The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Favorite Ring and String/ Ring to wallet routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
What are some of your favorite, ring and string / ring to wallet routines?? I hear there a quite a few nice ones out.

SIX
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I think these are the sort of routines you develop over the years by trial and error to find out what plays well for you,having said that Greg Wilson's Ring Leader will probably give you more than enough moves and ideas to play with.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I have to agree with Warren.
Learning the moves for ring and string will help you build your own special routine.

One that I came up with ends with a finger ring being knotted on a shoelace, vanishing and ending up on my key ring.
Have fun!
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Dan Fleshman has a nice Ring and String routine that was published in the Magic Menu. I believe it has since been released on DVD.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I created my own routine with moves taught on the Greg Wilson Ring Leader dvd. I end with their ring inside my buttoned, zipped wallet which they take out themselves
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Check out Doug Malloy's Ring to wallet routine. It includes:

1) a very commercial 3-phase routine
2) a great quality wallet
3) special props and gimmicks,
4) velvet rope.

Check out his website: http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/ring_wallet.htm

This is quality routine and prop. It is one of my workers.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
For 180 bucks!!!!
Who the frap would ever pay that much?

Is there more then just the videos?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Jim Ryan's Ring Rope and Rod.

Far and away one of the best. It is in the Pheonix bound volumes.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Bob Millers ring and string routine is one of the best .called relentless ring and string on his video and dvd, As for ring and wallet I choose Steve Dushecks ringer. over any wallet routine,, because it is instant repete and no jacket requiired
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
175 Posts

Profile of Pathian
Quote:
On 2007-01-01 19:40, Bill Hallahan wrote:
Dan Fleshman has a nice Ring and String routine that was published in the Magic Menu. I believe it has since been released on DVD.

I bought the pamphlet from him at a lecture not too long ago. It was part of a package, but he was selling it for $5. He calls it Sonata for Ring and String. He likes to finish it off with a basic Ring Flight
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Scody/Haywire, Malloy’s ring to wallet is a close-up routine that includes all the props necessary. I’d say watch the reaction of the people on the Demo on his website. Those are real folks being filmed during a real performance and the reactions are genuine. Malloy gives you the entire routine right there in the demo video. If you have basic skills and the props you don’t need anything else.

Honestly, if you have basic ring-off-sting skills and perhaps if you already have a strong ring and string routine AND already do a ring-to-impossible-location (say a Lippencott box) then this is NOT breaking any new ground for you. But if you are just starting out and don’t have either a good ring-and-sting routine or ring-to-impossible-location routine then is a very good place to start. It will probably serve you for years.

Expensive? Maybe, but I don’t think so. A good quality LePaul/Balducci wallet can cost over $100.00. Malloy includes a very well made, high quality LePaul/Kaps/Baldacci wallet with the routine. In fact the wallet he provides looks like the old “Supreme Super Zippered Wallet” (no longer being made), which in the 60’s cost up to $80.00!!! True, you could probably find a suitable LePaul style wallet today for under $100.00.

The individual props include the appropriate wallet, the “Check to Dollar trick”, the laminated bill (which is a joke in the routine and gets a soft laugh), and the velvet cord. You could probably find all the individual props needed for the routine, if you looked hard, for around or under $100.00. But then you would just have the props.

Then you get a tested routine including the necessary instructions (moves) for the ring off string routine (two nice moves melded into a strong routine which could be and has been a stand-alone bit). Plus you get the scrip, an instructional video, AND performance rights.

I don’t know, I am thinking that $180.00 is not all that much!

The routine is well thought out (typical for Malloy) and takes a pedestrian ring-off-string trick and turns it in strong, visual magic. You can close your close-up show with this effect. This plays big enough for most small venue (comedy club/parlor/bar) type of act.

There is a reset that takes some degree of privacy and is not instant that makes it less than “instant” for a walk around gig. Still, with a bit of management, it is a good walk around effect.

So basically what you have is five minutes of good, visual, fun magic carried in your pocket! Is that worth the price?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
kenodad
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of kenodad
Harry,
I completely agree with you. I have Malloy's routine and it is fantastic. You get the props as well as a very well-structured routine. Certainly, I have made purchases I am not that happy with (I sold my Final Answer), but this routine is a keeper and definitely a closer. It can be used in a formal close-up show or doing strolling magic (the reset is minimal). Yes, I think it is expensive, but I think it is worth it.
John
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
Bill Hallahan is correct about Dan Fleshman's Ring and String routine. Its a solid routine and gets a great reaction. I have been performing Dan's routine for many years with great success. Its on his video "The King of Clubs & Restaurants". Put out by "Magic On Video" volume #1.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Good Wallets aren't cheap. The check to bill gimmick is clever and visual. The video teaches all the necessary ring moves you need to know and the routine is time tested by a working pro... all this for $180.00

Malloy's ring to wallet is a highly commercial routine - a real worker. Considering the money I've made on gigs, it was a wise investment.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I use a combination of Dan Garrett's and Marc Desousa's..Cordially,Howard
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
David Tong has a great ring on string routine...

The ring jumps from the string to a stick that is held in a specs hands.

During the second phase the ring is sert to jump from the ring to the stick a
second time, but does not.

It appears as if the magi has made a mistake at wich point the ring is revealed
to be in the magicians key wallet in his back pocket.

A great routine for table hopping... You should check it out.

Shawn.
Shawn.
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
I might add that many times when I perform Dan Fleshman's routine, I end up with the borrowed ring vanishing and ending up in a sealed envelope aka "signed card to seal envelope".
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Who is it that recently came out with a ring to shoelace routine? Ring ends up on a knotted shoelace.
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Never mind - I should have looked a few topics down. It's Interlace by Richard Sanders.
kerpa
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
dfield
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of dfield
The best ring in wallet type routine I ever saw was a year or so ago while visiting Vancouver Canada. I saw Gerard perform his version and it blew me away!! He did a ring in sock in wallet routine. I hope he releases it on the market one day ... it was incredible. I believe he is now a consultant for Chris Angel so perhaps they will release it
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Favorite Ring and String/ Ring to wallet routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL