The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » You can see his lips move (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
You can do a distant voice Oliver and Albert Saveen did. He worked his figures, had boy and girl figures in the smae case and just stood there whilst they had a distance conversation. And did the old closing and opening of the lid. Classic act.

His finish was two dogs, one a puppet and one alive. Brought the house down.

It was a theatre act and if you watched carefully you could see his lips move. Not easy part way back in a theatre. Closer to the stage you could see.

When he was old it became more noticable. But by then he was on television.

But - and this is the whole point- Albert was so good an entertainer it didn't matter because nobody noticed. They were all far too busy either laughing or listening in total silence at the tearjerker points.

As a vent Albert Saveen was very good when he was younger and good when he was an old man.

As an entertainer he was brilliant to the end.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Entertainment and theatre are important elements in any vent routine.

Below are from my list of feedback from consumers.

"You're better than Edgar Bergen who moved his lips - you don't."(What a lot of people remember from his later work..I love his example of a memorable character(s). Some programs my lip work is better than others

"I have done the straight jacket escape myself a number of times, but I swear
you made me sweat with your realistic presentation."

"Your connecting with various individuals and names was impressive."(The later is something I picked up from magician Doc Eason who does a large number pick a card and finds the cards while remembering 20 + names.)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I suppose there are worse things than your lips moving. There was a very good vent over here fifty years ago. Bobby Kimber with Augustus Peabody.

Miss Kimber was a rarety - a female vent, middle aged - she'd been in the business thirty years and always looked middle aged - but what an act. Her lips didn't move either not even when she finished on Popeye the Sailor Man. She was good on television too.

Unfortunately in close-up her Adam's Apple did move! The game was up. After that Ronald Victor Robert Kimberley's act vanished without trace. Shame.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
The other thing I have noticed is my tongue moving in close ups. I have been playing with a camera and IMAX DVD editing machine. Still don't know how to hook the DVD's up to the net. I don't have a computer at home and ones I have access to that are hooked up to the net don't play dvd movies.

I am making them for promotional work to give to potential consumers.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Many vents practice their lip control with great concentration in a quiet environment. On stage everything gets ramped up - as it should. The need to fill a room and the sound of an audience can render that "home lip control" ineffective because now you are speaking louder in your own voice and can't produce that same sound level ventriloquially without much deeper breathing and diaphram control. That's one way that lip control goes out the window during an actual performance.

I love the comments about doing vent without a puppet. That make a great point!

Here's a clip in front of a fairly large and animated audience.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AE1YIihDxbM
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Steve, I love your video!
Ony Carcamo, PHILIPPINES
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Steve - thanks for the P.M. I absolutely love your video - what a fantastic show. I rated it 5 stars!
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Oh yes I like that.

That is good.
Thanks.

What was it. School? 7 - 11 years? How big the audience? And was it just one school or a mix?

Kimmo - now that's how to use a stage!! Don't you agree?
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Thanks guys!
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 18:16, Tony James wrote:

What was it. School? 7 - 11 years? How big the audience? And was it just one school or a mix?

Yes it was a school. Kids were 8 - 11 years. Audience was about 325 which was half of that school. I did a second performace for the other half that day.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
That's not a big school - that's massive. For that age group, here I would expect the entire school not to exceed 120 -140 and that's tops.

We get bigger schools for 12-16 bracket. Even there, nowhere near those sort of numbers.

Do you know, I've had a thread running in the kid's section on stages and school sizes of audience. No one has proveded this kind of information. Thank you.

Now I know why stages figure so much in connection wuth children.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Here's a clip of a few of my school shows. One of the schools shown was really big! I guess about 500-600 kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRRWNfuna48

Thanks in advance for viewing!

Ony Carcamo, PHILIPPINES
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Terrific job Ony!

I can see by their faces how well you manage to entertain such a large group.

One reason I stopped doing Birthday parties almost immediately after I began is that I found myself nearly disfunctional with very small groups.

How long is your typical school show and how many schools do you perform for in the course of a year?
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
My typical educational kidshow vent in schools is around 45 minutes. I talk about many different character-building concepts that are, of course, geared towards kids.

I do more or less 100 schools a year.

School shows are a great experience!!! But I also enjoy those intimate, private kiddie parties once in a while.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-01-16 16:48, Steve Petra wrote:
Many vents practice their lip control with great concentration in a quiet environment. On stage everything gets ramped up - as it should. The need to fill a room and the sound of an audience can render that "home lip control" ineffective because now you are speaking louder in your own voice and can't produce that same sound level ventriloquially without much deeper breathing and diaphram control. That's one way that lip control goes out the window during an actual performance.

I love the comments about doing vent without a puppet. That make a great point!

Here's a clip in front of a fairly large and animated audience.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AE1YIihDxbM

Thanks for the video Steve. I really enjoy your creative ideas.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-01-06 23:08, cardone wrote:
Why would you want your lips to move ? Practice....and they won't .... Its like a magician flashing..if they move the magic is gone... the act might still be funny but the real magic is gone ... Are you a puppeter or a ventriloquist ... some vents use puppets .. Half of my vent routines are puppetless ..If my mouth moved even a little bit the illusion would be ruined and the act pointless...

I have seen professional vents move their lips. Jeff Dunham is one of them. But he is great with comedy. I think the comedy is where the secret really is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » You can see his lips move (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL