The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks that don't need tables/ledges/etc (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
As magicians we love a good old table to put our predictions, packets of cards, or even close-up mats on. I am increasingly finding myself in situations where there is no opportunity to put anything down, so which effects would you suggest for someone in my situation?

Thank you in advance!

Smile
Bfrancabandera
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bfrancabandera
A good coins across routine, for instance 3/4 across. Or perhaps a well done sponge ball routine. IF you like cards you might want to think about "The haunted pack" The effect is great and you don't need a table.

Just my 2 cents
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
many effects you can have the spectators use their hands as an impromptu table...
lots of card tricks
sponge balls

all in your hands (with no spectator help)...
Pin Demonium
Loomis Micro Chop Cup
Crazyman's handcuffs
coins accross
#2 pencil
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I agree with Frank, if you utilize the spectators hands, many things can be done in strolling standup without a table.
Don't forget that you can tuck things into a breast pocket, like a single card, back out, that later turns out to be a selected card. You can also hold some things temporarilly under your arm... a wand particularly lends itself to this.
There are many paddle effects you can do in your hands, like the Sach Dice Routine and color changing knives.
A lot of rope magic can be done in the hands as well.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1646 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Off the top of my head, I would recommend the following:

Crazy Man's Handcuffs - this is usually my opener and is a great effect done totally in the hands. Follow it up with Crazy Man's with a Twist for a great, "Fry 'em" ending.

Gypsy Floss - This is a Gypsy Thread routine done with dental floss. Excellent trick and the dental floss gives you some obvious patter possibilities, a built in cutter/container and prewaxed thread all in one.

Packet Tricks - I do Color Monte, Capitulating Cards, Twisting the Aces and Daley's Last Trick. All can be done in the hands and Daley's Last Trick is especially strong as the magic happens in the spectators hands.

Pen Through Bill - Whatever version you use, they are all done in the hands. A strong trick.

Torn and Restored Card - I use Brent Braun's Torched and Restored, which is very good, but most any trick of this type is done in the hands.

Coin Tricks - I use Short Hop all the time. Strong, examinable and resets instantly. Others like a coins across, copper silver effects or penentration effects like Whisper can also be done in the hands.

Rope Tricks - Most rope tricks, come to think of it, are done mostly in the hands. My personal favorite is Three Ropes and a Baby, but any Professors Nightmare variant can usually be done standing.

Silk Tricks - A simple vanish and/or production using a T.T. is perfect when no table is present.

Sponge Balls - Can be done standing but I prefer to have some sort of table present. Most vanishes are "puts" and it is tough to motivate them when everything is in the hands. (As a side note, I wonder if Scott Guin's PB&J can be done standing? Scott?)

Loomis/Riser Micro Chop cup - Since Dennis was gracious enough to refrain from a bit of self promotion, I'll do it for him. I am currently working it up and it is a great, in the hands, chop cup routine. A routine designed specifically to be used without a table.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Here is an idea:

If the spectator has a breast pocket you can place the card box in his pocket while loading a coin. Then when you finish doing some card work move on to coins, but before you do take the box out of thier pocket and put the cards away. Do your coins across and have the last coin vanish. Then it reappears in their pocket. With enough time misdirection you have a KILLER routine. This is based on Eddie Joseph's work.

Corey B.
Jim Robinson
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of Jim Robinson
In Ortiz's new book there is an all in-the-hands Triumph that I really love.
Robinson.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.... He to who this emotion is a stranger ... is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1171 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
If I am strolling a cocktail reception with no tables, I do a coins across, a sponge ball routine, bill switch, and an ambitious card routine. Other effects such as the Pothole Trick, or Pindemonium don't require the use of a table.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Quote:
On 2003-01-07 20:14, robinson67 wrote:
In Ortiz's new book there is an all in-the-hands Triumph that I really love.

Guy Hollingworth has a Triumph which is very good, and doesn't need a table too. Check it out. I have been using it so often.

Michael Lam
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I read somewhere that you could quite safely use a spectators hand as a t able quite comfortably without any chance of them turning over the card - something about the psychology of actually giving them the role of the table. Has anyone else come across this idea or have I got it all wrong?

Smile
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
Sit on the floor, i have to resort to this sometimes, it does make your magic easier and when others sit you don't feel as silly
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
As long as your participant hasn't been eating ribs (or a child eating an ice cream sunday) which can be all over their hands, use their hands as a platform. If you have them place one open plam across the other (by using both hands) then you reduce the risk of them turning a card over to practically nil AND if you place the card in their hand and state "Now you are the keeper of the card. Please keep it face down until I ask you", they will unless they are "combative" with you.

If you hand something to someone to hold in their hand and you do not want them to open it prematurely, then once they have closed their hand, you gently turn it over so that if they were to open their hand in that position, the object would fall on the floor. This little bit of business pschologically prevents them from opening their hand as they would have to turn it back up first.

Paul Harris' "PDQ Coins Across" is a great example of a coin trick done in a participants hands. Scotch Soda, Penny to Dime, Haunted Key, various PK effects, metal bending, are just a few of the effects that come to mind that are more effective when done in a participants hands.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2003-01-10 14:54, Thoughtreader wrote:
. . . if you place the card in their hand and state "Now you are the keeper of the card. Please keep it face down until I ask you", they will unless they are "combative" with you.

I usually set the card on their palm, then have them hold it in place with their other index finger--so that I can't get to it and do something funny. Again, beaucoup de psychology.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Good idea S2000.
Jack Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh UK
130 Posts

Profile of Jack Bryce
Quote:
On 2003-01-09 05:40, phonic69 wrote:
I read somewhere that you could quite safely use a spectators hand as a t able quite comfortably without any chance of them turning over the card - something about the psychology of actually giving them the role of the table. Has anyone else come across this idea or have I got it all wrong?

Smile

No I believe your right, it is a psychological thing, and I find it’s the way you do it and what you say that counts here.

Its already been said that, in some situations you can ask the spectator to turn their hand down so that the object, card, coin or whatever will drop to the floor, which I use myself and is great in certain situations, but I feel this is more suited to coin or small object magic like rings etc, and is not suited to card magic like Dr Daly’s or other such tricks used in this the group-to-group situation, where the putting or laying down of a card or cards on the spectators hand is necessary.

If you are doing group-to-group magic at a bar for an audience with drinks its less likely that they will turn the card over if they have a drink in their other hand. Also the following works for me quite well, I ask the spectator to cup their hands together; you then place the card in the middle over the join between their hands! Smile
http://www.jackbrycemagic.co.uk

I never forget a face but in your case I will gladly make an exception...Groucho Marx
Mickey Cohen
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Mickey Cohen
I will only use a spectators hands if the magic is going to happen in their hands .In my opinion you degrade the spectator by reducing him to behave like a piece of furniture if all you want him to do is substitute his hands for the table you don't have . It also alienates him and actually makes him feel a little foolish standing there with a card or a coin on his hand because you have no other place to put it.If your going to work without a table you should be prepared and have the necessary effects especially the ones where the magic happens in the spectators hands thus supplying the correct motivation for placing things in their hands.Spongeballs and copper/silver transpositions are perfect examples of what to perform sans table.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
But in a sense, the magic couldn't happen unless the spectator held the coin or card etc so they are in fact aiding the magician - this makes them very important!

Does that make sense, its difficult to convey what I mean!

Smile
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
If you're performing for kids at the table, a great in the hands routine is a trrn napkin trick . Hand one to the child and have him/her do as you so by tearing up the napkin. In the meantime , you have a mouth coil palmed......you can figure out the rest
it's very visual and surprising to the audience. Also gets attenion from the other tables....you know where I'm going........
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
You can do some cool levetations. Check out the video "Who's Afraid Of Invisible Thread" he goes from table to table without an ITR.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I often tuck spongeballs behind my lapel, instead of putting them on a table.

As for items I perform close-up without a table:
Sponge Balls
Sponge Bunnies
Homing Card (Carlyle version, combined with "Card to Wallet")
Ring and String
Sun and Moon
Mismade Bill
My 3 Phase Card Routine (Like so much of my close-up, it is performed in the hands.)
Gregory Wilson's "IT" (with a reworked handling)
Mirror Reverse (Geez! I rework all of the handlings to work in the hands. I'm sure you see the pattern.)
I've added some mentalism routines, recently.
And I usually use the spectators' hands as tables. Sometimes things can be propped-up in the outside breast pocket. In Corinda's "Thirteen Steps to Mentalism" a small bulldog clip is safety pinned to the jacket for use with billets -- it could be used for other items.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tricks that don't need tables/ledges/etc (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL