The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic books & Videos for beginners (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Masterallen
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Masterallen
I do recommend that you do start with a beginners book. Unlike myself I purchased and intermediate/ Advance book and didn’t understand how it was wrote and couldn’t follow it. It wasn’t until I read a beginners book that I understood how to follow a how these books are written. I went back to the advance book and now can understand. And follow.
Olly Poncho
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Olly Poncho
Hello everybody. I thought I'd drop in with a set that I am finding fantastic. The Essential Card Magic Toolbox (mostly) by Liam Montier.

I've found his teaching style to be clear, and he spends a lot of time discussing why certain moves can be deceptive and giving what seems like really good advice. I'd recommend his series to anybody.

https://bigblindmedia.com/products/essen......-montier
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
Tarbell is a great set for beginner and/or experienced magician.
diamondjack
View Profile
New user
orlando,fl
59 Posts

Profile of diamondjack
My first magic book was Darwin Ortizs' At the Card Table. I know, bad choice for a first book, but I stuck with it and I was hooked. I didn't get discouraged, I found something to aspire to. Of course I ended up going back and buying much simpler books but I never rewgretted buying Darwins' book first.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
This topic has been of interest to me for a while, especially because I'm involved in introducing young people to card magic. So I decided to write an article about it, covering some of the top resources (both books and videos) that I'd recommend for newcomers to card magic. Here's a link to the article:

RECOMMENDED RESOURCES FOR BEGINNERS IN CARD MAGIC
https://playingcarddecks.com/blogs/all-i......rd-magic

Gwydeon
View Profile
New user
Germany
6 Posts

Profile of Gwydeon
Is there a significant difference between "The Original Tarbell Lessons in Magic" (MARTINO FINE BOOKS, 1200pages e.g. amazon for ) and the series of publications with the single lessons?
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
For a beginner, one of the best books on card magic is Roberto Giobbi's Introduction to Card Magic. It's certainly the best value book you can get right now, since Mr Giobbi is generously making it available free for a limited time, to promote the art of card magic, and to help those who genuinely want learn the basics properly. The content is terrific!

He originally created it as a course for people learning card magic, and it teaches all the fundamentals of card handling, along with links to youtube videos showing the moves, and half a dozen tricks. See a detailed review on The Magic Café here, or else just download it from his website here:

https://www.robertogiobbi.com/site/produ......rd-magic

mentaldiego
View Profile
New user
Spain
60 Posts

Profile of mentaldiego
Tarbell

it has everything
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Tarbell is a mine of information, especially for those seeking to expand their background knowledge of magic, for that reason it is highly recommended. Where it falls down though is in actual tricks, if you buy a set of linking rings or multiplying billiard balls etc and then consult Tarbell for suitable routines you are going to find yourself very disappointed; it simply doesn't match up to modern requirements. I remember deciding I needed to find some decent impromptu card effects I could do with a borrowed deck and I went through the whole of Tarbell without finding a single trick that I felt was strong enough to be worth doing - not one!

Someone above asked about the difference between the Tarbell lessons and the Tarbell course in book form. If you have all 8 Volumes of Tarbell then you're going to have far more material that that available in the Lessons, and the order of the that things appear in is different too; but the Lessons is still a valuable book and you could call it 'Tarbell Lite', good for those who don't really feel the need to go through 8 volumes.

Does Tarbell really contain everything as is often claimed? Well of course it doesn't, nowhere near in fact, but no book on magic no matter how big it is could contain everything. If the world of magic could be condensed into a mere series of books, even a very large series, then it would never have survived the hundreds and possibly thousands of years that it has been happily going for.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
I would recommend the fine art of magic by kaplan
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1178 Posts

Profile of Chris
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2019, weirdwizardx wrote:
I would recommend the fine art of magic by kaplan

Now available in an expanded 2nd edition both as PDF and hardcover: https://www.lybrary.com/the-fine-art-of-......399.html
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Anything by Giobbi would be an excellent place to start, especially Card College and the DVD sets that you can now get to accompany the books. This will give you a fantastic foundation...
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2019, EndersGame wrote:
For a beginner, one of the best books on card magic is Roberto Giobbi's Introduction to Card Magic. It's certainly the best value book you can get right now, since Mr Giobbi is generously making it available free for a limited time, to promote the art of card magic, and to help those who genuinely want learn the basics properly. The content is terrific!

He originally created it as a course for people learning card magic, and it teaches all the fundamentals of card handling, along with links to youtube videos showing the moves, and half a dozen tricks. See a detailed review on The Magic Café here, or else just download it from his website here:

Just checked up on this link. Although this ebook is still available on Giobbi's site, it is no longer free...

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2020, magic.99 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2019, EndersGame wrote:

Just checked up on this link. Although this ebook is still available on Giobbi's site, it is no longer free...

You're right. It was only available for free for a relatively short time, as a promotion after Giobbi updated and revised it in 2019.

The earlier version (2012) of this e-book originally sold for €9.95. But in order to promote the art of card magic and to help budding magicians, Giobbi has made the updated and improved 2019 version available at a reduced price of just €6.95. So there is only a minimal cost to download it, and I think most beginners will find that it is well worth it.
MSaber
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of MSaber
I found these videos to be a good resource for me when I began learning: https://www.youtube.com/user/DecksAndContests/featured

Thought I'd share for everyone else.
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Videos: Any Ammar tape that is dvd now. Paul Harris's Stars of Magic Videos and Art of Astonishment...True Astonishments is best left to more advanced folk. Daryl's tapes that are dvd now. Jay Sankey's original material. Tommy Wonder, J.C. Wagner are a few great teachers. L&L has a great run of tapes that are DVD. I keep saying tape because this is late 70's early 80's/90's stuff. Bill Malone, Dean Dill, Gregory Wilson, Bruce Cervon, Max Maven etc. These guys were the young punks at the Magic Castle. For books: go with the same guys. This material is easy to find in dvd and book form. A lot of the old master's stuff is hard to find or is reprinted poorly. The old guard Vernon, Marlo, Jennngs, Miller etc. have good stuff but the material can be a bit dated and hard to read. Harry Lorayne is from the old guard and still publishes material and is willing to help you with it. Once you've gotten a grip on the basics then move on to the old masters. Only start with one thing at a time. Take your time and enjoy. The benefit of material from a lot of the folks mentioned is they have been there and done that. If they are still with us they are the best source of info and most of them will talk to you.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Ammar, Daryl and Tarbell
AntwanTowner
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of AntwanTowner
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2003, Terry wrote:
As being new to magic, I own most of the material you mention above, and some advanced stuff.
I am very happy with my humble library, and am attempting to master the basics.
I think they will provide a lifetime of learning.

Thanks for the thread.

Terry

It is always great to learn fun new stuff. I have been studying for over 20 years. I'm not sure if I can share a link, but it might be worth taking a look. https://www.antwantowner.com/shop
Andrew Aspen
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Andrew Aspen
I read Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz early on. I got into magic in my 40s so starting with theory wile learning really easy self working and gimmicked card tricks has helped me tremendously. It helped me understand that it’s not about technical skill alone. It’s also important to keep working on technical skill. There are tons of books with tricks and techniques but Strong Magic has helped me think about all the things that go beyond skill like character and atmosphere.
jsereb
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of jsereb
For elementary school aged children I suggest what was my first magic book (and a source of material for my first magic show): The Golden Book of Magic by Clayton. Rawson...you can find used copies on the internet. Another one that I enjoyed in my pre-teens was Hokus Pokus by Ib Perman. Both of these books have a wealth of good material even though geared for younger magicians.

For someone older a good start for general magic is Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic. This should give someone a very good start and a way to see where your interest lie (i.e. close-up vs stage magic vs mentalism, etc.).

DVDs (or even VHS) were not around when I started out so I don't have a good sense of videos for beginners.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic books & Videos for beginners (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL