The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic by Misdirections by Dariel Fitzkee: A beginner's review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lawrenceng
View Profile
New user
Calgary
84 Posts

Profile of lawrenceng
Hello all,
Got this book also due to the recommendations made by the many in this Café. Once again thank you for your reviews. Read through this tome after Showmanship by Magicians, with much enthusiasm for what Mr. Fitzkee has to say. Comparing Showmanship and Misdirection, I must say things are more explicitly stated and described in Showmanship, where Mr. Fitzkee even provides a checklist at the end of the book. Misdirection, on the other hand was a bit more vague. In this book, Mr. Fitzkee attempts to break down misdirection into its various components, again giving ample examples for each case, many which were referred in Showmanship. He does a brilliant job at this, but as I moved along through the book, realised that the different terms he used for different aspects of misdirection overlap at some point.Ie, a certain action by the magican can be categorised under two or more aspects of misdirection. Slightly confusing for me.
However seen from a different angle, this book has allowed me address weaknesses in effects and start asking myself what kind of misdirection (as categorised by Mr. Fitzkee) can I add to the routine to enhance it, working an effect so that true deception is reached.ie when the spectator has absolutely no clue on how the feat was accomplished (Mr. Fitzkee's definition of deception) As an exercise, I am putting card warp through the works.
I would definitely recommend this book for the beginner- who in the pursuit of more effects to his repertoire, might benefit even more by polishing the stuff he already has.
There's definitely more juice between the pages of this book which I have yet to squeeze, so, for the many who has treaded before me, any suggestions and tips on understanding this book better would be much appreciated.
thanks y'all
lawrenceng
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
He wrote a killer cut and restored rope book that is a classic. I have his cut and restored encyclopedia which is the updated version of the first.

Everything is broken down into components that you can put together any way you like.

Excellent magic author.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic by Misdirections by Dariel Fitzkee: A beginner's review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL