The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dry Hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
I make up a cheap mixture of 1/3 glycerine; 1/3 surgical spirit (US = rubbing alcohol); 1/3 tap water. So cheap, and it's difficult to over-do it. I have tried hand lotions, put on too much and I couldn't get it to dry quickly enough.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Another suggestion to consider: Vagisil. That's next on my list to try as I've heard raves about its effectiveness.

Best of luck!
Evan (aka Magiguy)

I've used Vagisil for the last three years and it's worked very well for me. It dries quickly and has just the right amount of tackiness for my liking.

Doug
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
I ordered 3 bottles of The Chamberlain's Golden Touch lotion;it is good to handle cards; but for coin magic, I have to tell you that I'm very disappointed, it just do not work, I have being having lots of problems gripping coins for the pass 6 months or so and I have been searching for something good to be able to grip my puppies,so in my case this lotion is worthless; yesterday I ordered some cream that bowlers use for better grip, I'll let you guys know when I get it and try it for a few days.

adios.

Mano.
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
I read about this cream somewhere here in a post by Doug Brewer.

Mano.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
The bowlers cream has a bad smell like you just came from the hospital
skinners edge card cream works and stays on for a long time
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Hi Godfather,

I really do not mind if my hands smell like rotten eggs, as long as I can grip my buddies,LOL, that is all I want with it; I also think that anything works when it comes to card magic, but not for coins, and I am a coin man as you well know Godfather.

Be well.

Mano.

P.S. hey Vinny I hope you got that link I sent you for the ring you wanted to buy.
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
Believe this or not but cheap yellow mouthwash is what I have used for years
(about 14 years now). I found little refillable mouth spritzers and carry one in my pocket along with my coins.
I am able to spray my hands when nessasary and it works for bad breath as well. I am not sure about long term effects using this as a hand lotion but it is the first thing the doctor asked about the third arm growing out of my back.
Next time you see me ask about my "Coins Across and Across Again" from my new book "Third Arm Magic".
I also have some great handlings for implanted magnets that may be of interest to some of you.
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
I think one of the main problems with dry hands is actually the strength of modern soaps and detergents. They take away all the oils and dead cells, which both help to give the skin a natural tackiness. I have found this tackiness to be actually better than anything achieved by any moisturisers (examine your hands, say, first thing in the morning before washing).
I read somewhere that Goshman recommended not washing your hands.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-18 01:32, BobGreaves wrote:

I read somewhere that Goshman recommended not washing your hands.

Gaaaaaaah
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
BobGreaves, are you saying coin magic is a dirty job, but someone has to do it.....?
Where I go, so do my coins.....
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
Fingers,
Check your hands first thing in the morning! I won't comment on the relationship between coin work and your social life. LOL.

DStachowiak,
Marseilles Cathouse: personally I have no experience of what it would smell like and I bow to yours. In that case I could understand your concerns about washing.
Joking aside though, strong detergents like washing up liquid play havoc with your skin condition.
Bob
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Actually, BobGreaves, all joking aside, I think you are right about the hand washing thing. If I have just washed my hands I find I have to warm them up afterwards, so to speak, by doing some palming practice to get them in shape for doing routines. However, if I warm them up a for just a few minutes after washing them, my hands are fine again. So, in the end, I wouldn't wash my hands right before a performance.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
So the idea is to find some hand lotion that contains glycerin and NOT oil? Am I right?
BobGreaves
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
152 Posts

Profile of BobGreaves
I think that washing not only removes any natural oil but also dead skin too. For normal life this may be OK, but I believe that it's this gunk that gives it the stickiness. After washing up I swear that I can feel the fingerprint ridges less proud. As a substitute glycerine seems to work, and I understand it is the major component of hand lotions. I would earnestly recommend the tap water/glycerine/surgical spirit (rubbing alcohol) mixture. On another thread someone mentioned that Mike Close had recommended it, but on his guest spot last week he said he used Chamberlaine's if I remember correctly.
The other recommendation from David Roth is violin rosin on the edges of coins. This can be good but don't overdo it - the coins will stick like glue. You will have a perfect CP but won't be able to release the coin.
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
BobGreaves,

Thanks for your post, I always do the dishes in the house and I never wore gloves,and I have beeing doing that for years,so my hand well always feeling sandy etc, anyway my girlfriend suggested that wear gloves anytime I wash dishes and I did just that,now my hands are feeling and gripping much better; that kitchen soap was destroying my hands completely; so guys, if you do dishes in the house,LOL, do not forget to wear gloves, your hands will appreciate it and you as well.

peace.

Mano.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Vernon preferred Chamberlain's.

Sortkwik is good. Don't fall for the Michael Skinner special creme. It's the same as sortkwik, although the "manufacturer" denies it. I have tried both. They look the same, they smell the same, the work the same way. Sortkwik is cheaper.

Also, try washing your coins.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use Corn Husker's Lotion - it gives a tire tread grip and is easy to find.

I also use Unscented Gold Bond Medicated Body Lotion. It takes a couple of minutes to soak into the skin, but will soften up the hands, enhancing your sense of touch.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Everyone's hand condition is different, so some treatments are good for some, not for others.

My hands are EXTREMELY dry. The best, and longest-lasting, thing I have found is Zim's Crack Creme (pump-spray version). "Glycerin and Rosewater" is good for me, too, but is not as long-lasting.

Have fun experimenting!

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm also a 'Corn Husker's Lotion' user. Gives my hands a nice tack for both coins and cards.
For me 'Sortqwik' works better with cards than coins but is portable and good in a pinch.
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
I have tried carrying around some Fimo clay and it works great. When I need the extra grip I just place some into the hand and work it. Then the other.
Any polymer clay will have the same properties.

Jim
http://www.fireffects.com
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dry Hands (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL