The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » An invoice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Got a gig lined up for this Friday, and they've told me to give them an invoice and they'll write a cheque for me.
But I've never written an invoice before, so can anyone offer some help as to what to put in it?

Thanks!
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Depending on your choice of software, Microsoft Excel and Word and Wordperfect all come with Invoice templates that you can modify and print out. It's really little more than a bill showing your services, mailing address, payment terms and fees. Do a Google search for "invoice template" and you should find what you're looking for.

If that fails, drop me an email and I'll send you a PDF sample of mine.

Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Thanks for your help, I've found a decent template, although it looks similar to what my plumber would give me when he fixes something, which seems strange that it looks the same for a magician. Is this right?

Also, about mailing address, since I work with another magician i.e. there are two of us, is it okay to leave the mailing address out and just include our e-mail & phone number?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Niko, I don't see an issue there if the company is going to pay you on the spot. However, most of the companies that I deal with send a check after the event. If they don't know where to send the check, that could be an issue. Another issue: Some companies may require a business address for tax purposes. Most companies require an invoice to justify and document the expense for bookkeeping and tax purposes.

Another thought is to include a line somewhere prominent on the invoice that reads "Please make checks payable to..." You'd be surprised some of the the PAY TO lines that have been placed on my paychecks...which can make it difficult to deposit those puppies.

The plumber's invoice is probably a fair comparison. It's a service invoice listing the cost of labor...or service provided. Service Provided, Hours, Fee per Hour, Total Fee are the more common columns here in the Colonies. I'm sure others have different ideas...I'm fairly old fashioned and simple in that regard.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Okay, thanks very much that's very helpful!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If there are give aways, torn and/or signed cards, paper streamers, or anything other losses like these in your repertoire, then you might consider adding "Material Costs" if you haven't already included these costs in your going rate.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Don't forget what Skip wrote about tax !!
They will declare the money they pay you.
Some places I work have had to have a letter from the tax office stating that I am self-employed !!
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Eddie, please tell me more about that! Does that mean I'll have to pay tax on this money earnt? And how will I know what to do - will they send me a letter or anything?
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
If the goverment has a record of you making earnings your best to pay taxes on it. Don't know how your taxes work in England but I'm sure you can take it to and accontant and get it done fairly cheap.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Niko,
Here in CT - US, if a company pays you less than 600$ (for the year...i.e. This is a show for a company's yearly event and your bill to them will be less than 600$ then you wouldn't have any worries of not reporting it. But that's here.

I am beginning the process of starting a company...legally, for one time shows (not regular restaurant work) I am not paying anything out in taxes, and it won't be reported. Once I get the company up and running through the system, it'll all route through it. Until then...yay cash.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
Niko when you give them an invoice the inland revenue will be in contact with you shortly aftreward to ask about the tax payable on that booking and to enquire when they are getting their tax on you previous bookings.

They will probbaly ask to see your banking and account records from your office. Your website shows you and your friend as being working magicians and you will probbaly be asked to find approximately 1/3 of your profit for as long as you have been performing. If you don't have all the required paperwork, recipts and invoices they will decide themselves on a figure they themselves think is a rough approxiamtion and this will be much more than you are liable for.

This is the way it works in the UK.
Paul Wingham
View Profile
Veteran user
Rustington, South Coast, UK
365 Posts

Profile of Paul Wingham
Baggins is right, although it's not guaranteed that the inland revenue will come knocking it certainly is likely at some point.

I think technically if you work self employed you need some code from I.R. which is easy to get - call I/R. I'm no expert however I imagine that last year you spent a lot of money on tricks and effects, not to mention the suit you wore to the gig and travelling costs.....wink wink nudge nudge. These and other expenses can be offset against your tax bill, which means in reality if you are not a regular performer you'l probably not need to pay tax however in the eyes of the taxman your guilty until you prove your inocense so be careful. the self assesment website is fairly self explanitory. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/

best of luck
wonder pefomance
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of wonder pefomance
You can avoid tax by only working for cash. This is not 100% guaranteed though so be careful. They even got Al Capone in the end.
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
Considering the problems that can arise if your not careful about tracking your records I'm suprised there is no sticky on the site to disscuss taxes in different parts of the world. I know in Canadayou have to keep records for 6 years after the filing date. I've seen a few performers get nailed with hefty tax bills dating back 6 years. Pile on the penalties and intrest it can really ruin a career.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
As far as taxes, you need to fill out a schedule C at tax time.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
You are wrong because we live in Engandn. I myself am not from england orignally but I make it my home now.

many magicians in the UK work without being registered as self employed and in the last 3 weeks have been caught out. They are currently running an extensive investigation into tax irreguality for the corporate entertainers arena. The inland revenue is offering immunity to punishment if you shop somebody else. They are trying to stamp out this crime.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Mottos to live by:

Don't mess with the IRS!

and

Don't try to screw Inland Revenue!

Play it square, pay your dues and you won't be the recipient of the taxman's screws!

Skip Smile

JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
Just a side note for any of you that may be worried about back taxes. Go see a tax lawyer and not an accountant. Had a friend learn that the hard way. An accountant at least in the states and canada has to report you if you owe taxes. A laywer has attourney client privledge and can go to the goverment and negotiate for you as an anonymous person. Generaly when your willing to pay your original bill before they come to find you they will waive the penalties sometimes even some of the intrest. But if you send an accountant they already have your name and your screwed.
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Michael T
If you haven't been paying tax then your website has enough info to get you sent down for years. Two pretty boys like you would be made very welcome in prison.
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Baggins thanks for the info - does this still apply to us even though we only work occasionally and have other full time jobs?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » An invoice (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL