We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best Playing Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
"Please take responsibility for this". I love that . . .
Cards never lie
Daniel White
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Daniel White
By far the new split spades
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
The ellusionist cards are just special designs printed by US Playing Card Company. So they'll have the same problems that Bicycles can have. I've had a few decks of Bikes that warped like described above, right out of the box. I've also had mis-cut Bikes as well as a mis-cut deck of Ghost cards.

When you have a deck that has that "click" in it, you just have to work with it a while to soften it up and get rid of the click. It may take a day or so.
Bobby Puga
View Profile
Loyal user
El Centro, CA
201 Posts

Profile of Bobby Puga
Normal red/blue bicycle deck... 12 decks for no more that 13 dollars at costco...
-pugsta
Customized greatly...
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2007-02-13 16:03, Tempesta wrote:
I ran this by the Team and got some advice straight from Brad:

You HAVE to be doing something to the cards in order for them to be warping like this. Please take responsibility for this.

The Ghost deck is like any other deck you would buy in a drugstore, except better stock and hopefully cut much better. Please don't blame these things on the deck. I've opened several of my own and simply never have any of these problems - ever.

If the cards are slightly warped when I first take them out, I WORK with them. Fan, faro, shuffle, bend them the opposite way. My cards never, ever, EVER clump up half an hour after use. And if they did, I'd be going, “what did I DO?” I'd be looking at myself rather than submitting a ticket or blaming the deck.

Stick them in a porper guard, and make sure it’s the right type, there are two different types of Porper clips, one for regular cards, and one for the Premium Editions (Tigers, Vipers, Ghosts).

It is the same with rough edges. Work with them. That's what it means to own a deck of cards.

||team (e) ||

Typical Ellusionist garbage! It's called "spin".
Turn the blame around. It's your fault! Riiiiight! Smile

Just go out and get a good buy on good 'ol regular Bicycles and save yourself some money and headaches.

~gaffed~ Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Bee is the best......
better than bicycle (for me.....)
but the best design is Black Tiger and Guardian
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5543 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I just purchased a deck of then new plastic Bicycles. I need to break them in, but they seem to handle pretty well. Definitely more springy and active than regular cards...and durable.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Bikes or Tallys for me guys. When I'm working the bar, I may go through four or five packs during the night. They go into the shoe, under a wet drink, get torn and restored...etc. Bikes and Tallys handle nicely, and are priced such that I don't have to cringe everytime the deck is swapped for a new one.

Just my oppinion.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Dosent matter what the back design looks like, as far as most spectators are concerned any deck in the hand of a magician is going to be "rigged". If your the type of magician who needs to prove that the deck in your hands is normal versus the type of magician who wants to entertain audiences then go out and buy what you feel is the most "common" deck in your geographical area.If you assume that because Bicycles and Bees are the prominent deck of choice based on the fact that these are the brands your local Walgreens sells,then by those brands. When everyone in your geographical area sees every magician using the same brand of cards they will all then rest assured that these brands must be normal,especially if all the magicians use them! Then stand back as a magical entertainer takes a well worn bridge sized deck from his pocket with some extinct airline advertised on the back. A magician who could care less how well the deck farrows or even if the deck has all 52 cards in it. Watch this person carefully and see how he entertains with the magic of his personality first, rather than how cool or well cut his deck of cards is.Sure,he might not do a crazy Sybil cut or a fifteen minute ambitious card routine, but ask the audience after he puts his cards away what was the most fun about being entertained by this magician. Im pretty sure it wont have anything to do with how the cards looked.
satcom
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of satcom
Ellusionist has some decent products, but their outlook on their customers is what definitely turns me off and has made me decide to not purchase anything from them.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2007-02-13 16:03, Tempesta wrote:
I ran this by the Team and got some advice straight from Brad:

You HAVE to be doing something to the cards in order for them to be warping like this. Please take responsibility for this.

The Ghost deck is like any other deck you would buy in a drugstore, except better stock and hopefully cut much better. Please don't blame these things on the deck. I've opened several of my own and simply never have any of these problems - ever.

If the cards are slightly warped when I first take them out, I WORK with them. Fan, faro, shuffle, bend them the opposite way. My cards never, ever, EVER clump up half an hour after use. And if they did, I'd be going, “what did I DO?” I'd be looking at myself rather than submitting a ticket or blaming the deck.

Stick them in a porper guard, and make sure it’s the right type, there are two different types of Porper clips, one for regular cards, and one for the Premium Editions (Tigers, Vipers, Ghosts).

It is the same with rough edges. Work with them. That's what it means to own a deck of cards.

||team (e) ||

What a freaking joke.

Sometimes your cards suck. Please take responsiblity for THAT.

The ghost deck better NOT be like any cards you buy in a drugstore. With tag lines like "UV-500 finish" And "Thick high grade stock" they better be pretty darn different. As I recall the cards I buy in a drug store have an "air cusion" finish and are printed on regular stock.

Or has "Team E" been pulling everyones leg about the "High quality" of thier decks?

I'll tell you... I've never seen such a bunch of non-sense, Kiss butt statments all strung together in one post. If I open a deck of regular bikes and a deck of your specialty cards at the same time and put them side by side, And your specialty cards warp while the bikes are still flat, Is it still my fault?

What a bunch of garbage.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
As a side note, I really didn't like the masters. They seem a little to thick to me.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
One thing that can happen with cards that go via air mail is they get warped. I have noticed this before. That nasty "click" that you can make when you pop them back and forth. YUCK!

You can try any number of remedies. Sometimes they work. Alternating the cards face-down, face-up and putting them in the crisper (in your fridge) overnight has worked for me.

Also, springing them over and over (alternating face-up and face-down) as worked.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1818 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2008-11-26 20:39, Tim Jahn wrote:

Or has "Team E" been pulling everyones leg about the "High quality" of thier decks?

Don't you mean "Team D"? As in...Dellusionaist!
Slick site....Slimy junk.
For the most part, the place is a joke but, the prepubescent teenie BoobeTube wanna be's love it. Hey.....it makes money!

~gaffed~ Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter"A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
If I am going to pay extra for a deck of cards because they "look cool," then I would expect them to last longer. To tell me that it is my fault because they warp quickly and that I should "own up and take responsibilty for this" is very poor customer PR, especially from someone who looks like they are 16 (I am 56, and have been in magic for 30 years...longer than he has been alive).

Bob Phillips
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I do not think it is the deck(s).

I ordered 3 decks a couple of weeks ago from Ellusionist:

- Ghost Deck

- Masters Red

- Masters Blue

After a couple of days, they each became clicker decks, to varying degrees. I tried all the remedies I knew. None worked.

Then I thought about the room I was keeping them in, and how I was transporting them. The room in my home where I keep them (and on my desk, not in a drawer) is the room that is very susceptible to weather outside. If it is cold outside, it is cold in this room, etc.... (need to have our ducts looked at!) Plus, I was taking them with me in the car, many times with the AC blowing (during the day in Dallas is can still get very warm in the car on sunny days).

I thought about weather/climate issues, and started keeping them in my bedroom in a drawer. In 24 hours they were fine.

I think Brad is right. It is not the cards, nor is it Ellusionist. Ellusionist did not make them, they only ordered and sold them. They are playing cards.

Just my experience with them. Hope this helps someone.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
prizna
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of prizna
Hi,

Could someone here please fill me in on what you mean by the deck has a "click"
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Playing cards are playing cards. If these expensive cards must be stored in a hermetically sealed room, and you must bring your spectators to said room, then what is the reason for having them?

Bob Phillips
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2008-12-10 08:25, bobn3 wrote:
Playing cards are playing cards. If these expensive cards must be stored in a hermetically sealed room, and you must bring your spectators to said room, then what is the reason for having them?

Hmmm.... I meant to imply that was that there was only one place (a room in my home) that was not good for cards. Everywhere else has been fine. Removed them from that room and they are fine now (and fine elsewhere, too).

Plus, a/c in a car or plane has always affected my cards - all my cards, not just expensive ones.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4145 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
[quote]On 2008-12-10 08:33, Chessmann wrote:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Best Playing Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL