The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Bulb for old light? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Hey guys, I recently got a bunch of used lighting and in it there were two of these pin spot lights.

The bulb socket is not the screw in type, it's smooth on the inside.

Any ideas of what type of bulb?

Sam Pearce
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Not sure, but could possibly be a "bayonet" type bulb. Would suggest that you look up a "Theatrical Lighting" supplier.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
Just by looking at the pictures.... looks like a BTL style base.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Sam,
That looks like a Strand Pattern 23 fixture.
If that's in fact what it is (it should say on the fixture), you would use a 500W T-17 or T-1 lamp.
Check with your local (or online) theatrical lamp supplier for this lamp. It's starting to get to be a VERY old fixture, and this lamp may not be as common as it once was.

The base is commonly called a "pre-focus" or "bayonet" base.
A BTL is a lamp style, not a base style, and it's far to tall to use in this fixture.
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Yes, it is a old Rank Strand theatre spot. I have changed successfully the socket so I could use more common bulbs (socket GY 9.5). Of course there are modern constructions that are brighter but I like these old theatre spots. They are also nice decoration when used in a display or maybe in front of your stage.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Great find Guy! Im getting mist eyed thinking of the times Ive almost tumbled from a ladder changing lamps like that. Light was far more challenging Back in the reostat days of dimming when a complex cue called for more lighting guys at the board.
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Bulb for old light? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL