The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cool magic for a 5 yrs old girl? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
Hey there,

I bought a cheap 1$ magic kit for my girlfriend's 5yrs old cousin. There was 4 tricks: 1- The hook and the rubber band in a lipstick thingy 2-A plastic nail through a quarter trick 3-A plastic coin box in a handerchief 4- Computer cards

Now she's really into the 2 tricks she can do in the lot: the hook and the cards.
She's doing them for everyone she meets and hell... she's getting better reaction than me!! I'm jealous... but I disgress Smile

What magic kit can you recommend for little girls like her? I don't want to get anywhere close to the cheap "Be a real magician" kit for kids. I had one when I was young and the cheap gimmicks made me quit magic for 15 years Smile.

Also, by your experience, can a 5yrs old girl learn card magic? Is her attention span long enough to practice key card effects? I'm seeing her tonight so I though I'd bring her the Magic Cards kit from wal-mart (1 red bike and a blue stripper, bridge sized).

Any opinions? suggestions? prayers? threats? Smile

(Edit: I just went in the wal-mart to find there was no more magic cards. Well, there was 2 stripper decks lying among the other decks. Luckily I arrived in time to "suggest" some customers to take the poker sized deck instead. Since they were not in their original package I just trew them on the risers. They'll find them sooner or later Smile)
clmagic09
View Profile
New user
Boston
20 Posts

Profile of clmagic09
Hi Louis,
I would say that certain basic card tricks are fine, just nothing really advanced. I don't know your girlfriend's cousin, but usually 5 year olds can't comprehend card tricks.

On another note, if you are interested in getting her a nice magic set the ones made by Fantasma magic look good.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
For a 5 year old, I'm not sure a set is the way to go. Just based on having raised 2 of my own, I'm thinking a magic trick like the ball vase to start, or maybe the spiked coin or Chinese prayer vase or Imp Bottle, but I think a whole set would overwhelm most 5 year olds, even if she were able to understand all the tricks.
Dai Vernon said he got started when he was 6, but for mortal humans, I think its best to start out one trick at a time, and seehow she takes to it.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
Wow... Fantasma got such a great line-up of kits.

There's even kits for the working pros. If I had that when I was a kid..

there's this one here for 15$. It includes a case that turn into a stage + a mirror so the kid can see if he does the trick right.
http://www.fantasmamagic.com/shopping/proddetail.php?prod=59

And I checked on the web site of my local magic store, they have a fantasma kit for 65$ with 250 tricks and illusions + DVD. ouch!
http://www.spectram.com/catalogue/index.......imite=20

For now, I bought a Mickey Mouse deck so she can be a little more interested in the cards Smile. I'll show her the key card and how to find a picked card with it. She'll have a 2 effects mentalism routine Smile
clmagic09
View Profile
New user
Boston
20 Posts

Profile of clmagic09
Yeah their magic sets look great. I too wish I had one when I was first starting in magic.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You might try more individual tricks for her at that age. I started about age 4, and as I recall card magic was still above me at that point. I could do a french drop after some practice, but that was the limit of my coin magic then. Kind of tricks might be wand to flower, I could do cups and balls basic routine at that age, mostly small self working effects. She might be able to handle ball and vase, nickels to dimes, budha paper etc.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
The children's toy company, Melissa & Doug, make some nice sets out of wood. You could get one of them and break up the set. Giving her one piece at a time.

Now that she can do the 2 effects, start showing her presentation. Don't let her do the snapper (rubber band - hook thing) as a look what I can do and you can't. Have her create a presentation. Is there a little spirit that helps her? Are there special words that she learned from an old book? Have it not grab the rubber band the first time, before she even attempts to release it. When it "catches", have her mime the tension of the rubber band as she pulls it out, and delay the release.

She's learned the tricks, turn her on to the magic.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
My daughter is six and she loves productions. She can handle my old Temple Screen and a little chick pan very well. She was using a plastic egg vase until it broke.

I think young kids would like things like productions and vanishes better than card tricks.

Chris
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Josh, I gave my son that kit this year (he is 6) and he loves it. The wood pieces are durable and easy to use. I had purchased another kit before this one that was intended for 5+. He grew frustrated with that kit and so did I. The tricks were poorly made and I can say a 5yr old is not going to be able to do card manipulation, for one thier hands are not big enough and the dexterity isn't there yet. So my vote goes to Melissa and Doug as well.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Richard71
View Profile
New user
Cheshire, UK
54 Posts

Profile of Richard71
Marvin does a number of great kits for kids here in the uk. I'm not sure where else in the world these are distributed. My son particularly liked his magic hat set, which includes some real classics like the cups and balls, a fantastic colour change book and a rabbit puppet that can apear from the top hat and can assist in a number of the tricks. The set is about £15 or cheaper in the uk.
Mavanhare
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Mavanhare
I think 5 years old is a little too young for card magic. I do some tricks for my friend's little sister and she doesn't get most of the ones I show her.

"Was this your card?"
"Uhm...I forgot...it was black...I think...no red!"
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
There's a great (smaller) set from Melissa & Doug. I'd second Josh's recommendation there. Also, the ball & vase is great for my 4-year old. She is also great with the flower from wand and Zig-Zag Pencil (or Rope). Best wishes! I get no greater joy than seeing my daughter's eyes light up when she does a trick for me (or anyone) and they respond to her!
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
DeaconBlu
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DeaconBlu
My four year old boy watches me do magic and shrugs it off. LOL To him, the microwave is more magical. "Hey, silk hankies, can I have some warm milk?" Someday.
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
My daughter did her first public performance at her fourth birthday party. It was totally her (and her mother's) idea. They just had me teach/arrange. It was VERY fun!
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cool magic for a 5 yrs old girl? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL