The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Best forces with Jumbo deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ladirector
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of ladirector
Perhaps it's the size of your hands. Maybe this isn't for you. Years ago I knew a guy who was able to do a convincing classic force with a jumbo deck, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't hold the break and spread the cards due to the size of my hands.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for your post, ladirector. I am looking to force three cards for use with an old Albenice Rising Card Houlette (like the Hathaway method). I have something now that will work, but I'm never opposed to looking further!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Daniel: Plan B - Try it with half a deck of cards. If it works, you can always have the spectator cut the deck about in half. Have him (or her) point to one of the halves. Use magician's choice to pick up the bottom half and do the Hindu shuffle with that. If it still is too much for your hands, on to....

Plan C: Try some half-size jumbos. I have found decks in the Dollar Store that are smaller than standard jumbos... about a half size smaller. If you can't find them, on to....

Plan D: Use a regular sized deck with jumbo indexes.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
The cut deeper force is very easy and effective, as is Gary Ouellet's Touch Force, from Close Up Illusions.

Under the spread force with bottom card is also very easy and would work well for the force of multiple cards.

The clock force and the "nine" force are very easy, too (no "handling" at all), though somewhat contrived and time consuming.

A Tenkai Turnover could easily be used as a force.

With a bit of practice, a slip force is quite do-able.

I have used the classic force many times with a jumbo deck.

Here's another very easy and effective force: Force card is at face of deck Draw off the top and bottom cards together (it's OK if a few more cards come along for the ride) and replace at bottom. Repeat until spectator says stop, and then show the face card.

Another good one for multipe force cards: Put them at the face of the deck. Bevel the side of the deck widely, top card furthest to right. Underneath the deck, slide the face card to the right such that it is almost even with uppermost card. Riffle down side of deck til spec says stop. Pull out cards below break, slipped card coalescing at face of right-hand packet, show as selection and replace this packet on top of left packet. Repeat with other force cards.

Etc, etc, etc...
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jonathan Smith
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Smith
A short card can be used as a key above the to be forced card(s) for a two handed riffle force.
Mike Carroll
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Mike Carroll
The good old cross cut force does it for me, followed by a bit of my trademark witty reparte. They don't notice a thing, except the pull dangling from my sleeve.
RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
252 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
I use the above. Both of them requires some management.
Most practical: CROSS CUT
'Better' (requires some management): Any Timming Force (ribbon spread or fan)

The timming force gets better with cards face down (since they are jumbo cards it is easy to spot the smallest pencil dot in the forced card).
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
As long as this thread is still going strong, I should mention that a nice range force is included with Jim Gerrish's "Brainpower" effect in The Wizards' Journal #12. It looks so natural and innocent that few would even suspect that the card has been forced. A range force, for those who have not read "Forcing" from The Wizards' Journal #8, where further examples are given, is a force of more than one choice at a time... a range of choices. The "Brainpower" force can easily be performed with a jumbo deck.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Force Deck, or rough cards with every other card as force if you want to cleanly show the faces.
G.
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of G.
A cut deeper force is very effective and deceptive, for the jumbo ungimmicked deck.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I just released my version of U.F. Grant's Space Thought... an oddly named method of forcing a single card from a jumbo (or ultra jumbo) deck or pack of cards. A photo can be seen on my site in The Wizards' Journal #18, but neither the photo nor the name tells you precisely how clever a force this is for either a single card or for a range of cards. The spectator seems to have a completely free choice (or choices). The chosen card is isolated in a see-though houlette that is little more than a frame. The prediction has been made well in advance and written on a whiteboard (or slate if you prefer). It doesn't SEEM to be a force and yet...
Professor Spellbinder

DustinF
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DustinF
I would use a cross cut force. This force also has the advantage that you don't have to touch the cards when you do it.
magicbenyoung
View Profile
New user
Maryville, Tennessee
36 Posts

Profile of magicbenyoung
I'd go with the Cut Deeper force. Seems very random and fair.
steez
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of steez
Riffle force
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of msmaster
Steez, exactly what is your handling and exactly how large of hands do you need to do a traditional riffle force with a jumbo deck?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5718 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-01-20 22:47, Spellbinder wrote:
One way to bring the jumbo deck down to size is to start with the three force cards on the top of the deck, give it a false shuffle and/or cut and hand the deck to a spectator. Ask the spectator to think of a number between ten and twenty and to deal off that number of cards face-down into your hand. Now you have a smaller pack of cards to work with the the spectator has conveniently placed the three force cards on the bottom of the pack for you. There's more than one way to skin a Hofzinser.

I'd then tell the spectator to deal the cards into three piles. The force cards are then right where you want them.
Steven Choi
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Steven Choi
So I saw some prfessionals suggested Jumbo Pop-Eyed Popper Deck, can I choose the forced card or it is fixed by manufacturer? since I am going to order one:)

thanks

Steven
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1678 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 02:08, DustinF wrote:
I would use a cross cut force. This force also has the advantage that you don't have to touch the cards when you do it.

I agree with above-as a Professional performer in over 100 theatre shows a year
I can vouch for the simplicity of this method,gimickless..-albeit a bit of timed misdirection while talking!!

Brent
JeremyTan
View Profile
New user
has magically produced
70 Posts

Profile of JeremyTan
I guess it all boils down to presentation. Audiences themselves know for a fact know that jumbo cards are hard to handle.. Keep it simple.. Under the spread force is pretty decent if you ask me.. =)
Magically Yours,
Jeremy Tan

Singapore's Finest Illusionist
www.JeremyTan.com

(Please note that I will be using this account from now on. Please revert all PMs to this account. Thank You!)
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I am working on the Creature Shock illusion, and have a jumbo deck of cards with animal names. I will need to end up forcing TWO or maybe THREE of the cards at different times.

So far the best thing I have come up with is a glide force each time... or should I try a different force each time. The fact that I have to do this three times seems to rule out classic force, cross cut, hindo, cut deeper, etc.

Any ideas?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Big and the Small » » Best forces with Jumbo deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL