The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promoting yourself on MYSPACE (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
This may sound harsh, but if someone needs to read a book about how to promote themselves on myspace, then I'm sorry, you're missing the point. The point of myspace is to provide users with a USER-FRIENDLY social networking page where they can share information about themselves and connect with friends. If you can't figure out a system that was designed to be easy as pie to figure out, maybe you have some other things to learn before hopping on myspace and doing what some book told you to do.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I'm a busy guy (Doing more things to grow my success instead of muddling my way though MYSpace) and I LOVE to learn at he expense and experience of others... (Saves and makes me time and money) I apparently ain't as smart as you, (Which is all 'relative' anyway) cuz I needed HELP to modify my 'MySpace' site to what it is now, which STILL ain’t all that grand YET!

I guess some are just smarter than others, and visa versa.

Thanks for you share... I just learned something else.

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
OK, I see the point. I am glad it landed you gigs. My only concern was I need to carefully divide my time because I have so little of it. From the out side looking in I could not see much value. But in keeping in touch I can see where it would be useful
Thanks Dean.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Certainly THAT is what it is 'intended' for, but a car is typically "intended" to get you from Point A to Point B, but when it can do MORE for you, that is OK too eh'?

Again, I am NO expert! Bill, as you already know I am more of a “techno-boob” and unlike others who this sort of stuff come more naturally to, I am ALWAYS willing to learn SOMETHING, cuz I know I don't know it all by a long shot!

As Tony Says:
CANI (Constant And Never-ending Improvement)

Some may believe they have already 'arrived' and have nothing to learn, THAT is not me by a long shot! - Woo Hoo!

GROW-On my friend!

Deano (Still learning) in Reno
<><
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Dean,

Didn't mean to come across as a know it all (i'm very far from it). In fact, having a beginner's mind about everything is an important mantra I follow. To do some of the fancier stuff on myspace, sure -- I can understand how that's not something that's intuitive in the least.

There is another thread on the Café wherein we have discussed the value of myspace:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&131
If I were doing corporate and family shows, myspace would have much less value. As a college entertainer, social networking sites like myspace have been invaluable to me.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
None at all. just go to myspace.com and away you go.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I have gotten a lot of bookings through folks that found me on myspace, and because of myspace I can now claim to be a "national" act.
But my target demographic is what is on myspace. Bands, sideshows, art/music festivals and such. 50% of my gigs are opening for bands.
I sincerely doubt that I would ever book a kids show or something for a family off of myspace.
A very useful tool if you use it correctly.
Gwyd
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Gwyd,

Not to pee on your parade (I'd never do that to a myspace friend), but in the entertainment industry, the terminology "national act" is almost always reserved for acts that have television credit on a major nationwide network, nationwide street credit, and as a rule almost always start at $10,000. I may be wrong, and maybe you are commanding 6 figures as a starting price, but most magicians aren't something that can be called a "national act." In fact, there are probably only a handful.

Awesome that you've had success on myspace. And kudos on recognizing that it takes two myspace pages to promote your two different acts!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Michael,

YOUR MySpace Page is one of the best MySpace pages that I have seen as it is absolutely CONGRUENT with your over-all marketing and promotions mix.

Looks great and co-exists, and is well integrated WITH and through-out your site and the rest of your promotions... nicely done! My guess is that "IT" (Your MySpace Page) does what you intend for it to do... nice application of the tool!

Eventually, I will figure “it” out for me as well... the jury is still out in my case. (Yeah, even though I have secured some paid bookings from it…) BUT I NEED to make sure it’s not hurting me more than it is helping me as of yet!

Lots more to learn!

Deano
<><

MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Dean,

I appreciate your kind words. There are a lot of people on the Café that look up to you for your advice, so coming from you it means a lot. I took a look at yours as well - seems like you've got the idea down pretty well. I look at myspace as just another way for people to read about you. You've gotta let them gain their information about you the way that THEY know how. The traffic on my myspace is by far greater than the traffic on my web site. I don't have any detailed stats on my myspace, but I can tell from interaction alone -- and as you know, you can't convert to a sale without interaction!

As for myspace hurting you more than helping, what do you mean?
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Largely because of congruency of image for my target audience and my “personal branding”... (NOT to be confused with “Brand Marketing”… YUCK! – Another discussion sometime maybe! But I ain’t gunna “just Do It!”)

For instance YOU work the college market and this is a perfect “message to market match” with the MySpace predominate demographic.

YES, I have booked some shows and speaking work as a result of myspace, but as I said, FIRST, my page is clearly NOT YET "up to par" and as professional as it need to be for the corporate and marriage speaking market. My two core markets… though there are more.

Truth be told, THIS one MySpace page is still a grand experiment, BUT WHEN I figure out (With Help form other and reading... etc) I will launch a better "MySpace" page as well... Likely it will be a little more professional and less ‘any friend' driven (Remember, congruency of message) like the current one is. I know it’s ok to have more than one and like my other sites (over 20 of them!) one for EACH message and market!

Anyway... like I said, currently, it's NOT as professional as I would like for it to be just yet and it is important to have a unified front when marketing.

Did that help and answer your question Michael?

Deano
<><

MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Sure,

I was just curious if it was the bad press that myspace has gotten that was steering you in the other direction. I know (especially for children's entertainers) this can be a concern.

mk
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
231 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
A Myspace profile is another way to be found on the web.
My profile features the same image as my website, business card, headshot. Close to the top there is a brief bio with a link to my own website.

I haven't booked any shows off it yet but according to the 'Sitemeter' tracking of my website there have been a number of click throughs which is a start. Every time this happens, if I understand search engines, you move ahead slightly in their rankings. As your MySpace social network grows this will happen more often until you pop one.

I doubt a corporate type will be looking for you via MySpace. However, it could mean, thanks to MySpace, you show up more prominently on Google where they are looking.

My profile is quite basic and mostly just for fun but if it kicks out the odd gig then what the heck. You sure can't argue with the price.

Owen

http://www.myspace.com/owenanderson
Owen Anderson
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I totally understand what you were saying about the term National act Michael...
In the small bar/club scene, the term National Act is used a bit more loosely. Pretty much refers to anyone from out of state (It's the promoters definition, not mine. They call us national).
No offence at all! (And I will be more careful about how I throw the term around!)

Back to the topic...
The other major thing I have found on Myspace apart from straight booking, is finding other performers. A lot of the venues that I work with come to me to help find other entertainment for booking an evening. They have their magic/sideshow act...they want some other variety act to fill out the night. Thanks to the contacts I have made on myspace, I have been able to find jugglers, aerialists, comedians, bands...
Another plus is finding photographers and videographers. If you need photos or videos for promotional material, there is a good chance you will find one who will do really good work for free, just for the experience of doing some shooting outside of a studio. I have literally thousands of pictures on file from shows, and haven't even had to pay for the disks. The only real cost was getting them on the guest list to a show and a drink or two. We even got a full 6 hour photo shoot for literally nothing. Just a talented photographer who wanted to broaden his range of work.
Myspace is a tool, just like any other. It is all about how you use it.
Gwyd
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I love myspace for keeping up with fans and selling swag but not really for bookings. If anyone needs myspace voding hints email me.....

myspace.com/scott_xavier
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
Scott
Any direction on how to format site. Placing photos, personal information. Do you need to design page first than upload?
Thanks
Ken
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Really depends on what you want. Since myspace allows for html code usage, you can use the basic template and inject html into those segements under your profile to add pics, text, flash, etc.

The big key is who are you designing for?
What do you want this site to do for you?

Then find out what material you need. You can slam vids and pics on it, but that slows down the loading process. 1 video is more then enough. Remember to have a more videos link as well for extra vids. The key is to create a buzz and give them enough to come back. The blogs are a great feature to do this also.

There are some websites that offer free codes and back grounds to customize the myspace experience. You will either need to host pics and videos remotely or use a service like photobucket.

THEN: If you want a real professional version check out my myspace or david blaines. Both use something called an html layer that covers the profile below. These are a little harder and you can find people to design them for you, email me if you want one...

The benefit is EVERYTHING is customizable and configurable. You theoretically don't need a website any more.

It's a little over whelming at first, but just take it easy at first.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promoting yourself on MYSPACE (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL