" scenario where the manager thought; "OK, here comes the menorah, who's going to want what next? Better to just take down the trees than take the chance." Stupid reasoning, but no malice.

I have to agree that I don't believe that the airport is in any way anti-semitic...I was trying to get the point across that people have become so fearful of offending a single person with a positive gesture that at the first sign of controversy the immediate reaction is to retreat into monotony. Well said, Mandrake01.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
A nation of Busy Bodies, Hall Monitors and Spell Checkers. Ignoring, that in most cases of Christmas greeting, there is Benign Intent. Busy Bodies, Hall Monitors and the ilk tend to feel the need to put a chill on any Intent of any kind as if they have the authority to alter the flow, even if it can be charming and spread a bit of warmth.

Brett, your a pain in the butt, (how often have I told you that?)...and I might mention that Brett sent me a PRESENT and had the cajones to call on Christmas day (evening) and wonder if I had sent his. Guys...you have been 'had' by a pain in the butt. Merry Christmas Brett...you pain in the butt. Now have your chuckle and appologize for being a Hall Monitor. You are better than that...you pain in the butt.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
Quote:
Actually, WE are not required ... if I want to put Christmas trees and a nativity on my own property, nobody can stop me or make me add a menorah or anything else....
I'm disappointed that the airport in question got all stressed out at the idea of having someone bring in a menorah. Can we say "anti-Semitic"?

The airport is included in WE (i.e. not the GOVERNMENT… please correct me if I am wrong). To imply the airport is anti-Semitic contradicts your first statement. The fact that I put up a Christmas tree and not a menorah (even though I come from both Christian and Jewish roots) does not make me anti-Semitic... why the does the airport come across as anti-Semitic to you?
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
Quote:
...and I might mention that Brett sent me a PRESENT and had the cajones to call on Christmas day (evening) and wonder if I had sent his. Guys...you have been 'had' by a pain in the butt.

I noticed he posted a list of his presents in the "So... Whatcha get?" thread.
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
To everone...

Sorry guys...I had to post this just to see the reactions that it would get. Smile

I am an athiest, but I don't mind christmas or any other holiday for that matter.
I eat christmas dinner, open presents, give gifts and drink hot chocolate...mostly because my family does.

So again, Sorry for the trouble...but I did get a nice debate going!

Hope everyone had a great holiday,
Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-12-26 11:10, Freak Prodigy wrote:
To everone...

Sorry guys...I had to post this just to see the reactions that it would get. Smile
I am an athiest, but I don't mind christmas or any other holiday for that matter.
I eat christmas dinner, open presents, give gifts and drink hot chocolate...mostly because my family does.
So again, Sorry for the trouble...but I did get a nice debate going!
Hope everyone had a great holiday,
Brett.

Brett... Insulting a person who wishes you well ( in this case Steve ) and creating debate that includes a hot topic like religion just for kicks is a dangerous hobby not to mention that it is a total waste of everyones time who participated in the thread.

I noticed another attempt from you to fuel some religious flames in another thread and thankfully nobody took the bait on that one. You need to get a less intrusive hobby my friend. I'd suggest reading .... maybe you could start with "The boy who cried Wolf"?

Best,

Tim
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I never insulted Steve...I actually mentioned that what he did was polite.

I also don't find it as a waste of time, people were able to share their feeling on a touchy subject without their post being deleted.

What flame was I trying to fuel?

And please Timothy don't call me your friend if you are going to be sarcastic about it.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-12-26 11:29, Freak Prodigy wrote:
I never insulted Steve...I actually mentioned that what he did was polite.
I also don't find it as a waste of time, people were able to share their feeling on a touchy subject without their post being deleted.
What flame was I trying to fuel?
And please Timothy don't call me your friend if you are going to be sarcastic about it.
Brett.

Brett,

When you say "Thanks but no thanks" its somewhat considered an insult.

Of course YOU don't consider it a waste of time but as someone who's time you wasted I'll be the judge as to weither you wasted my time or not thanks.

Some of my closest friends here on the Café are people whom I met in a hot debate. Things got nasty in many of those threads but I had to respect their right to an opinion as they were at least genuine. When things cooled down we realized we really weren't that far apart and friendships were formed. The point is that differences of opinion are respected here in the Café but most of us would appreciate it if those opinions are real and not made up. It makes us mistrust those who post phony threads or wonder if any backpedaling attempt has any real weight.

Regards the other thread I mentioned. I'll let others read it for themselves and make their own judgements. Please don't post some ..." I really meant this or that statement" let your original statement speak for itself.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=23

Tim
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
"somewhat considered"???

As far as the time wasting...speak for yourself then, not everyone else.
Arn't you wasting your time right now by reading this?

As far as my "fuel to another religious flame"
I figured it was that one...are you kidding?

If anyone took that seriously...they are insane.
But hey, let it speak for its self, right?

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-12-26 12:05, Freak Prodigy wrote:
But hey, let it speak for its self, right?
Brett.

Right!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Update...

Just got a nice PM from Brett. I absolutely accept his explanation of the post that offended me in the other thread. ( virgin birth thread ) I no longer see it as an attempt to flame religious debate but hope others will understand how I could have read it as such.

Subject finished and air cleared as far as I'm concerned.

Best,

Tim
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Brett...that will be $9.95 please for a professional diffusion post. One more and it's $29.95. But then you'll be 18 soon and know better. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Call me a Scrooge BUT... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL