The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How good is David Blaine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-01-07 11:00, silverking wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't matter if Richard FELT used or not, he WAS used.

Get the difference?

Blaine does street magic. Homeless people live on the street. Blaine performed magic for a homeless person. It shows he is compassionate and treats all people equally. Are you saying you would of not performed for Richard?

Watch the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xhp-DULFhk
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm glad you enjoyed it, but because I'm simply registering my opinion, it's really not possible for me to be "wrong" any more than it's possible for you to be "wrong" about how you view the issue.

Thanks for the link, but I find the video disgusting so I'll pass.
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of giochi
Kammagic,
thanks for the link. That a great piece of magic that resonates strongly with the public.
Bspaeth
View Profile
New user
Tucson,AZ
19 Posts

Profile of Bspaeth
Scapdizzy you have to have a higher post count to view some of the forum. I believe.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-01-07 16:42, silverking wrote:
I'm glad you enjoyed it, but because I'm simply registering my opinion, it's really not possible for me to be "wrong" any more than it's possible for you to be "wrong" about how you view the issue.

Thanks for the link, but I find the video disgusting so I'll pass.

Didn't say anything about right or wrong. Just wondering why you feel disgusted or that Richard was being used. David never made fun of him. He treated him with decency and respect and gave the guy a night he will remember the rest of his life. How do you find something like that disgusting? "Disgusting" is quite a strong term please explain.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
How good is David Blaine is the question of this thread. My point was technical abilities have little to do with how "good" someone is as a magician. As a magician Blaine is amazing. He really knows how to present magic in an impressive way. I think that is what makes a great magician. There are many technicians in our business who are highly respected but who would not be looked at as the greatest magicians. But as performers we each learn how to exploit our abilities. I think Blaine has learned what his abilities are and he uses them extremely well.
[/quote]

I agree.
As a Mysterious Stranger who does magic for strangers he is a talent. His style is to let the magic do the talking.

One of the funniest comics I ever saw was Steven Wright. His deadpan and monotone way of delivering his one liners and jokes cracked me up.
In contrast I also like the zany comedy of Robin Williams.
Both have their own way to entertain and that's showmanship.

As far as how good Blaine is technically, what do we really know?
The impromptu type tricks that were selected for his shows were what was needed for the streets.

Whether he is a skilled businessman, got the work through connections or because some big shot was impressed at a party I don't know.

While I'm not impressed with his stunts I do appreciate his magic and style.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
That is exactly my point, many seem to have the misconception that one must possess "advanced, technical skill" in order to be a successful magician; when in fact Blaine contradicts that theory—at least to those who make such statements and actually believe that Blaine has little skill. Blaine proves that simple magic can be simply amazing, however as I also previously stated, Blaine does do some pretty technical card moves as well.

I don't think that what little magic we have seen on his TV specials, even comes close to all he is capable of. You only got so much time on TV, and you are at the mercy of producers etc. I have seen master sleight of hand artists induce yawns with a lack of presentation and showmanship, and I have seen magicians who lack in sleights, transform simple props and gimmicks into stunning miracles; utilizing presentation and showmanship to fill in the gaps.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
and gave the guy a night he will remember the rest of his life.

I wonder how long his life ended up being?........the next day?.....the next week?

In the end a homeless, alchoholic, possibly mentally ill, and helpless man was manipulated by a millionaire to make a TV show a little more interesting to the average consumer of such shows.

There's not much more for me to say about magicians using homeless people as props other than I find it tasteless and disgusting.

It's an opinion.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Hmmm?
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
You mean just as Criss Angel used the "disabled?" I don't think Blaine did anything wrong, but perhaps he could have at least made a cup full of half-dollars or quarters to help him out, as opposed to pennies.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Assuming he wasn't an actor, I'd imagine remembered very little of it. "Hey Earl, I had this crazy dream last night... Hey! Where the **** is my coffee?"
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2007-01-08 06:00, sirbrad wrote:
You mean just as Criss Angel used the "disabled?"

The "disabled" person had full control of their faculties and made a CHOICE to work as an EMPLOYEE of Criss Angel and/or his production company.

See the difference?
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-01-07 21:39, silverking wrote:
Quote:
and gave the guy a night he will remember the rest of his life.

I wonder how long his life ended up being?........the next day?.....the next week?

In the end a homeless, alchoholic, possibly mentally ill, and helpless man was manipulated by a millionaire to make a TV show a little more interesting to the average consumer of such shows.

There's not much more for me to say about magicians using homeless people as props other than I find it tasteless and disgusting.

It's an opinion.

David entertained Richard and treated him with respect. You on the otherhand just called him an alcoholic, mentally ill, helpless, homeless and joked about when he would die.

Do you see the difference?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
This has deteriorated into a series of lame responses to serious questions about ethics as they relate to the homeless and disadvantaged in society.

Trying to convince folks that they should assume your (or my) "opinion" on an issue is a waste of time.

Peace,out.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Hmm, I always felt that the homeless guy bit was a bit "off putting".While I think blaine did it with good intentions I feel that it should have been left on the cuttng room floor.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I simply saw the guy as another spectator whom Blaine brought joy, and astonishment to. It sounds like you have some type of bias, or prejudice, not Blaine. For all we know Blaine could have given him a lot more money off camera.
Magical Mike
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Magical Mike
Forget that homeless stuff the fact of the mater how do you really rate a performer that can edit everything? that's crazy! Have you seen David do a live stage show? (Yes Street Magicians can do street on the stage!) The answer is no! I am not knocking David because of him Magic soared up in ratings and stuff but I just can't see how you can say someone is so good when they have an editing team worth millions at their disposal!
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-01-09 05:39, Magical Mike wrote:
Forget that homeless stuff the fact of the mater how do you really rate a performer that can edit everything? that's crazy! Have you seen David do a live stage show? (Yes Street Magicians can do street on the stage!) The answer is NO! I am not knocking David because of him Magic soared up in ratings and stuff but I just can't see how you can say someone is so good when they have an editing team worth millions at their disposal!

So are you saying David is just an actor playing a magician and through creative editing they make him look good? Its pretty obvious that David is performing the effects himself. Any experienced magician can tell he has adequate skills. Many pros only have adequate technical skills. David excels in presentation, showmanship, theatrics, marketing. Too many young magicians think that they will be a great magician if their pass is invisible or they do a killer double lift. These are only our tools. To be great we must know how to use them. Simply doing a pass is not showing that you know how to use it. David knows how to use his talents.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
All the effects/skills that Blaine did that I previously mentioned, were not edited at all. They were legitimate magic effects that are on the market, and that anyone can do if they practice enough. If you want to talk about someone who edits almost every single effect, talk about Criss Angel. Not to mention all of his stooges who make everything go just a little bit easier. Unlike Criss, Blaine does not have to cutaway to the spectator every time a crucial sleight/move comes up, and then cut back after it was done off of camera.

Not to mention all the so called magic that Criss creates in the "editing room" that he boasts can be done live anytime, and anywhere. Which is just another deception, and illusion he wants everyone to believe. If that were really true, he would not need the camera to cutaway so that he could empty his awkward looking palmed poker-chip, because it is obvious he never put much work into learning the correct method of palming it.

He would also be able to do a simple bill switch, without having to cut to a stooge's face; who has been paid to lie about his signature. Criss may be able to deceive laymen, but not working pros who actually do legitimate magic, and struggle to live up to the false, and very high expectations that he places upon them with his editing. What will you tell the people at your next birthday party, when you are unable to walk up the wall like Angel did? How about when they ask you to float from building to building? How about ducking under a garbage lid, and appearing on the roof? Walk on water in the pool in the back yard?

I guess you will just have to fess up, you are not as "good" as Angel is. Good at having a camera crew, lots of money, and stooges that is...What will you tell them when they ask you to do about 95% of what they have seen Blaine do? Most likely you will do it, because it IS "possible."
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Q: How good is David Blaine?
Some of the responses have been assertive and off topic. My answer:

He is a VERY good Magician. Ask Jean-Eugene for a good definition of that.
Technically, he is capable of FAR more than the TV puts across. What he does on TV he does for the general public, his street audience, in other words laypeople in general. He does not (and IMO neither should ANY magician) perform solely (and in David's case, pretty much not at all) for magicians. Why should he? Magicians do not pay him the big bucks, the TV company and his clients do. Same goes for anyone who earns from performing magic.

To get a clearer picture of David's attitude towards Richard, please DO read Mysterious Stranger. It is an admirable, not exploitative attitude. Cheers.

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How good is David Blaine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL