The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » FRIENDS DVD A AND 2 BY BRUNO COPIN, $160.00 PER DVD!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I saw on Hp site two new DVDs entitled, "Friends" Vol 1 and 2 by Bruno Copin. Each DVD is $160.00. Each DVD has 8-9 effects and comes with specailly made music. Vol 1 also comes with a special something (IT) and a close-up mat and vol 2 comes with a glove to be used in one of the effects and "special" (magnifying glasses?!)glasses to use when preparing the IT. I do not own these DVDs and I do not know Bruno Copin, but $160.00 per DVD, even with a close-up mat and some IT seems a bit hefty.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
If you think about it, not really. As it is, DVDs are pretty cheap now if you consider #of tricks per dvd; the value is really pretty good. consider packet tricks are running $20 a pop, separate effects running $50-160 dollars each.

s
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
The production quality of Bruno’s items is simply superb and truly sets a new standard in packaging, production, etc. Bruno is a consummate perfectionist as I have seen in the past with his beautiful magic and this is clearly reflected in his new products. And on top of that his magic is out of this world. For those of you who don’t know, Bruno Copin keeps a very low profile but has some beautiful thinking in close up magic… and in particular magic with thread. His magic truly looks like real magic. In my opinion, Bruno Copin is clearly one of the most innovative and creative magicians I have ever seen with invisible thread.

Tim
Heygeno
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Heygeno
Tim
Are these in stock anywhere yet?
Thanks
Gene
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
My only complaint is that the price is not $500 per DVD. Would had kept the curious ones out.
To believe is Magic.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Why not make it a $1000. Curious ones are out at $160.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2007-01-10 21:35, thehawk wrote:
Why not make it a $1000. Curious ones are out at $160.

Somehow $500 sounds like a better deal to me than $1000. don't you think so?
To believe is Magic.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Actually, I'm surprised all DVD's are not in the $150 range. Of course I wouldn't want to buy a stinker, but I would have gladly paid that for Larry Davidson's DVD's and would have thought I got a bargain.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2007-01-10 22:30, MagicChris wrote:
Actually, I'm surprised all DVD's are not in the $150 range. Of course I wouldn't want to buy a stinker, but I would have gladly paid that for Larry Davidson's DVD's and would have thought I got a bargain.

that's what I am talking about. I am going to start a petition to L&L, Ellusionist, Stevens Magic Emporium, and what the heck Magic Makers too. This will be to increase the price of all DVDs to atleast $150. If the gas price can go up, why not the DVD price too. Any takers?
I will specifically ask them to keep the stinkers at the price value of $35.
To believe is Magic.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Here.....here!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2007-01-10 21:13, harishjose wrote:
My only complaint is that the price is not $500 per DVD. Would had kept the curious ones out.

HarishJose,

IMHO, a $500.00/DVD pricing policy by all sellers would have done more than kept the curious ones out. It would have caused piracy and a black market on an untold scale and, at best, would have temporarily dried up market demand and market sales.

I don't know about you, but there is no DVD that I can think of that I would pay $500.00 for. And even if a person could afford to and did pay $500.00 for a certain highly desired and rare DVD, he wouldn't do that very often. You will only be able to make a small finite number of $500.00 purchases. Perhaps, for you, you can count that number on the fingers of both hands. For others, I predict that it would, at best, be counted only on the middle finger of one hand. Hence, my prediction that such a uniform pricing practice would, at best, only temporarily dry up the market and/or cause piracy to run rampant.

From a practical standpoint, competition will prevent such a uniformly high pricing policy from ever being successful. Why? Because if someone is selling a DVD for $500.00, another magician will be happy to put out the same (similar) DVD for $250.00 and then, seeing that, another magician will be happy to put out an equivalent DVD for $125.00--etc. until you get down to the highest price that consumers will reluctantly pay and which is also a price that is low enough to discourage meaningful competition.

Parenthetically, that price seems to have bottomed out at about $34.95 for one DVD or $99.00 for a 3 volume set for DVDs from a known maker of high quality DVDs. These prices did not come about by throwing a dart at a board. They resulted by trial and error and by market surveys. The Information Age will not be denied and certainly not by a pricing strategy of artificially high prices for original purchases.

Just, IMHO.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Tivoli
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris (France)
252 Posts

Profile of Tivoli
Hi Folks

Those DVD are top quality and will come, I hope, just like a standard way of releasing a magic product.
Bruno is known in the old Europe for is great way of thinking and also for his way of using IT.
With those DVD he wanted to do a really great product and he did.
I can't say it's cheap, right, but I can say it's top magic and way of thinking.
So I'm ready to put money in something that is top of top just like a jacket or a suite from Hogo Boss, Smalto or Versace.... Smile.

So Thanks Bruno to share your skills and your great magic with us
Regards
Arthur Tivoli
Arthur Tivoli
Fantaisiste-Magicien
www.arthurtivoli.com
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Back to the same old question 'How much are you willing to pay', or 'How much is this really worth'. It is only worth what people will pay for it. I would like to see some trailors to the DVDs to know what is included in each set, even just a 30 second snippet. The chop cup DVD sounds nice, but I would want to see a short clip of parts of the routines or moves. Even if they cover up everything that has happened, just so you see the basic effect or visual part, I would want to see what is costing so much
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 03:39, Tivoli wrote:
So I'm ready to put money in something that is top of top just like a jacket or a suite from Hogo Boss, Smalto or Versace.... Smile.
Arthur Tivoli

Arthur,

Are you suggesting that your "Tivoliland" DVD is valued correctly at $34.95 when compared to the value inherent in a $160.00 Bruno Copin DVD? Your DVD was very good and I just cannot believe that Bruno's DVD is worth (and contains) four and a half times the information and value of your DVD. Are Bruno's routines and presentations unique and so finely honed so as to add such high intrinsic value to his DVDs? Are these the "Holy Grail" of performances?

Actually, your designer clothes analogy is quite interesting. For the most part, the actual real differences and value between a "famous label" luxury item and a more plebian "version" is not in direct proportion to the inherent value of each. Rather it is in the desirability and "status" of owing the more expensive item--and then having others know that you can afford the more expensive version. That is why they are called "status symbols".

$160.00 for a DVD? The Hugo Boss or Versace of magic DVDs? No thanks, I'm just window shopping. I'll stick with "Tivoliland", thank you very much.

Best regards,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Do all of the routines on the DVDs strictly use IT? If so, there are lighting, hook-up and venue considerations to be considered thereby making the routines, even though well thought out and performed, inherently restricting.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
It all goes back to market theory. I am of the camp that if I have great material, and I put out a dvd, I should be able to charge whatever I want to release my "babies." Surely, a great trick is worth at least $20. If there are 8 great tricks on a dvd, there's nothing wrong with charging $160 for the dvd. But it all comes down to market forces and your goal as a producer. If you want to make a profit, $160 is unreasonable because few will pay that much. Hence teh $30 dvd is born as that seems to be the price the market dictates. If your goal as a producer is not profit, however, the sky is the limit.

As for these dvds, they sound interesting. As much as I hate demos, this would be a set that would probably benefit from a montage demo since most people I'm assuming have never heard of Bruno.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Most people will not hear of Bruno at $160 a pop but that might be how he wants it.
Paul Gross
View Profile
Special user
574 Posts

Profile of Paul Gross
Hello,

When we were first informed about the Bruno Copin line over a year ago we made a huge commitment to purchase. After receiveing the first shipment, Hocus Pocus has purchased all existing inventory of the Bruno Copin Line available in the USA. We have all items in stock for immediate delivery. We have waited a full year to be able to offer this to our customers. These effects are like nothing you have ever seen before. The production quality of the DVD's and the props supplied are of the finest quality. Please feel free to contact us for any information regarding the Copin Line. It truly is a great honor to be able to offer this line to the magic community.

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Best Regards,

Paul Gross

Owner

http://www.hocus-pocus.com
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I have heard about production quality of other dvds but will have to wait to hear reviews to see if they are worth the money.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I agree with Christopher's post that considering the huge investment to purchase these dvds as well as the extra supplies he is selling (special IT) to do these routines, a small online demo from teh dvds should be put up on HP's site so that potential buyers could see a smaple of his effects.

Michael
—Hakim, Loreweaver
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » FRIENDS DVD A AND 2 BY BRUNO COPIN, $160.00 PER DVD!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL