The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Levatation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicMatt13
View Profile
New user
New Berlin, WI
7 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt13
Does anyone know any good levatation books that I could buy or get from the library?
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
NO. Do you know any magic to begin with? Do you have any background??
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
If you look around long enough, you will find the methods for any trick you want. But you'll never find the secret to magic. At least that way.
Have fun.
Alex Linian
MagicMatt13
View Profile
New user
New Berlin, WI
7 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt13
Ok Montethrower I do know magic and I do know a couple of levatation tricks. I'm a beginner at magic, I started about a year ago. I joined this site to try to meet some magicians and maybe learn a few things about magic.
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Levitation tricks are kind of anti-climactic in my opinion. At least the ones on the market right now. And they are all VERY angly. Watch it.

Monte
Magic Dude777
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Magic Dude777
Jeez Montethrower,
Go easy on the new guys!!
Max Pritchard
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, UK, Montpellier, France
2 Posts

Profile of Max Pritchard
Hello MagicMatt13,

If you're interested in street levitations then there do seem to be plenty of products on the market, while books on the subject may be harder to come by because gimmicks are often involved, so there can't just be a written description of all the methods available, because many cannot be performed without first building or making or buying something.

In terms of stage levitations, some effects are dealt with, if memory serves, in Mark Wilson's 'Complete Course in Magic', which they had in my local library in England, so you should be able to get your hands on a copy. Jim Steinmeyer's 'Hiding the Elephant' is good for a description of magicians fighting over the secret of levitation (although it's a history of magic and magicians, really, and as such not instructional).

This may be not what you hear, but you might consider not levitating. This is something I did only today, in my capacity as an English teacher in French schools. The children demanded that I float (they've seen me do magic during playtime), so I stood and concentrated for a while, and then just looked apologetic. This often has a very strong effect, and people (not just children) seem to think that you wouldn't stand with your arms out and your eyes shut if you KNEW nothing was going to happen, and so reach the conclusion that at some point in the past, it must have worked.

It's a bit cruel, and if the circumstances are right it can be followed by something (an actual levitation effect) rather more convincing (it's up to you to choose what to buy from a magic shop), or you could do a select few powerful tricks to follow, just to leave people wondering what MIGHT have happened.

Hope this helps and that the suggestion above isn't too facetious, it is something which I have found works, although maybe you won't like it.

Best of luck,

Max.
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
675 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Max is right. You might not want to do a levitation at this point. Looks great on TV, not so impressive in the real world, and as Monte says the angles can be problematic. If you have only been in magic for about a year, then your best bet is to strengthen your basics.

My recommendation would be to start acquiring volumes in the "Tarbell Course In Magic" which covers quite a bit of the art. In volume 1 alone you will find chapters on history of magic, coins, cards, ball magic, rope magic, etc. It is a great place to learn sleight-of-hand, which is essential. Don't be led astray by the "no skill required" school. Anyone can perform boring tricks.

Also, search eBay and find a copy of "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms. It will teach you about misdirection, how to put a routine together, dramatic structure and other essentials.

Magic is a great art, unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who just buy tricks and think that is the road to being a magician. The more you study magic, the more you will realize that isn't true.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I have not posted on this thread for a while but this one deserves to bring up a point. succesful street performers are a group of highlly skilled performers that not only master their particular skill but also the skills of gathering, keeping and ultimately making money off of the street audience. a good pitch is a brutal environment to work as the angles are insane. You have little or no control of the situation. to perform a levitation in such an environment is not for the light hearted or star struck beginner. when faced with " a mean spirited angry mob....The rennaisance man, witch trial" a new performer has a lot to learn.
to echo the previous posts and many previous threads, don't be lured into the trap of the latest craze of as seen on TV. street magic is about individualism, creativity and the strength of the performer. Ill go back to my hat now.
Michael
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
191 Posts

Profile of Cheety
Wat is the name of the illusion where you lean really back and not fall down? I have seen it on criss angel and on t.h.e.m. but dunno wat it is.

you are parallel to the ground but ur feet stay on the ground. that's the best I can explain.
Mostly Harmless ^_^
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Cheety,
You might want to read the earlier posts on this thread and then rethink why you're asking this question.

Now, to answer:
The Criss Angel trick you saw was an adaptation of a stage suspension. It's not "Street Magic" but merely stage magic with an outdoor stage, tech crew, lights, assistants, etc...

It's not exactly what he did (as I said, he adapted known technology to make this unique to him) but the Lounge Suspension is the closeset I've seen. It's usually presented with a magician and assistant as you saw Criss do on Fremont Street with a "visitor" in an earlier show. (My wife knows that "visitor." She used to work with her. She was excited when she was asked to work on the show. Note the word "work." If you haven't already guessed, she was hired to play the part of a visiting tourist.)
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
191 Posts

Profile of Cheety
I just wan't to know the name. so that when I tell it to my 2 magic friends I can use the proper name.
Mostly Harmless ^_^
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Do a search for "The Lean"
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Pete,
That's just a forward lean, isn't it? I imagine it would be a lot tougher to lean back. I know I can't do it. I'd be flat on the ground with broken ankles.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Magician of the century
View Profile
New user
Washington
57 Posts

Profile of Magician of the century
To do the lean back suspension in the out doors like criss you would need a lot of

equipment hidden outside of the cameras veiw then you need some cheesy actors and

possibly depending on the method some video editing software.
ericlam8992
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ericlam8992
Did you see cyril do that trick of leaning backward? well, I dun think you need editing software or actors for this trick....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r0ks2An2F8
expand your consciousness
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of expand your consciousness
Wow. Cyril seems to take original ideas and makes them more magnificent than they or adding his ideas to magnify the illusion. This ain't no CA job, and I doubt many if any stooges where needed.
Look at how he plays with this backbend levitation, it's like he's almost making fun of it.
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
223 Posts

Profile of baggins321
Yeah it seems to me that cyril and criss angel's matrix style leaning backward levitation is completely different from Malloy's The Lean. At least I hope so, for impromptu magic's sake. I have only posted a couple times on these forums and don't know how uptight the mods are about speculating on methods so delete this if necessary. But from what I gather a very heavy piece of metal is required to stand on for the The Lean to be successful. Cyril and Angel's matrix levitations seemed much more flexible. They were surrounded, and angel was on a grassy field. I suspect/hope there is a gimmick/brace in the pants that locks at a 90 degree angle or something along those lines. If so I'd like to purchase this effect but nobody seems to know the creator or where to buy it. I sent a pm to Enrico De La Vaga but I doubt he'll respond.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Quote:
On 2007-01-21 00:02, Magician of the century wrote:
To do the lean back suspension in the out doors like criss you would need a lot of

equipment hidden outside of the cameras veiw then you need some cheesy actors and

possibly depending on the method some video editing software.

Way off... I do this Matrix suspension every night at the end of every show. And I do it on a banquet table or riser in the middle of the audience. I also sometimes go outside in front of the theater and do it on the street to pull ticket sales. The greatest walkaround illusion ever. I don't think the gimmick is for sale that ive ever seen. I made my own. With a little thought, the gimmick is an everyday item modified.

I know its rare to say criss didn't use camera tricks... but he didn't on this one, thank god! But no camera tricks needed for this illusion.

Here is an everyday guy doing it... don't think he used stooges or camera angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1VVcINujc

As far as Malloys lean, completely different illusion and gimmick. Cant just do it anywhere like you can with the Matrix.
Prof. Alexander
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Prof. Alexander
Hi video'
"An everyday item modified?" Please give me a clue? I'd love to do this illusion!
The Prof.
I met this chap at the Olympics. I said to him, "Excuse me but are you a pole vaulter?" he replied "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Levatation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL