The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Psychics and Seances--who does believe at all? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
The terms "Open minded" and "Close minded" are tricky.
The "true believer" is just as close minded as the dyed in the wool cynic; for each has made up their mind, once and for all, that what they believe is indeed reality. The cynic is simply not open to the possibly of such phenomena, and the believer is not open to the possibility that they've experienced a misjudgment in perception.

To be truly open minded means you admit you just don't know, or can't know; agnostic, skeptical, etc..
This is the category I fall into.

By the way, I also wish to state for clarity's sake that I feel there's a vast difference between being skeptical and being cynical. Skepticism is healthy and reasonable, it doesn't not preclude an open mind, only a discerning one; cynicism, not so open.
Those who've known me on this site for the past 9 years could attest to my change of mind, from hard core skeptic/cynic (I believe at one time my signature here was "Science is my religion") to someone who, through personal experiences, now feels there may well be something outside of what we currently know to be the "laws" of physics, such as Jung's concept of "Synchronicity". Personally, I feel I've lived and observed some things that just defy what I'd deem as "reasonable" coincidence. That is, of course, in itself, a subjective line to draw, but that's my prerogative. Smile

There is little doubt that there are fakers and charlatans out there, and always have been, but at the same time, it'd be a logical fallacy to deduce that therefore, anyone who claims paranormal phenomena are faking it or misled. http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presump......isation/

I admit that modern science, where it stands today, cannot really support these claims, but I also know that science is not a static thing. It is a self-correcting, forever marching process; science should never be wielded as dogma.
Long ago, we "knew" the universe was geocentric; we "knew" that an imbalance of the "four humours" caused illness; we scoffed at the idea of organisms too small to be seen with the naked eye; we scoffed at the notion of manned flight; we believed the Universe always existed (steady state), ad infinitum.. but it's always with new discoveries that catch us off guard, often aided by new technologies or devices, that we find ourselves eating our words and redefining the nature of reality as we "know" it.
And, as the saying goes, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Then again, you can't "prove" a negative, but that doesn't negate the above axiom either.

For that reason, I try to maintain a truly open mind that there just might be something to it all, some new "energy" (for lack of a better word)yet to be directly observed and categorized. By the same token of an "open mind", however, I also accept that it may be simply a fault in perception or logic.
I may well become close minded someday soon and come to believe (some)paranormal phenomena to be real, and to be honest, I'm heading that way now. But at least, I'll acknowledge that the matter is closed for me.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 01:08, MentalistCreationLab wrote:
You don’t have to believe in the spirits because the spirits believe in you.

That is a very strange thing for you to have said? I had a dream last night about being held in the arms of a lovely spirit. We walked arm and arm over a strange bridge together, our pulses were one, and a magnificent orb of light guided us into...... Smile
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 18:44, RCP wrote:

That is a very strange thing for you to have said? I had a dream last night about being held in the arms of a lovely spirit. We walked arm and arm over a strange bridge together, our pulses were one, and a magnificent orb of light guided us into...... Smile

RCP!!!
You need to hop a flight to NYC to see Play Dead...Todd does that scenario every night on stage.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
I hope to be there in the next couple of months. Dinner and drinks on me! You supply the mushrooms. Smile We can talk about Roth.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 21:31, RCP wrote:
I hope to be there in the next couple of months. Dinner and drinks on me! You supply the mushrooms. Smile We can talk about Roth.

Yes we will!
I would indeed enjoy that evening and the tickets will be on me!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 21:31, RCP wrote:

Is this egregor's twin? Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 16:43, Mystician wrote:
Skepticism is healthy and reasonable, it doesn't not preclude an open mind, only a discerning one;

The only difference I would have with this statement is that I would use "True Skepticism."

Unfortunately, numerous people calling themselves skeptics think that cynicism, predeterimined ideas and a closed mind is all that is required to be a "skeptic." Usually, this pseudo-skeptic uses their know-it-all attitude in an attempt to close the minds of others out of fear that they might be proven wrong and would then have to actually question their limited world view and concept of self.

Herbert Spencer wrote, "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

It is a shame that the pseudo-skeptics, often self-proclaimed defenders of science, are often a a block to true scientific inquiry.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
I'd like to quote Niels Bohr here, who had a horseshoe above his door. When asked if he really believed it brought him luck, he replied: "Of course not, but I'm told it works even if you don't believe in it."
LarsRuth
View Profile
Loyal user
Frankfurt, Germany
212 Posts

Profile of LarsRuth
If I am being asked, if I believe in astrology, I usually answer: "No. But then, I'm a Libra, and Libras don't believe in astrology."
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 08:59, Yannou wrote:
I'd like to quote Niels Bohr here, who had a horseshoe above his door. When asked if he really believed it brought him luck, he replied: "Of course not, but I'm told it works even if you don't believe in it."

Awesome quote, I love it!
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Quote:
On 2011-01-21 15:55, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-21 06:45, volto wrote:
I like Fort's point about rocks falling from the sky. "There are no rocks in the sky", said the scientists, "therefore rocks do not fall from the sky". It turns out, of course, that there are rocks in the sky.
That said, Fort loses me when he says the same thing about fish. Smile
And yet, fish have been known to fall from the skies...

Yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raining_animals

In other news, there's no such thing as mind reading Smile
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Anthrocentric (human-centered) fallacy -- Consider the example of a preacher who one day takes someone supposedly possessed of a demon, throws his hand on her forehead, and shouts, "Get out! Leave this body!" Even supposing that demons exist, one might find it curious that they understand English, obey peremptory commands, and are easily influenced by incantations and rituals. The a.f. here occurs at the presupposition level: human language, reason, instincts, and desires are assumed to be the orbit around which everything else in the universe (including the aforementioned demons) revolve.

We are very strange self indulging creatures and take ourselves way to seriously. A billion years from now absolutely no one will have cared. Smile But this has been most interesting!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2011-01-25 20:52, RCP wrote:
... one might find it curious that they understand English, obey peremptory commands, and are easily influenced by incantations and rituals.

Or perhaps the AF here is assuming that such entities could not and would not do these things.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Within the preacher's belief system it's completely reasonable and logically consistent that the demon would respond in to his actions. The same thing goes for anyone who deals in such matters.

I don't think any of the mentioned assumptions are necessarily there. There are many explanations for why that ritual may (or may not) work that do not necessitate an anthrocentric bias. Not that this says anything, one way or the other, about wether any of this is or is not true or is or is not effective but it's to common to take one small action or aspect of a belief system, analyze it out of context, come to some conclusion about it and assume that you are so much smarter than the person you are talking about because obviously they have not thought about it this way before.

I recently had an interesting conversation about this after sitting through a Presbyterian service with my Uncle (Catholic) my mother (Siddha Yogini) and myself (Orthodox Neo-Pagani-Satano-Christlimew).

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
One more thing about the AF example:

Quote:
one might find it curious that they understand English, obey peremptory commands, and are easily influenced by incantations and rituals.

This example makes the fallacy that the preacher in the example believes:
1)That the entity understanding English is necessary.
What if the effect of the english words on the preacher's psyche created an etheric charge that blasted the demon out of the body? (that was jargon laden, but just used as an example of one possible alternative)

2)Demons are easily influenced.
just pointing this out, where does it say that this was easy? What if it was emotionally, psychologically or energetically very difficult?

3)Demons are influenced by incantations and rituals
This statement assumes that incantations and rituals do not actually do anything and that the demon must only be responding to the actions of the preacher.

I'm not saying that any of this is true only that I think that this excerpt has a few logical fallacies of it's own (I was going to go through and see if the list itself labelled adn explained these fallacies ...but I didn't).

RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Well presented seadog93. Professor Laban Shrewsbury would approve, Smile
I miss my days at Miskatonic.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
LOL!

Jack Baines
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jack Baines
Quote:
On 2003-01-08 15:10, Peter Marucci wrote:
Jennieprice writes: "I'd say that all were frauds. . . . I was a working medium for a while."

This is not meant to come down on the sides of either the believers or the nay-sayers.

But:

There are people out there who claim to be astronauts and who really aren't. But that doesn't mean there are no REAL astronauts!

I know this was said 8 years ago, but it is still a terrible analogy. There are people who claim they are Horatio Nelson, and I can confirm that no one alive today is the Horatio Nelson.

Everyone wants to be taken seriously, so people get upset when even their most ridiculous beliefs are questioned. Look, for instance at Jim Callahan (although I suspect he is more fraud than deluded). Perhaps a more accurate analogy would be people who believe god made the world in six days. Try showing them the proof of evolution in DNA coding.
But the fact of the matter is, and I do state this as fact, there are no spirits, or any similar thing that anyone can channel. And anyone who claims to do so IS either deluded or fraudulent.

I was going to try and put lots of evidence into this but there is no need, the evidence is so overwhelming and abundant. The evidential burden clearly does not lie with the non-believer, we have already made our case a million times over. And yet the believers have yet to submit one bit of substantiated evidence.

Those who say "never say never", being unable to disprove something does not count as proving it is possible enough to be considered. You can not disprove that I did not sneak into your cave last night with a bit of shiny metal I found in a meteor creator and use it to plant this hallucination of a world filled with cars, planes, music, art, brick houses and strangest of all, computers. You can not prove that I did not do this and you are in fact in a cave, in a coma with no technical knowledge further than how to make fire and craft a crude flint axe. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, because the chances are about as high as someone's dead conciousness trying desperately to speak to us through slimy weird people to let us know that "that thing we have been worrying about is fine".

Jack.
justcookin
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of justcookin
Quote:
On 2011-01-24 08:59, Yannou wrote:

Wonderful Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Psychics and Seances--who does believe at all? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL