We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight Jacket Variations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I was wondering, what are some of the variations to a straight jacket that you have seen?

I know of Houdini's, DC with burning ropes and spikes, and some guy hung upside down from a helicopter in air.

Where might I find a resource of inspectable gimmicked straight jackets? Oh, they must allow for a VERY FAST escape!

Ok, I am going to cave in here. I have been working for the past 3-12 months on my SJ escape. Many of you will probably think I am crazy. But, publicity is publicity. I can already read the headlines and reviews now.

What I am going to do is, SKYDIVE while wearing a straight jacket.

I have been jumping and training with some experts in the field.

The freefall is less than 60 sec. Then you have to pull your rip cord to open your Canopy in order to land safely.

So I have less than 60 sec. to free myself from the jacket. That’s why I am going to go with a gimmicked one.

Let me know what you think,
Mike
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hi Mike,
Sounds like a cool idea but it's already been done by a number of people. One who comes to mind was Dean Gunnarson. Others have also leapt from planes secured with restraints, myself included. I've got a much more original idea for you involving a straight jacket publicity stunt I once did and you may want to do. It really rocks! It is an original creation and concept but if you e-mail me privately, I will explain it for you. Regards, Steve Santini odditorium1@shaw.ca
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Oh Man, IT'S BEEN DONE! I sent you an email.

Mike
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1824 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
OK, sure it has been done.... SO WHAT???

People still do cup and balls. Robert Gallup did this and in fact even got into a pushing match that almost ended in a full blown fist fight with another famous magician over him doing the same thing. I say if that is what you want to do... go for it. The Lay people in your area will have never seen it. Be safe, practice on the ground, practice your jumps taking off just a leather jacket, to get the feel.

But, if Santini has a great idea for you, then jump on that, (no pun intended).

Good Luck!!!

Kevin
http://www.livingillusions.com

P.S. Steve you should come to Indianapolis the last weekend of April. A big lock show is here and has a whole Escape Artist underground to it. Mark & Sheila Cannon will be here, as well as Joe Fox, Margarette, possibly Ian McColl, and Kristen Johnson from Inside The Houdini Museum that aired on The Travel Channel. Should be a great time. Everyone will head to Illusions Restaurant after the show and then to our house for some jam sessions. You can email me for more info...
kevin@livingillusions.com
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Let's face it, the reason escapology isn't big, is because they're just tricks. EVERYone knows that the escape artist is going to put himself in harms way. It's like the cups and balls, we know balls aren't magically transporting to the other cups.

I think incorporating one in another scenario can create drama, and a better story. Try having some Bond-like villains jump out of another plain, and try to attack you, now that's a scenario.
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I would just like to extend a big thanks to SANTINI for his help on this matter. Truly original and wonderful idea. I hope he will continue to help other as well.

Like I said keep in touch my friend.

Mike
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
It seems like you'd have a fair amount of time once you pull your rip cord. Getting the straps to the front isn't that hard. I'm sure you could pull your rip cord through the fabric of the jacket. You've always got that back-up shoot if things get really bad. You've then got something like 15 min before you reach the ground right? I know some SJ's allow for you to undo the straps without pulling it over your head.

~Spiff

P.S. Let us know how it goes
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
That would be the thing to use. That way if you get into trouble you can still open.

I was thinking of a different way to do this and came up with a couple of different ways. THEY ALL MUST BE WORKED OUT AND PLANNED BY THE PROS. FIRST!

On the ground you are placed into restraints and then placed into a metal cage. Then your skydive rig is secured on top of the cage. So you need to escape from the restraints and the cage to get your rig and put it on then open.

In order to do this you will need to jump out higher and use oxygen tanks to breathe.

What do you think about that? NOT TRYING IT WITHOUT TONS AND TONS OF PRATICE AND R/D!

Best,
Mike
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Mike

Sorry.

That one has been done as well. By Robert Gallup I think.

Keep trying, there HAS to be something new out there somewhere Smile

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2680 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
In our version of the Jacket escape, I must escape from the jacket in less than 3 minutes before timed explosives that are fastened to the jacket detonate. I of course manage to escape with a few seconds to spare. The explosives are quickly removed from the jacket and tossed into a demolition box onstage and they explode right on schedule to prove they were indeed real live explosives. Goes over great!

P.
Brand New: SPELLBINDER -The New Supernatural Stage Table
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Peter...I have to say that is an Excellent idea! Hopefully someday I'll be able to catch your act, I'd love to see it.

-Jlareau
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight Jacket Variations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL