The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Schoolcraft Coin Set for Coin One? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Just curious

don't you think the process will "remove" the silver layer of the coin if you do it over and over, eventually ?
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
285 Posts

Profile of Griff
No it won't on real silver coins. You will eventually lose detail, but if you want soft coins, it doesn't really matter. And once you get the results you want, you're done. This is a photo of 2 sets. The Morgan set is actually a Johnson shell (bottom) and store bought Morgans. I bought them in good condition, then softened them and then aged them myself. This way I have a soft coin with nice sharp edges. The Walkers are a Dean's set (2 yrs. old now) still have a nice edge even though you can't really tell by the photo. This isn't a very good photo because it doesn't show the actual shine of the highlighted areas. But it gives you the idea...
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r192/......c002.jpg
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-03 10:41, MichaelKent wrote:
DStachowiak,

Here's what I did:

Put a small amount of bleach in a small bowl. Just enough to submerge the coins. Put all the coins in (shell included) and count to 10 or 20 depending on how dark you want them. When you pull them out, be careful where you grab them, as your finger will leave light spots. its best to try to grip them by the edge when you're removing them. place them onto a paper towel and dab dry. Run under water and dry again. Put a small dab (dime size) of white's silver polish onto a cotton cloth and start working the coin, gently rubbing, to brighten up just the raised areas (on my walking libs, I paid attention to the rim of the coin, the eagle, and the liberty figure). I've noticed that the shell does not rotate as easily on the coin now due to the oxidation. This could be fixed by polishing the inside of the shell, but I think the action of the shell is actually improved now. It didn't change the nesting/unnesting ability whatsoever, just made it so the shell doesn't rotate as easily on the coin.

For my copper/silver coin, I put just enough bleach in the cap of the bleach bottle to cover just the bottom of the coin but not the top. Then I put the coin, silver side down into the cap and finished up the same as the other coins.

This is what I did with my coins and it seemed to work pretty well. I assume no responsibility if someone ruins their coins or gets bleach in their eyes.

MK

Thank you for the detailed explanation Michael, I will try it!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

That's nice sets of coin you have there, Griff

I'll try it. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I aged some coins by the bleach method last night, but the direct flash on my camera washes out the detail too much to get a good shot, I'll try and get photos today when I have better lighting options, I am very pleased with the result.
I didn't have any silver polish handy, so I used ashes (ashes are a great metal polish, very gentle)
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Why are folks going for soft coins for this trick?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I perform coinOne and I wonder the same
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Monkey see, monkey do. LOL.

Actually, when it comes to choosing an expensive gaff, I personally want the most bang for my buck - soft coins [especially remilled soft coins] seem to simply have more options for me...
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

It was sugessted in the DVD Smile
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Ooops my bad..... it wasn't mention in the dvd
Sorry
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

I have remilled coins and I find them more limiting really. like I have 4 plus [. and now I need 5 and 6 plus [, so now I'm a bit annoyed that I can;t just go buy more coins.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

And they don;t edge grip as well =D forgot to mention that
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Joshua,

How do you find the remilled coins impede your edge grip?
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

I have dry hands, and the new milling is to flat and they basically act like a smooth edge coin and they slip more often then a "regular" coin. normally they don;t slip down, they slip to the right more. its not always a problem but it has caused me to fumble a few times when I have not had this problem with coin with original milling
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Joshua. If you get yourself some 1800's Morgan Silver Dollars that are soft you will see why the remilling helps. One circulated and uncirculated newer 1921 coins the original milling is excellent but with older soft coins the milling is pretty much non-existant on most of them. I think I know what you are talking about with the flat milling on remilled coins. I think Schoolcraft mills them like that. Try the other guy is you don't like Schoolcraft. I'm sure Lassen remills them very closely to original milling on coins.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-05 10:18, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Why are folks going for soft coins for this trick?

Actually I just picked up on the tangent about the aged coins LOL
By the way here are the photos of my experiment, I am pleased with the results. These were all bright shiny clean silver to start with:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/......hed1.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/......hed2.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/......ail1.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/......ail2.jpg
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Those do look nice......
I like them... look aged and old Smile
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2007-01-05 12:03, andrelimantara wrote:
Ooops my bad..... it wasn't mention in the dvd
Sorry

No it was not mentioned on the DVD but when you order the DVD it tells you a few suggestions on what to use. It says that you Should Start with halves oppose to Dollars also to use Soft coins because of the Noise issue. I read it once so I might be wrong but hey what ever.

DStachowiak!!!! Those are Gorgeous!!!! Im Scared to try that though. WOW I love them.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Paisa, it actually seems to be a pretty gentle process. I suggest working with a window open, just because it IS chlorine bleach, and I don't know if this procedure produces chlorine gas or not, but I wasn't taking any chances. As soon as the coins got dark enough to suit me, I fished them out of the soup and dumped the bleach down the drain, and rinsed the coins under running water to stop the process. Keep an eye on them, they turn fairly fast. I don't think I would use it on expensive gaffs yet, I want to experiment more with regular silver coins to be sure I can fine-tune the process.

IMPORTANT POINT- Wash the coins with detergent and hot water to make sure they are absolutely clean, I didn't do this with the Franklins, and there is some unevenness to the tarnish, I suspect the coin was oily or greasy.

You could probably get more contrast if you clean the "light" parts with commercial silver polish, but using ashes is more controllable (and more work!)
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I like your coins, DStachowiak! I personally prefer the highlights on mine to look a little brighter, but yours definitely look aged! Good work!

MK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Schoolcraft Coin Set for Coin One? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL