We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Uncovered - John Luka's new book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Has anyone got John's new book Uncovered? The collectors editions are already sold out and this book is full of well designed and tested effects.

I've seen John perform Michigan Monte and know you will enjoy his I.T.H. Triumph routine - it has fooled some of the best card guys in magic.

The book is hardbound with 100 pages, and has a ton of professional photographs.

insidemagic.com
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
For those interested in the book and John's material, here are a few comments on the Café' about some of John's work...

Mike Powers commented on Luka's I.T.H. Triumph - this routine is published in Uncovered...

[...] I.T.H. Triumph was performed by John Luka at FFFF this year for Bill Malone who really dug it…… That’s enough validation for me. [...]

Paul Choose on Luka's 3 ball routine which has updates and is re-published in Uncovered...

[...] John Luka has the best version I've ever seen. It opens, believe it or not, with three red balls changing color! then the balance of the routine is done with three differently colored balls, apparently excluding any substitution. It is based on work by Daley, Milt Kort, and others, and is superb. read it in L.I.N.T., the MOST under-appreciated book of the 1990's! [...]

In my opinion Uncovered contains a number of strong effects that are more than worth the $35 purchase price.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
I also have found there to be a lot of very useful ideas and routines in this book. Very well done and really worth the investment to learning some very powerful magic.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Kevin Fox
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Kevin Fox
I'm loving this book, well produced & writen.
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
I wanted to let you know that John Luka’s new hardcover book “Uncovered" is just hitting the market. John has been a close-up performer for many years and his selection of material for this book is outstanding. Focusing mainly on card routines (there is one ball trick and one coin routine), this is commercial card magic with a capital C.

John has taken many of the classic plots in Magic (Ambitious Card, No Palm Card to Wallet, Montes, Assemblies, Card to Pocket, Triumph etc) and stripped away the clutter and focused on making the magic crystal clear. I, like many of you, have my favorites of these plots but after reading John’s well written and illustrated book, I have started playing with some of his routines.

His previous release L.I.N.T (Luka in the New Tops) covered material from his column on close-up magic that ran for years in that magazine.

17 Effective routines, doable sleight of hand, wonderful plots and effects … what more could you ask for? I know anyone interested in close-up magic will enjoy “Uncovered" .
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Sounds great, thanks for sharing.
Cards never lie
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
567 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Thanks to all of you, who posted above, for your kind words regarding my book. I certainly appreciate it.

I am very proud of the magic contained in "Uncovered." I honestly believe it contains a lot of good commercial magic. Over the past few weeks I have had an opportunity to sit down with several magicians to go over the magic in "Uncovered." I am constantly being reminded, by the reactions of those watching, of how good the material is.

Nathan Kranzo asked me to allow him to post one of the effects from "Uncovered" on his website as a special PERK to subscribers of his newsletter. You may wish to sign up for Nathan's newsletter so you can get a free peek at "The Airplane Card." This is my version of "Card To Pocket" based on Vernon and Carlyle's work.

You can sign up for Kranzo's free newsletter by going to his website. http://www.hismagic.com I would be interested in hearing your feedback.

John Luka
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I received John's book in the mail last week, and I have read through it. It is full of usable, workable, "doable" magic that will "play" for all kinds of audiences. John doesn't put out junk. Both the material in the book and the production values of the book are of the highest order, and the price is right. I'm very pleased to own a copy, and I highly recommend that you get one, too! John is one of the good guys in the magic world, and his magic is very good, as well!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
John just lectured at our local magic club. He's a great performer and did some mind-boggling routines. I picked up his new book...looking forward to reading it.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'll do a review later but it is a card heavy book, well written, strong material.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1140 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Great book.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1880 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Do most of these routines need a table, or can they be performed in the hands or in specs hands?

Thanks
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6023 Posts

Profile of motown
A majority of the effects in John's book can be done standing up without a table. Some can be done standing up, but require a a surface, like his coins through table. Excellent material. You can't go wrong with this book.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1317 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
John's two books are some of my favorite books.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Uncovered - John Luka's new book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL