The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Savannah-River Street (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

swingjunkie
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of swingjunkie
Anyone performed on River Street in Savannah, or anyone live in Savannah that busks regularly? I am planning on trying to work River Street over the summer, unless someone else works it that has a major problem with it or would be offended by me "moving in". If anyone has, or does, work there and would like to offer tips on where to go, when to go, or anything specific to the area, I would be appreciative. Thanks.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I've been there on vacation a few times and have yet to see anything but a couple of guitar players. St. Patrick's Day is AWESOME there.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I have performed there, and it's a tough pitch because you can't really get close to the street...you can't perform on the sidewalk...it's tough and a slow build. I did well there, but it's tough for magic...much easier if you are a juggler or an act that's really visible.
swingjunkie
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of swingjunkie
Know any easier pitches in GA then, Koz?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
No. How about Charleston? I hear it's good for a sidewalk show(?). I'm not saying don't go to Savannah. I'm just telling you that if you aren't strong, you won't do well there...tough pitch.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Savannah, I been there. Koz is preachin' the gospel on this,
and it's hot as Hades in the summer there.......pretty town, though.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
I am not too far from Charleston; I think I will give it a try this spring. Does anyone know the name of the streets were you can perform, or any special permitting needed?

Thanks,

Tony
...the magic that creates Memories!
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
Riverstreet is tough, good for a circle show. It even takes Gazzo a while to build up a good size crowd. There is also sometimes a bird act, which does well, and jugglers. Permits are required (last time I checked) to work river st. here is my tip, walk up a few blocks to City Market. It's a pedistrian mall type of area. good for sidewalk type shows. it's also private property so the cop can't really mess with you. don't bother anyone and you're set. there is a tour company that drops off there every so often so if you can time it right you can draw from them. it is hot down there. there is one store that has an awning that use to set up under and yell "free shade" hehe. it's also a good spot when those afternoon showers come in. Hope it helps,

Nolan
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Sounds like it might be worth a trip to Savannah this summer.

Thanks,

Tony
...the magic that creates Memories!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-01-05 23:35, tedb wrote:
I have performed there, and it's a tough pitch because you can't really get close to the street...you can't perform on the sidewalk...it's tough and a slow build. I did well there, but it's tough for magic...much easier if you are a juggler or an act that's really visible.

Where are you supposed to perform?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
The famous (and beautiful) Riverwalk. Where the riverboats dock. Anybody local can direct you there. There are several possible pitches depending on show size and type, and the largest pitch is exactly in front of the covered gazebo.

12 years ago when I started busking I was living in Atlanta and working the Underground. I used to take weekend trips to Savannah for a little diversity. I know the whole area very well.

The Savannah Riverwalk is NOT an easy pitch. Don't go there expecting fast build-ups, easy crowds or easy cash and you'll probably do ok.

Anyone wanting to visit Savannah should also check out Tybee Island. There's a very nice fishing pier now that acts as a focal point on the beach. Lots of evening strollers, and a large covered area for shade in case you want to try daytime shows.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
And for a great meal, George's on Tybee Island. Thursday nights are "Tapas" nights. It was too cold last week when I was on Riverstreet and there was just one guy playing a banjo to himself.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
http://squam.boaters.home.att.net/travel......walk.htm

Very pretty. Except for the big riverboat in the background, it reminded me a lot of a park by the East River in NYC.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Howdy, y'all! Don't mistake that for a southern accent. I'm a Chicagoan who lived in Savannah for about five months while going to school there. I'm home now because I will be transferring to a different school, but Savannah was a very pretty town (I missed St. Patty's Day by just 2 days). I often imagined myself performing on River Street. It seemed like it would be such an interesting place to do an act. Mind you, I have no experience in busking although I'd like to start.

I wish I knew there were some magicians in Savannah, but it looks like I'm a little late. Would have liked to see someone perform out there. Oh well! Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Savannah-River Street (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL