The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Split Fan Currency Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
The long awaited release of 'Fred Kaps - Seeing Is Believing' is available on DVD at the Hocus Pocus site.

In the video clip at hocus-pocus.com, Fred Kaps appears to be doing the note manipulations. Check it out and tell me what you think.

With footage of Kaps from 1962 at the 50th. anniversary of the 'Magischer Zirkel von Deutschland' in Hamburg. His routines including 'The Classic Card Manipulations Done with Banknotes'.

Again, not to serve as a tool to copy his act but to inspire you.

Man what a guy! Simply one of the best!
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Incidentally, there is bit of paper money manipulation in the wonderful old Supreme book, “Magic with Faucett Ross” by Lewis Ganson. Included in the book is a routine that was created by Harry Usher and was performed by Faucett Ross as well as Dai Vernon (during his USO tour in the South Pacific during WWII), and there is a full explanation of the “Money Grab” routine that was once sold by Supreme Magic.

Levent
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Performing money (bill) manipulation is a good idea. I started using bill productions as an addition and as a kicker to my coin manipulations and miser's dream starting in 1981. I found Tarbell and other already mentioned sources to be very helpful. A lot of homework and a lot of experimentation along the way. Instead of split fanning the bills (already split fanned cards), I chose to use a method of folding and gimmicking the bills so they "nested" together and would open quite nicely when produced singly or multi and then fanned. The load of bills are easy to steal from your place of choice. I'm pretty sure the source of this method is from Tarbell. Of course, as with any manipulation there is technique or knack required to get the bills to open properly. Practice revealed this to me.
I enjoy good audience reaction from using loads of spring bills to cap this money sequence. Good luck with your search and efforts--I'm sure it will pay off.
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Dynamike,
I've found the Osaka Bills method a very easy way to produce a fan of bills. The loads are small, easy to conceal and make a flashy production. It can be done with both hands using the same set up. You can use five to ten bills in a set up. The advantage is the bills are all loose. they flutter to the floor when dropped, creating nice misdirection as you reload. I use my own stage bills, spectators love to collect them after the performance.
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Actually you can buy the Fred Kaps DVD from http://www.fredkcapsdvd.com

He did arm spreads with them which tells you something of the thickness

You can get custom printed cards from Kardwell international---- so you can get them printed up with VISA written on them - so you can produce Visa cards in your act

Magazine front cover stock would be the first choice---get them cut them to size and then if they work- see how you get them printed----Money in Australia is plastic which creates problems but they are different colors which is nice
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Hey David, is that a real site? The url http://www.fredkcapsdvd.com doesn't work for me.
four elements
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of four elements
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-01-22 17:21, Wizzard wrote:
Dynamike,
I've found the Osaka Bills method a very easy way to produce a fan of bills. The loads are small, easy to conceal and make a flashy production. It can be done with both hands using the same set up. You can use five to ten bills in a set up. The advantage is the bills are all loose. they flutter to the floor when dropped, creating nice misdirection as you reload. I use my own stage bills, spectators love to collect them after the performance.

Thank you, Wizzard. I already have that video tape. I like how you are encouraging me to use it. I will look in to adding that to my act also. Thank you again.

Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-01-19 12:47, wmhegbli wrote:
Fanning Powder works better then baby powder. Also you can use those instant shine sponges for shoes. These are the best for having the cards slide.

Good luck!

A previous year someone told me "Mop and Glo" will work. And it did. I will also try the shoe shine as you mentioned. OK, I take your word for it, I will also order some fanning powder this week.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Fanning powder is actually Zinc Stearate...used to be able to get it at bigger pharmacy counters.

On stage you have to ESTABLISH that what your are producing IS MONEY... Kaps established by taking the first batch out of his wallet. You can't just produce them as the audience may not know what you are using.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Hey Pete, I just noticed you are interviewed in the Fred Kaps 'Seeing Is Believing' DVD. Nice! My copy is still on the way.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-01-24 22:09, Pete Biro wrote:

On stage you have to ESTABLISH that what your are producing IS MONEY... Kaps established by taking the first batch out of his wallet. You can't just produce them as the audience may not know what you are using.

I already have that idea solved, Pete. I'll send you a PM.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2004-01-17 13:04, Pete Biro wrote:
Kaps had his bills made and printed to his specifications. You need to go to a printer and find out what paper stock, how thick, how big to make them, etc.

If you are serious about this you will go to the trouble.

Fred's bills were made to look like US Dollar bills, but had his picture on them. I have a few somewhere in my stash. Kaps had different sizes for different handlings. They were NOT stuck on playing cards, but printed on special stock. Smile

Watching the FISM act, it seems that he uses different size bills. For the first section of producing bills, he uses the Kolma production of folding the bills and stealing them. These he seems to use standard size bills. For the springing the bills and the split fans, it seems that these are the ones with the card stock. They also seem smaller.

Pete, do you know the size Kaps used for those? I'm not sure if they are the same size as playing cards or maybe slightly larger. Kaps had large hands so they are probably larger than a normal deck, but still a bit smaller than a standard size bill.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
One of Fred Kaps currency bills is published in the August 1980 Genii Magazine. This article also reported his death in his sleep at age 54.

Another one of his currency bills is published in the booklet describing "Fred Kaps Currency" trick.

Currently, very good Manipulation Bills are being made by John Blake of East Coast Magic. These are similar to the ones seen in the Fred Kaps videos. Anyway, they look very similar.

http://www.eastcoastmagic.com/joblmabi.html
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
You can buy bills from East Coast Magic store
http://www.eastcoastmagic.com/joblmabi.html
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There was a split fan currency production in one of Bruce Elliott's books-- _Magic as a Hobby_--contributed by Kolma. Instructions were provided on how to prepare the bills.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sonny, I have that book. I tried different type of bills in the beginning. The bills were not stiff enough until I tried John Blake's bills with the routine. It is best to powder the bills first.
imanipulatestuff
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of imanipulatestuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au5vLt4ejM4 check out this video! Maxwell, the performer seems to have the right idea, yo could ask him what he uses Smile
danielguo
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of danielguo
In HONG KONG. there is a magician called joker lam.

he produce a prop which is paper money. he did the act in this year china magic convention.

so if you want. I can help you to get some

but the shipping fee may... higher..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Split Fan Currency Production (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL