The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dry Hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Well, it's Winter here in Maryland, and once again I have been visited by my annual curse, dry hands. My coin handling skills have gone down the tubes. Lotions help, but most of the ones I have tried tend to leave my hands greasy or smelling like a Marseilles Cathouse. One exception is Cetaphil lotion, but it's expensive. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem, and if so, what do you use for it?
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
You might want to do a search as there are many threads on this topic. My preference is Steve Dela's Texture Spray mentioned here.

Larry (a fellow dry-handed Marylander)
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Chamberlain's Golden Touch Lotion ( http://www.chamberlainlotion.com/index.cfm or you local drugstore can order it for you) or Cornhuskers Lotion (found everywhere) work great.

Mark.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
I add a capfull of glycerin to a bottle of Cornhuskers Lotion and shake well. Glycerin can be obtained at a pharmacy and is inexpensive. This works well for me. My hands become very dry.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I use "Sortkwik". It's a soft, paste-like substance many office workers use to help go through papers or count off bills at a bank. Works very well and doesn't have an odor. You can pick up a small tub of it for a couple dollars at Office Max or Staples.

Regards, Steve
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Wow, lots of good ideas here. Thank you guys, for all the helpful suggestions!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
285 Posts

Profile of Griff
Walgreens has a store brand called Rosewater and Glycerin that works great. Just a couple of drops before I perform or practice. Leaves a slight tackiness that makes coin handling easier. I actually carry it around in an old eyedrop bottle so I'm always ready.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I have lots of Sortquik (my mother works at a bank, and has easy access Smile) and I can attest to its increase in gripular capacity.
DonEngland
View Profile
1947 - 2015
Champaign, IL
258 Posts

Profile of DonEngland
I believe magnets inserted under the skin in pockets is the answer. I sell the magnets
for $100.00 each. You have to wear gloves to conceal the scaring and infection.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Oh no... Not this gloves thing again...

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
billmonroe
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD
181 Posts

Profile of billmonroe
Don & Phedon,

Thank you, I actually had true "Laugh out Loud" experience with reading your posts. Thanks and Happy Holidays to all. ;, gloves...

Cheers,

Bill
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Gloves, that sounds familiar,lol,lol.
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
I would go with "Cornhuskers Lotion" from Wal-mart.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I agree with cornhuskers lotion. I like luberiderm too.
Daniel Faith
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I use Corn Huskers and Sortquik (I alternate depending on the need). I like the idea of adding some glycerin to the lotion; I'll have to try that. The only downside to the Cornhuskers lotion is that it contains alcohol (not entirely good for your skin). It also smells like play dough. Additionally, I use a mild, all natural soap when washing my hands, that doesn't strip out the moisture as much as some other soaps.

Another suggestion to consider: Vagisil. That's next on my list to try as I've heard raves about its effectiveness.

Best of luck!
Evan (aka Magiguy)
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Great post Don..too funny. My vote goes for the Chamberlain lotion. No scars, magnets, or special gloves needed. Just some practice.
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
226 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
For what its worth, I like the Chamberlins Golden touch. Now mind you I am not a "coin worker" but this was recommended to me by Milt Kort who was well noted for his coin work. If it was good enough for him it is great for me:) You can get it at most drug stores or they can order it for you. its not oily like a lot of hand creams and lotions. If you get a small eye dropper type bottle you can always have some in your pocket if the need arises.

Happy New Year to all!

Chris
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-12-31 21:47, ChrisJ wrote:
For what its worth, I like the Chamberlins Golden touch. Now mind you I am not a "coin worker" but this was recommended to me by Milt Kort who was well noted for his coin work. If it was good enough for him it is great for me:) You can get it at most drug stores or they can order it for you. its not oily like a lot of hand creams and lotions. If you get a small eye dropper type bottle you can always have some in your pocket if the need arises.

Happy New Year to all!

Chris

Well Milt was a pharmacist, so if anyone should know, it would be him!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Let me add my recommendation for Chamberlain's Golden Touch Lotion. I have problems with slightly dry hands. I've tried most everything over the years and for me, it's the best. The only difficulty is that it's a little hard to find. But they do have a web site and if you do a Google Search on the name you'll find it. A friend of mine found a store that carried it and I had him buy a dozen bottles for me. That will last a good long time, but for two or three years I'm not going to have to search for it.

Denny Loomis

Oh yeah... one specific thing. I do a pretty good one handed top palm when I have some Golden Touch on my hands. Without it, it becomes very unreliable.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
I can recommend Cornhuskers Lotion (best price Wal-Mart) works great, and
does not stain your clothes.
"Sortkwik"? (I'm not sure of the name) it is used at a bank to count
off bills. Works well, doesn't stain and it has no odor. You can buy it
at any Office supply store.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dry Hands (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL