The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Repairing a PK ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
So... it happened... I broke my Black's Magic PK ring... :S

It's not too much. Just a chunk, about the size of 1/5 of the ring. Is there a way to solder it back ? glue it even? Or do I have to buy a new one absolutely?

I mean, if it's not perfect looking, I can always wear that spot under my finger and nobody will notice...
Any ideas? thanks...
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'd suggest taking it to your local jeweler and having them repair it. It should not cost very much and it will be as good as new.

Mark. Smile
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I would be careful applying heat to it. I tried soldering a mag... and it lost it's power.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Some glues will harm a magnet as well. Gorilla and the like.
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
You're sure a jeweler will know what to do to a mag ring? :S
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1965 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Louis, send James Clark (he goes by jclark on the Café) a PM. He visits the Café quite regularly, he will most likely see this post and respond to you anyway. When it comes to customer satisfaction regarding his Black's PK rings, he's top notch.
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
He suggested crazy glue. I'll give it a try.... *crosses fingers*
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Let me know how it goes. When my ring inevitably breaks, I want some assurance I can fix it.
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
So, the good news is that Crazy Glue works. The fragment is now back in place and holds "I think" pretty firmly.

The bad news is that when it breaks, the polarity of the fragment changes. So the only way to replace both ends in their matching spot on the ring is by figthing a finger twitching battle with laws of physics and magnetism... and with the crazy glue in the melee, I decided to go the easy way. I was lucky that both ends were pretty much the same so they fitted well on the other side. Also, now there is 2 cracks on my ring. I'll simply wear it so the finger hides the cracks.

If other problems arise, I'll let you know
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
It's easy to get a chip on the ring as it happened to me when I forgot that I was wearing a PK ring and banged my hand against a hard surface. Luckily I was able to fix it using crazy glue like the folks suggested in this thread! Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Louis.P.M
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Louis.P.M
As I was practicing something, I hit my ring instead of my palm with a heavy glass. Luckily it's hard to lose a piece as it stuck right back to the rest of the ring Smile
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
Louis, as I mentioned; that would work for a quick fix, but I am still happy to replace it mate; just let me know. Not a big deal. Smile
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Just as a physics note... the polarity does NOT change when a magnet splits longitudinally. It stays the same, and that's the problem. When you try to glue it back, the North pole end of the piece is smack up against the North pole end of the ring; likewise with the South pole ends. Since like poles repel, you have a heck of a fight on your hands trying to get them back together.

If a magnet splits across instead of lengthwise along the lines of force, your job is easier. One side of the break is South and the other is North, so the broken pieces naturally attract.

Thank you, Dr. Science. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3306 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Now that is great service! I will purchase a Blacks PK Ring now just because I respect customer service like that!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Repairing a PK ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL