The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Favorite Material for Dove Holders (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys.. Just wondering what your favorite material for Dove Holders are.. I'm about to start making my own holders, and want to pick up some fabric, but just want to see what you guys recomend for the material..

Thanks,
-Vinnie
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I prefer heavy satin, but have used nylon (parachute grade) with good results. For me, the dove holder needs to be smooth, but stiff enough not to catch the tips of feathers.

Incidentally, Eleazar Goodenough has come up with a new form of camouflaged dove holder that may require a new term and add fuel to the debate in another thread about what terms should be used for this important piece of dove equipment. As I get ready to type up his notes for The Wizards' Journal, I'll have to give it a great deal of thought whether it is just a dove holder variation, or some whole new category all by itself and deserving of a new term to go with it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20508 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For decades my favorites were made of cotton ducking. The colors matched silks and they were machine washable. There was even a time when we sold them. A few years ago, DoveLite switched to nylon tricot. They require considerably more skill to make well but have many advantages over all dove harnesses I've ever used. (And there have been a few! Slydini started me off with a man's hank and hair pins.)

The new ones are so soft and flexible that I can palm them like a 12" silk. (They will fit in the good pottery eggs for silk to egg with the silk!) Like the old ones from the 60s, they are machine washable but don't fade! They are perfect matches for China silks. They safely fit the dove like a sock and release completely. They are easier to put on the dove and breath! They are MUCH smoother than cotton and stay that way (harder nnylon changes over time).

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5121 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I can vouch for the DoveLite holders. They seem to stretch around the dove and they compress very well.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20508 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dave,

Thanks for the confirmation. For many, many years I fought with dove harnesses that were more bulky than the dove. This is the best solution I've seen. And it is much safer than any of the "invisible" harnesses I've ever seen. (Which warrants the question: Then how did I see them?)

The safest place for a dove's wings are next to it's body.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Favorite Material for Dove Holders (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL