The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Appearing and disappearing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The magic cracker
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of The magic cracker
Deos any1 no any good appearing and disappearing tricks? Like using a blanket or chair to vanish? if so please tell me.
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
There is another post in this section on Mark Wilsons Cyclopdia of Magic it would be the perfect first book to learn more vanishes than you can shake a stick at!

Pick it up it's very inexpensive and will keep you busy for a long time.

Brian
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Any beginner book worth its salt will have a section on vanishes. With just a few tweaks, it can be a professional performance! But I remind you, any large scale vanishes will require a lot of prework and fabrication.

P.S. It's "Encyclopedia"
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hey Magic Cracker

If you're looking for an easy blanket / chair vanish like Criss Angel does, it ain't gonna happen. You need your own TV show to do that type of magic. Criss "cheats" a little bit.

Jim
The magic cracker
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Yeah I kinda noticed, he says what you see is what you get but after wacthing his clips he really looks like a fraud and not a true magician performer. I mean he has pretty good triks but most of his are just fake. thanks for telling me.

-Magic cracker
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Toaster, BG did spell it wrong but "Cyclopedia" is correct. It is the scaled down version of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

***QUOTE OF THE DAY***
Quote:
On 2006-12-26 11:20, The magic cracker wrote:
I mean he has pretty good triks but most of his are just fake.

Unlike.....?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
The magic cracker
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Ok what do you mean???
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

I know you were referring to camera tricks, but it hit me as funny that you were calling his magic fake. It's all fake. His is just extremely angle sensitive (the camera) and relies on precise attention management (editing).
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Hey... I don't mind angle sensitive, if it works. I just want him to stop using stooges.

And thanks on the "Cyclopedia" tip. I thought that was a rather odd typo to make.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Stooges are not against "the rules". Obvious stooges in unbelievable situations are not my favorite use of them. I think the old pocket watch under the handkerchief vanish that uses a stooge is very clever and elegant. Having someone name a loved one at "random", and having their image appear tattooed on the performer, is too over the top for me. But, it is very powerful on some viewers.
The magic cracker
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

We'll I'm not really into camera tricks.
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
I tend to agree with Josh... Magic is in the way you make it happen, and in the eye of those who watch... I am not to hot on camera tricks and stooges either, but that does not mean I would not use them in a proper setting. If the illusion works and is worth it, stimulates the audience in the right way, why not. I remember watching a magician live with a couple of friends and discussing the illusions afterwards. One of the illusion was definitely done with image manipulation ( a one point, you need to watch a big screen to see what happens at a remote location...). To me, it was obvious. But to others, they just looked at me as if I was out of my mind.. "What do you mean??? It was LIVE!! We were there!!".

It is all in how you use it!

Louis Jutras
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Bisection by Andrew Mayne uses a blanket - the effect is that during your show you make half of your body completely disappear in the blink of an eye, then just as quickly you return to normal.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Cracker, I understand where you are coming from. But camera tricks are just a technique, with good and bad applications. Let's say a street performer was performing cups and balls and a crowd gathered. And a tourist stops by with a wife and kids and starts videotaping. What kind of effect on the crowd would it have if he instructed everyone to watch the cameras monitor, and as they watched he fades out becoming invisible? And what if one of the other spectators waves her hand in front of the camera and you see her hand but not the magician? Of course I'm talking about camera tricks and stooges. But I think it would be a very strong and respectable use of these tools. Don't you?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
How about having your loved one's name on the side of a passing taxi? Or "thought of" card?

Give me a break.

Jim
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

I can do it. But I'd need 54 taxis. (OK...I'm thinking of the guarantee joker)

Funny thought: If someone shows you the invisible deck, tell them you picked the "Rules of Texas Hold 'Em" card.
The magic cracker
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Yes I understand how cameras are tools in tricks but if you are famouse like Criss Angel and someone sees him walking down a street and asks him to show him a disappearing trick or whatever he have barly anything to show that guy.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I'm sure Criss could amaze you with just a quarter and a Coke can.

Josh, when I perform the "invisible deck", I always have the person handling the cards remove the invisible Jokers. Maybe I need to tell them to remove the Rules of Texas Hold'em card too!

Jim
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
How about simple coin vanishes? They still are the best little vanishing effect you can do. Mark Wilson's book again is a great resource for these.

Cheers

Chris
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I consider Ghostvision by Andrew Mayne a disappearing and appearing effect! Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Appearing and disappearing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL